Sign in to follow this  
peroni

What would you like to see in XP12?

Might seem exotic, but I would like to see more 3rd party developers use the native x-plane tools instead of all sorts of plugins, scripts, bridges, libraries and so on. 

This goes from scenery to development frameworks. Laminar brought fmod but some still use sound3d. Then the scenery gateway but developers still use object libraries. There's also SASL/lua and similar tools that could be somehow included in the x-plane SDK. 

This has been discussed in the past: https://developer.x-plane.com/2013/03/three-levels-of-lua/

But I still hope to see more coherence in the future. 

• Upvote 1

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

47 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I've spoken about this to someone who knows more about the logistics around it.  Unless something has been done behind the scenes, this is, very likely, illegal if Laminar take it on board.  Personally, I would love it.  I have more information on the legalities, but this isn't the place to discuss those things.

The author is asking Laminar to optimize terrain and DSF loading logic as it was much more efficient back in XP11.  He is not asking for any help with AutoOrtho so no legal issues involved.  

• Like 1

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

Just now, Sims Smith said:

The author is asking Laminar to optimize terrain and DSF loading logic as it was much more efficient back in XP11.  He is not asking for any help with AutoOrtho so no legal issues involved.  

Apologies for the misunderstanding.  

In that case, disregard my post.

4 hours ago, Murmur said:

Pretty much all of those failures are possible in X-Plane. Although in some cases the 3d model of the aircraft will not show the part missing.

Basically what I wrote directly above your post 😉 and as announced - here is the proof.

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

Would like to see something in the Options to adjust tree size.  Yes I know there is a "tree fix" available for download, but it still doesn't provide an easy method to this function.  This is not show stopper for me, but I do think it would be useful if not too big of a programming chore.

• Like 1

I don't believe this site is kept up to date with all XP12 features released in RC6.  https://feedback.x-plane.com/?view=completed . It will be interesting to see how many items we dreamed about already got implemented. 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

A round of "make-a-wish" for new year's? I'm in.

• Zink (it's coming though)
  • Love for the default MD-80 (all cockpit controls functioning, higher resolution EFIS, polishing for the systems)
  • Regenerated default global scenery with higher resolution vector lines
  • Fixes for frame drops around dusk and dawn
  • Improved rendering quality when in front of clouds (staircase effect, anti-aliasing)
  • Fixing all bugs in the ATC system
  • AI with flight plan support
  • "Miserable user" function that locks people out of XP when they post unwarranted criticism about it on the internet.

3 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

Might seem exotic, but I would like to see more 3rd party developers use the native x-plane tools instead of all sorts of plugins, scripts, bridges, libraries and so on. 

This goes from scenery to development frameworks. Laminar brought fmod but some still use sound3d. Then the scenery gateway but developers still use object libraries. There's also SASL/lua and similar tools that could be somehow included in the x-plane SDK. 

This has been discussed in the past: https://developer.x-plane.com/2013/03/three-levels-of-lua/

But I still hope to see more coherence in the future. 

Are there still new (payware) releases that do not use fmod? I thought it was the de facto standard by now unless a product originated in the pre-XP11 days.

Maybe all those third party libraries should be amalgamated into a single huge library instead (i.e. added to OpenScneryX)?

SASL and Gizmo bring various capabilities to the table that only become relevant if you want to do something outside of default aircraft level sophistication, such as custom 2D menus, custom 3D cockpit displays and digital rights management (copy protection), so they have their reason for existence.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

5 hours ago, peroni said:
  • accumulation both on aircraft and on terrain   (Austin confirmed to Baber20 this is coming)

I think Baber20 talked about acurate snow coverage. I didn’t see a confirmation for snow and ice accumulating on aircraft. But i may be wrong.

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

5 hours ago, GoranM said:
5 hours ago, peroni said:

Ability to assign or remove actions to the mouse just like it is possible for the keyboard, for example to disable mouse wheel zooming

This is up to the aircraft author.

Allow me to understand, why should the mouse be handled differently than the keyboard? If I have a mouse with 6 buttons, why can't I decide what each of those does? 
I can't think of why this should be handled by the aircaft author?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bjoern said:
  • "Miserable user" function that locks people out of XP when they post unwarranted criticism about it on the internet.

Ha!! That's funny ... In another flight sim forum, a user complained about X-Plane and I commented: "See? That's the builtin function for users who are complaining unwarranted." 😅

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

3 minutes ago, Franz007 said:

I think Baber20 talked about acurate snow coverage. I didn’t see a confirmation for snow and ice accumulating on aircraft. But i may be wrong.

Yes you're right, I cannot modify that post any longer but I will do so tomorrow when I post an updated list with the newest items.

• Like 1

I know that this thread is aging but I'll chime in with my wish for updated default avionics, especially the G1000.

I dream of the day that I can have my Aerobask DA50RG with a G1000Nxi with the same level of (or better) functionality as can be found in Working Title's NXi.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1