Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

5800X > 5800X3D Question

I'm wondering if many here have made this upgrade and whether they found it a cost effective boost to MSFS performance. I'm in two minds on whether to make the leap on this or put the money towards the next Motherboard/CPU upgrade. At the moment I'm leaning towards putting the cash towards the next major upgrade which may be the 7800X3D depending how that plays out.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Depends on how much cash you have to blow.  Next generation stuff is a small bang for the buck, but the upgrade from a 5600X to a 5800X3D gave me a big performance boost 

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

14 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Depends on how much cash you have to blow.  Next generation stuff is a small bang for the buck, but the upgrade from a 5600X to a 5800X3D gave me a big performance boost 

Care to elaborate? "big" doesn't really tell me much.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

The whole sim got a lot smoother.  Frametimes reduces drastically.  FPS shot up in areas where CPU power is essential (big airports).  It's a worthwhile upgrade if you play games that take advantage of the extra cache.

Ryzen 5800X3D | X570 Aorus Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 | RX 6800 | 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | 2TB Crucial P3 | RM650x | Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 | NZXT S340 Elite | MSI 34" 3440x1440 100Hz

17 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Care to elaborate? "big" doesn't really tell me much.

Hard to say really.  Big gains in heavy scenerios and even bigger at altitude (maybe 33%).  I've not done any precise tests as I fly with a lot of addons at times.  The new CPU less the money I got on ebay for the old one only cost me a couple of hundred for a pretty massive boost.  If you go for a next gen CPU, GPU, MOBO and DDR5 RAM it will cost thousands for a gain that is not worth a fraction of that cost.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I can't give numbers, but I upgraded from a 5800X to the 3d and it made a significant impact both in FPS and smoothness in virtually every scenario. I would say it is definitely worth the money for the improvement you get, and it won't cost you nearly as much as a 7800X3d and its necessary hardware.

Edited by Jeeper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jeeper said:

I can't give numbers, but I upgraded from a 5800X to the 3d and it made a significant impact both in FPS and smoothness in virtually every scenario.

I did the same and I concur. The chip is amazing and is a no-brainer for people still on the AM4 platform. 

• Like 1

I've done this upgrade and I agree the whole sim definitely seems smoother with higher fps not that I'm obsessed by fps just a smooth experience.

5800X3D with my 6800XT gives me a great experience at 4k and so no need to upgrade this generation.

• Like 1

RYZEN 7 5800X3D EIGHT CORE 4.5GHZ,  CORSAIR CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 VENGEANCE LPX 64GB SAPPHIRE NITRO  AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16368 MB) 

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Samsung U32J59x (DisplayPort) [31.5" VA LCD] Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD ZP1000GM30002 (ITB)WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 (1TB)

So far you are all changing my mind and I'm tempted to go for it. Currently I can get the 5800X3D for £320. The 5800X is now selling for £220 so if I can get at least £100 for my 5800X the cost will only be a couple of hundred quid. I have a couple of weeks to think about it anyway.

If the gains are what I am sort of expecting I may have a rig that will see me happy enough for the next few years. I'm really looking to increase performance at big airports with some AI traffic. It's the only time I'm not getting the frame rate and smoothness I require really. Ini Heathrow in the Fenix with FSLTL and I'm dropping down to the mid 40's at times and with Track IR and it's just not fluid to my eye. I'm sure most would see what I see and say "what are you moaning about?" but I need to stay above 48 and in the freesync range of my monitor. Really, anything below 55 and I can see it clearly and it spoils the immersion. It looks like this chip may just get me into that zone in almost all scenarios. Just.

If I do go for it I may take the opportunity to move to Windows 11 as well.

Keep the info coming guys. Every little helps.

29 minutes ago, Jazz said:

So far you are all changing my mind and I'm tempted to go for it. Currently I can get the 5800X3D for £320. The 5800X is now selling for £220 so if I can get at least £100 for my 5800X the cost will only be a couple of hundred quid. I have a couple of weeks to think about it anyway.

If the gains are what I am sort of expecting I may have a rig that will see me happy enough for the next few years. I'm really looking to increase performance at big airports with some AI traffic. It's the only time I'm not getting the frame rate and smoothness I require really. Ini Heathrow in the Fenix with FSLTL and I'm dropping down to the mid 40's at times and with Track IR and it's just not fluid to my eye. I'm sure most would see what I see and say "what are you moaning about?" but I need to stay above 48 and in the freesync range of my monitor. Really, anything below 55 and I can see it clearly and it spoils the immersion. It looks like this chip may just get me into that zone in almost all scenarios. Just.

Just do it you wont be disappointed plus it will love your 6900xt.

RYZEN 7 5800X3D EIGHT CORE 4.5GHZ,  CORSAIR CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 VENGEANCE LPX 64GB SAPPHIRE NITRO  AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16368 MB) 

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Samsung U32J59x (DisplayPort) [31.5" VA LCD] Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD ZP1000GM30002 (ITB)WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 (1TB)

39 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Most of the time, I lock FPS at 30 at pretty much maxed out settings for the smoothness it gives me.  Also at 30 my GPU fan runs at 30% whereas unlimited at well over 100 fps the fan is running at 90%.

There are only a few addon airports and massive photogrammetry sceneries that force me to turn down render scale, LODs and the like (I run at an LOD of 300 at 2k rez).

I fully researched before getting the 5800X3D watching videos, reading articles, reading forums and asking questions before buying it and I have not been disappointed in the slightest.

Price up new gen CPUs, GPUs, MOBOs, RAM, etc. and you may find it way way out of your price range (the costs are ridiculous and unjustifiable in my view) whereas for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds you can get a big performance increase and probably a much smoother experience.

Edited by cianpars
  • Upvote 1

So I did an A/B comparison between my old 5600x and the 5800x3d I upgraded to in another thread.  Here's link to my post. But tl;dr is that I saw substantial improvement both quantitatively (20%+ fps) and qualitatively (feels smoother).

In terms of bang for buck though it felt like a no brainer to me, as I got essentially a generational improvement in performance with a drop in CPU to replacement.

• Like 1

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

1 hour ago, bbsmitz said:

So I did an A/B comparison between my old 5600x and the 5800x3d I upgraded to in another thread.  Here's link to my post. But tl;dr is that I saw substantial improvement both quantitatively (20%+ fps) and qualitatively (feels smoother).

In terms of bang for buck though it felt like a no brainer to me, as I got essentially a generational improvement in performance with a drop in CPU to replacement.

Your findings as you describe in your post pretty much concur with what I am seeing from the same upgrade.  Not sure what GPU you are using but I have an RTX3080.

I had the same quandry, @Jazz   5800X to 5800X3D or take the leap to a new m/board and into the 7000 series.

In the end, I came down on the side of the 7000 series option - so I upgraded the motherboard and went for the 7700X.  I also took advantage of the DDR5 RAM speeds available with the new mobo so used to £'s I would have spent on the 5800x3D to, instead, upgrade the RAM at the same time.  I know that, now, I can climb up the 7000's without hitting a major obstacle when the 'more oomph for decent £/$' ratio favours.

It's horses for courses - the only certainty is that we will always spend more than we originally intended to 🙂

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

The biggest bang for the buck for AM4 owners is to upgrade to the 5800X3D chip. You will spend a lot more money on the AM5 platform and I doubt you will see enough improvement to justify the cost. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro