Sign in to follow this  
JETPETER2

Austin told me the anti-aliasing is not broken

Had an email conversation with Austin Meyer today, he said he was unaware the anti-aliasing was broken..... what the )*)#)_#()

after I sent him many screenshots of forum posts from the last few months, to this contrary, he admited it... one was from Ben Sputnick saying how broken it is..... 

Yeah well Austin is the last person you should be taking to about the anti aliasing. The guy is mainly responsible for flight model. I am not surprised he was clueless on the AA issue.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

👆👆👆👆👆

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Would like to see what Austin's X-Plane looks like that it doesn't have jaggies

Maybe we can get to shadow resolutions next too

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, level7 said:

Maybe we can get to shadow resolutions next too

Increased shadow resolution is already in XP12.  It's just hidden in the datarefs.  There is a script that can improve them, but performance takes a slight hit (reason for hiding them).

3 hours ago, level7 said:

Would like to see what Austin's X-Plane looks like that it doesn't have jaggies

I remember a few years ago at a Flightsim show, LR had a stall they were demoing X-Plane 11 with. They were using a small Windows laptop and that's all they had, and it was running on low settings. Clearly, trying to impress the crowd wasn't what they were there for :-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JETPETER2 said:

what the )*)#)_#()

As I tried to explain, at length in the AA thread and before, I havent seen any problems being described as AA problems that are actually AA problems.

And as long as y'all keep calling them AA problems no one is going to have a clue what you are talking about, because testing AA is fairly simple and all the tests show it is working perfectly, passing them all with excellent performance to boot.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

so what on earth causes the jaggies on everthing? if it's not anti aliasing issues? I just don't recall your writings on it so I appologize, but appreciate your insight

14 minutes ago, JETPETER2 said:

jaggies on everthing

two big ones I've seen are 1. low resolution lighting/shadow textures from Screen Space Reflections, this, imho is most often mistaken for AA issues, MD82 wing a perfect example of this, - they mostly seem to disappear on high settings  and 2. "blocks" from the clouds hitting terrain, which definitely need some love, but not something I'd gripe about while there are other issues with the clouds like broken cirrus and the weird pyramid formations that keep popping up every now and again.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

I havent seen any problems being described as AA problems that are actually AA problems.

Well if you can't see AA problems that is good for you then.

For educated users however it is very obvious (and matter of fact) that XP12 has insufficient AA because it relies on outdated AA technology. This results in AA being outright horrible in the sim. And a few us actually won't touch XP12 until this has been properly addressed - by introducing TAA, just like the other sim and basically any other modern game out there.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

5 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

For educated users however it is very obvious (and matter of fact) that XP12 has insufficient AA because it relies on outdated AA technology. This results in AA being outright horrible in the sim. And a few us actually won't touch XP12 until this has been properly addressed - by introducing TAA, just like the other sim and basically any other modern game out there.

No. If that was true someone would have put up a screenshot of a jaggie that would be resolved by any AA technology (no one has, and they can check themselves by running any AA algorithm they want on the screenshot).

AutoATC Developer

8 minutes ago, mSparks said:

No. If that was true someone would have put up a screenshot of a jaggie that would be resolved by any AA technology (no one has, and they can check themselves by running any AA algorithm they want on the screenshot).

I am sorry your contributions are at best comedic to me and I won't be engaging in this discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 minute ago, Colonel X said:

I am sorry your contributions are at best comedic to me and I won't be engaging in this discussion. 

I know, using photoshop to prove yourself wrong would be much more embarrassing than just admitting you were wrong and running off like everyone else making such unfounded statements.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

AA in XP SUX

• Like 4

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

10 hours ago, Baber20 said:

Yeah well Austin is the last person you should be taking to about the anti aliasing. The guy is mainly responsible for flight model. I am not surprised he was clueless on the AA issue.

You're not surprised that the person who created X-plane, who is the founder and owner of Laminar Research, is clueless about a basic graphics issue? 

• Like 2