Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Analog Baron/Bo with failures coming!

Wonder what time they're going for?  It's already the 9th in London - where I believe just flight is based.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, mmcmah said:

I have the Black Square King Air, which I LOVE. I really like the analog gauges more than the all glass cockpits.

That said, what kind of flying would you pick a Bonanza or a Baron for that you wouldn't use a Kodiak, 414 Chancellor or Van's RV-14 (all of which I already own)? Aside from the analog gauges that the Kodiak and RV-14 don't have, I mean. 

The turbocharged 58p Beechcraft Baron will be MUCH faster than a Kodiak/414/RV-14 with a higher ceiling and longer range.  So ... depending exactly what variant of the 58p they model, you are looking at (TAS) :

• a normal cruise up around 220-230 kts,
  • max cruise around  240 kts
  • Vne more like 260 kts (about 235 indicated)
  • range of around 1200 miles
  • ceiling of 25,000 feet

https://www.bonanza.org/aircraft-index/browse-by-type/baron/baron-58p/

Those numbers are close to Aerostar territory and not that much behind turboprop light twins like the Cheyenne.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

The baron and C414 are actually very similar in cruise at altitude.  At least the one FSW modeled.  It's got the RAM IV conversion so it will also do about 230 ktas at FL250.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's now 10:53 am here in the UK and just checked the JustFlight site and it continues to say "EMAIL ME WHEN AVAILABLE" Anxious!

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

8 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Wonder what time they're going for?  It's already the 9th in London - where I believe just flight is based.

JF seem to put new content up around 12PM local time so at the moment that's GMT/UTC.

• Like 1

Out now!

• Upvote 1

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

Downloading yay!!

Let's burn this candle!!!!  (lol ok wrong type of plane)

And I already aliased a third party paint (hmmm tips need to be painted probably) because I want mine to look good!

52736559680_d76ebbe6ff_k.jpgcandle by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

😐 as neat as this looks, they still didn't simulate engine combustion correctly. EGT should RISE when on a single magneto because combustion takes longer and is an "uneven" burn, so it's not complete until later in the combustion cycle. When doing a mag check, you're checking the RPM drop as well as the EGT rise. If you suspect a fowled magneto, leaning the mixture further will help clear the magneto. Generally speaking, a higher than normal EGT can be a good indication of engine efficiency. If the EGT is indicating higher than expected, the engine may be showing signs of aging by having a less powerful combustion (counterintuitive, I know). The only time I've seen this work correctly in sim was with the A2A stuff and in X-Plane. It's a small detail, but the first thing I look for when checking out piston plane simulations. I hope they address this small issue...it would add much to the experience...for me at least.

• Like 1

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

8 minutes ago, V1ROTA7E said:

😐 as neat as this looks, they still didn't simulate engine combustion correctly. EGT should RISE when on a single magneto because combustion takes longer and is an "uneven" burn, so it's not complete until later in the combustion cycle. When doing a mag check, you're checking the RPM drop as well as the EGT rise. If you suspect a fowled magneto, leaning the mixture further will help clear the magneto. Generally speaking, a higher than normal EGT can be a good indication of engine efficiency. If the EGT is indicating higher than expected, the engine may be showing signs of aging by having a less powerful combustion (counterintuitive, I know). The only time I've seen this work correctly in sim was with the A2A stuff and in X-Plane. It's a small detail, but the first thing I look for when checking out piston plane simulations. I hope they address this small issue...it would add much to the experience...for me at least.

I swear I watched a technical video of the plane and it did this.

If you write them maybe they can add it if it's not working correctly.

This is the best analog we've had so far

52736175846_a230731c36_k.jpgcandle3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Just now, ryanbatc said:

If you get a sec, would you test it? I really want to support these guys since they have done a fantastic job with their other planes.

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

1 minute ago, V1ROTA7E said:

If you get a sec, would you test it? I really want to support these guys since they have done a fantastic job with their other planes.

I just tookoff but I will when I land

52736439384_5a20ee2fec_k.jpgcandle4 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

31 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

If you write them maybe they can add it if it's not working correctly.

This is the best analog we've had so far

52736175846_a230731c36_k.jpgcandle3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I too recall seeing that mentioned in the technical video.

42 minutes ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Unless I'm doing something wrong I am seeing a drop of egt and rpm.  It is the turbocharged version but I don't think that would make a difference.

Also here's a pic of the GNS stack in case some prefer that.  (Note I used a Direct To so the FPL data isn't currently showing on the Garmin CDI - that's a WT bug).  

52736739313_ee8476a4fc_k.jpgGNSstack by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |