Sign in to follow this  
martinboehme

Maddog update February 14

As far as I can remember, I have always used third party sounds with my MD80s. I really enjoyed TSS and used them for all kinds of aircraft. I do find that the FTsim sounds were easy to install, especially when compared to the Maddog X cockpit immersion installation. With that said, I have really enjoyed the aircraft in MSFS and I feel that the simulation goes beyond the sounds. I rather have an aircraft that operates realistically vs an aircraft that sounds spot on, but operates like a default aircraft. In fact, the level d simulators that I do my recurrents in sound horrendous. I guess the focus is on procedures and flight model vs graphics and sounds. But any who, the MSFS MD80 has come along well. I joined their beta team and have been driving to push some of the 80's characteristics into the model. You will see this with the approach pitch, ground effect and flare behavior. As always, fly safe!

Rick 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, btacon said:

Not true. For the MD-82 all you need to do is drop a folder and file into your main AC directory. Then run the python script (file) and you’re finished. 30 seconds tops. 
-B

But in order to do so you have to instal Python or you have to hack the file.. Somehow. And presumably you have to repeat the process every time there is an update. Fine if it's free and you don't mind hacking stuff but not when you pay imo.

And is there any way to stop the monthly direct debit once you have committed? Not that I can see?

Edited by jarmstro
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Virtualpilot65 said:

Man I was really hoping they'd do something with the sounds as well.  For 80USD why would I have to go somewhere else to buy sounds for this bird....just my 2c.

I'm with you. Just on the principle of having paid more than any other aircraft, I'm not spending another dollar nor jumping through hoops to improve this aircraft's lousy sound design.

I will install the update, however.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

But in order to do so you have to instal Python or you have to hack the file.. Somehow. And presumably you have to repeat the process every time there is an update. Fine if it's free and you don't mind hacking stuff but not when you pay imo.

And is there any way to stop the monthly direct debit once you have committed? Not that I can see?

Installing python is not a complicated endeavor though.  Regarding the recurrent charge.  You can cancel at any time.  Right from the site.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Just did a quick test flight, and it lands really nicely now -- a massive improvement over the previous version, which floated massively and required significant forward pressure to prevent it from ballooning.

3 hours ago, G550flyer said:

But any who, the MSFS MD80 has come along well. I joined their beta team and have been driving to push some of the 80's characteristics into the model. You will see this with the approach pitch, ground effect and flare behavior

Sounds as if you had a lot to do with these improvements -- thank you!

• Like 4

Are spoilers working okay for everyone?  I set a spoilers axis and the MD spoilers arm goes kid of crazy when I move the axis control, but always jumps back to zero. I can't drag the spoilers arm with a mouse either. Or arm them.

Unfortunately, my system and HOTAS is brand new so I'm not sure if it's the new release or my setup (which works fine with most other aircraft I've tried)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

8 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Best simulation in MSFS. PMDG or Fenix who?

I just discovered VR in this plane. OMG I can't stay out of it! 

Eddie
KABQ

I used to luv flying this craft, but spending more money than any other addon with terrible sounds, is a COMPLETE, TURNOFF for me.  I would have figured by now their would have been an Update on there site.  This used to be my #1 craft, but sorry to ay no longer, flying in silence is not realistic for me, a great disappointment.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

With its ugly textures, its ugly sound, way too complicated FPL import and calculations, this is unfortunately not an addon for 2022/23.

Too sad, the developers haven't achieved the jump over to this new simulator.

And currently I do not get more then 22 FPS (needless to say I have 40 FPS with Fenix, PMDG etc)

So, will land her and retire her until the next update probably, but I have no hopes any more 😒

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if it is not the best in terms of textures or sounds it’s still a joy to fly the maddog 

• Like 5

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, guenseli said:

With its ugly textures, its ugly sound, way too complicated FPL import and calculations, this is unfortunately not an addon for 2022/23.

Too sad, the developers haven't achieved the jump over to this new simulator.

And currently I do not get more then 22 FPS (needless to say I have 40 FPS with Fenix, PMDG etc)

So, will land her and retire her until the next update probably, but I have no hopes any more 😒

FPL Import is the same as in the Fenix now. One-click Simbrief import via the EFB and/or FMC.
As for the calculations: What do you mean „complicated“? That you have to enter the wind data yourself instead of auto-filling it via the METAR like in the Fenix?

As for the FPS: There‘s something wrong for you apparently. For me it‘s between the Fenix and PMDG, i.e. better than the Fenix worse than PMDG (but not much).

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I went ahead and paid the $7.50 CDN so I could access the FTSim sounds.  The Maddog sounds are fantastic and really improve the aircraft.  I downloaded sound packs for a number of other aircraft so I’m at around $1 per sound pack if I only stay signed up for the one month.  Not sure what I’ll do there, depends on frequency of updates I guess.

I’m not sure how to figure out which aircraft sound packs are available at the less expensive FTSim tier and whether that one includes the Maddog or not.

Overall I agree we shouldn’t need sound packs for such an expensive aircraft but given the choice between stubbornly using the default sounds or paying a small amount of money for the benefit of a great sound experience I’ll choose the latter.

Its been a while since I flew the Maddog but I couldn’t get the GPU to connect…pressing the GPU button on the EFB didn’t do anything. 

I was generally rusty and need a repeat flight tonight to get back in the saddle!

• Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

6 hours ago, Sunshine13 said:

I used to luv flying this craft, but spending more money than any other addon with terrible sounds, is a COMPLETE, TURNOFF for me.  I would have figured by now their would have been an Update on there site.  This used to be my #1 craft, but sorry to ay no longer, flying in silence is not realistic for me, a great disappointment.

FTSim+ I couldn't recommend enough! Paired with FSRealistic and its a match made in heaven.

• Like 1