Sign in to follow this  
Air1

Tobii Eye Tracker 5

Can anyone advise if it’s ok with a 38” wide monitor? Their website suggests it’s not unfortunately. I’ve been having issues with TrackIR freezing near the start of flights recently so I’m in the market for an improvement.

@Killieboy64

The 'eye tracking' is theoretically limited to 28 inches - but seems to work fine on my 32"monitor.

The 'head tracking' is not subject to the same limitation and I have seen people using it on 42" monitors without any issues

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

34 minutes ago, TonyD said:

@Killieboy64

The 'eye tracking' is theoretically limited to 28 inches - but seems to work fine on my 32"monitor.

The 'head tracking' is not subject to the same limitation and I have seen people using it on 42" monitors without any issues

I've got a 43" monitor and have no issues.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

13 hours ago, richbonneau said:

You can map the center/reset function to anything you want (I'm using the space bar) and the toggle head tracking on/off can also be mapped to whatever you want.

Does it have a pause assignment as well? Can they be assigned to joysticks? 

2 hours ago, Killieboy64 said:

Can anyone advise if it’s ok with a 38” wide monitor? Their website suggests it’s not unfortunately. I’ve been having issues with TrackIR freezing near the start of flights recently so I’m in the market for an improvement.

I use it on a 49inch curved tv at 1 metre distance with no issue

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Does it have a pause assignment as well? Can they be assigned to joysticks? 

You can pause, however this does not work like track ir which pauses at the position you are looking at. Tobi pauses and moves the view back to centre. To over come this i create specific views of the controls/ dials/ switches you require for each aircraft. Pause Tobi select view adjust control unpause Tobi back to looking around.

It is a hindrance at first but soon becomes second nature and  makes it easier to manipulate controls and dials, than with head tracking enabled.

I have re- assigned the key calls for saved views to my keyboard number pad to make changing view as simple as possible.

6 minutes ago, Simple B said:

You can pause, however this does not work like track ir which pauses at the position you are looking at. Tobi pauses and moves the view back to centre. To over come this i create specific views of the controls/ dials/ switches you require for each aircraft. Pause Tobi select view adjust control unpause Tobi back to looking around.

It is a hindrance at first but soon becomes second nature and  makes it easier to manipulate controls and dials, than with head tracking enabled.

I have re- assigned the key calls for saved views to my keyboard number pad to make changing view as simple as possible.

That's exactly what I needed to know and that renders it unusable for me. The pause feature of TrackIR is critcal for ease of use as far as I'm concerned. The work around you are using is an immersion killer and would feel like a major step backwards.

I remember when Asobo broke the pause feature a year or so ago so that when you paused TrackIR the view would snap to forward and centre. I stopped using the sim until they fixed it because I found it that intolerable.

Why on earth have they omitted this from head tracking? It's a critical function, surely.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, Malaromane said:

For those of you in the TrackIR camp who don't like the wires running to your headset, might I suggest one of these:
https://www.trackhat.org/product-page/trackhat-clip-plus

I've been using one for years and it's worked perfectly for me. No pesky wires.

All I have ever used is the track IR clip that comes standard with the Track IR. I just attach it to a Visor, no wires, and it works great, in fact some say it works better than the wired one. https://www.trackir.com/accessories

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

I used TIR for 13 years after it finally broke and moved on to Tobii. Turned off eye tracking and only use head tracking, it does the job. I like the fact that I don't have to use the clip or dealing with any wires. The only complaint I have is that it is not behaving as good in the dark room as TIR, it jerks for me and I just can't find a sweet spot.

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I had TrackIR for over a decade and made the switch to Tobii a few months ago. Long story short, if Tobii was as accurate as TrackIR it would be a no-brainer for me personally. I enjoy not having to wear a hat or have anything clipped to my headphone with wires as well as being able to use it in a bright room with windows open and not have sun/reflections interfere with the tracking.

Tracking is... fair. TrackIR seemed more snappy and precise. Tobbi is more smooth and fluid. For me mostly flying tubeliners and a bit of GA it works. My main issue is in certain head positions while keeping my head stable the camera is twitchy. For example, I will lean in and look down and two the right and hold my head still to look at something and the camera will shake a little bit making it hard to click accurately. This is really only at extreme angles but it is annoying. 

My biggest gripe - when contacting customer support they were super helpful and responsive (even during the holiday period) but at the end of the day their guidance was to use FaceTrackNoIR, a third party payware software, instead of their own software. I sent them a video of the issue and they acknowledged what I was experiencing and said their R&D team is aware and is working on a major software update that should resolve this but it will take time. But I was a little miffed by the fact that I spent $250 on this product only for them to suggest I pay more for a third party software to make it work better.

If they actually push out and update that resolves the issue and improves accuracy I'll be a happy camper. In the meantime I've just changed my habits to accommodate its shortcomings. 

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

18 hours ago, Air1 said:

I have been a user of TrackIR 5 for many years and just changed to Tobii Eye Tracker 5. It is such an improvement for me. I don't use VR and have no plans too. So this just works for me right out of the box. I am manly a low and slow pilot and don't do tube liners and just like to look around. The Tobii is such an immersion improvement. It just works.  

Because of you and thanks to you i have ordered one just a minute ago 🙂

Artur 

6 hours ago, Killieboy64 said:

Works OK for me on a Samsung 39" TV Monitor.

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |