Sign in to follow this  
mikethe6th

Blurry Graphics when not in 4K

Hi,

I've been tinkering with some settings trying to increase some fps. My current mointor resoltion and MSFS is 4K. When I reduce the MSFS resolution, everything looks a bit blurry. Is this because I'm using a 4K screen to show a lesser image? If so, is there anything that can be done to overcome the blurriness?

Thanks

I have my full screen resolution set to 3840x2160

I have my Render Scaling set to 60 which = (2303x1295)

I have AMD FidelityFX Sharpening maxed out at 200

Overall it looks pretty good and gets good performance.

• Like 1

The answer though is yes. If your monitor is native 4k, you will need to tinker with sharpening etc or it will be a little blurry.

• Like 1

If you have an nVidia card, the GeForce Experience app lets you set render scaling and sharpening in the settings tab. Works like a charm.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

2 hours ago, mikethe6th said:

Hi,

I've been tinkering with some settings trying to increase some fps. My current mointor resoltion and MSFS is 4K. When I reduce the MSFS resolution, everything looks a bit blurry. Is this because I'm using a 4K screen to show a lesser image? If so, is there anything that can be done to overcome the blurriness?

Thanks

Mike--are you GPU-limited, is that what is containing your frame rate?

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, decker89 said:

I have my full screen resolution set to 3840x2160

I have my Render Scaling set to 60 which = (2303x1295)

I have AMD FidelityFX Sharpening maxed out at 200

Overall it looks pretty good and gets good performance.

They say that great minds think alike. Those are my identical settings as well -- 4K screen resolution, Render Scale 60, and AMD sharpening maxed to 200. I'm constantly experimenting, but I always come back to those same settings as @decker89.

I use a 75-inch 4K TV as my display, and I sit very close to it. So I'm especially alert to any degradation in graphics quality. Nonetheless, the difference between Render Scale at 100 and Render Scale at 60 is insignificant to me, especially since the AMD sharpening technique was introduced to the sim. FPS, however, enjoys a huge boost from lowering the Render Scale. Because of this extra frame boost, I can keep my other settings on a mix of Ultra and High, even on my 8-year-old system.

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 hours ago, David Mills said:

They say that great minds think alike.

Actually I think you're the one who gave me the tip on these settings a couple months ago. They worked great on my end so I've stuck to them. Thank you for your help!

• Like 2

Thank you all. I’ll have a play with your suggestions this afternoon.

13 hours ago, Noel said:

Mike--are you GPU-limited, is that what is containing your frame rate?

I’m using a 3080. It’s only ever an issue if I’m trying to do too much - land at iniBuilds EGLL whilst recording a video for instance. 

12 hours ago, David Mills said:

They say that great minds think alike. Those are my identical settings as well -- 4K screen resolution, Render Scale 60, and AMD sharpening maxed to 200. I'm constantly experimenting, but I always come back to those same settings as @decker89.

I use a 75-inch 4K TV as my display, and I sit very close to it. So I'm especially alert to any degradation in graphics quality. Nonetheless, the difference between Render Scale at 100 and Render Scale at 60 is insignificant to me, especially since the AMD sharpening technique was introduced to the sim. FPS, however, enjoys a huge boost from lowering the Render Scale. Because of this extra frame boost, I can keep my other settings on a mix of Ultra and High, even on my 8-year-old system.

Same approach here with a 4770k@4.3 , and a GTX1080TI FTW3.

Michael Moe 

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

20 hours ago, decker89 said:

Actually I think you're the one who gave me the tip on these settings a couple months ago. They worked great on my end so I've stuck to them. Thank you for your help!

What! I actually helped someone? This is completely unprecedented. I think I'll print out and frame your very kind words. 

• Like 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

4 hours ago, David Mills said:

What! I actually helped someone? This is completely unprecedented. I think I'll print out and frame your very kind words. 

Great community

great exchange of knowledge and information

that what keeps me and my old PC going

many thanks to all.

• Like 2

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Not sure what has changed, but I no longer have the render scaling slider in my MSFS options.

I was just going to give things a try.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

50 minutes ago, richbonneau said:

Not sure what has changed, but I no longer have the render scaling slider in my MSFS options.

I was just going to give things a try.

I believe if you have enabled some of the newer Nvidia settings toward the top of the graphics settings, the render scaling option will disappear. I have an older card, so I can't actually go check this out. But I believe someone mentioned this scenario a few months ago. Try disabling some of the new Nvidia options near the top of the graphics settings. Render scaling should reappear.

A bit offtopic, and I know this might be blasphemy to ask, but why are some of you running 4K monitors only to need to run the game at less than 1440p via render scaling? Could probably save a bunch of money going for a good 1440p monitor then.

2 hours ago, Prpn said:

A bit offtopic, and I know this might be blasphemy to ask, but why are some of you running 4K monitors only to need to run the game at less than 1440p via render scaling? Could probably save a bunch of money going for a good 1440p monitor then.

for me it's because I'm using a 55" Samsung TV.