Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Antonov An-2 is available

It ought to be- the author is the man who created this S U P E R L A T I V E FDE. 

The sum toto of the An-2 experience is amongst the very best captured by flight simulation and I for one am thrilled we finally have her in MSFS.

Now, if Yo-Yo would just bring me my SP-AMN I’d be self-actualized 😉

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I wasn't going to bother, but at £8.39 it would have been silly not to get it. Having briefly looked round, inside and out, I'm astonished - it redefines the expression 'bang per buck'. PILOTS and Virtavia - take note.

• Like 3

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Don't know if it's posted, but Sprocket Simulations made a nice video of it today. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

I note 1 version has a GPS, but is there any sort of basic Autopilot functionality?

I have tried the  Keyboard, Z, & ALT HLD , ALT HDG, which doesn't seem to work.

Any code somewhere that can switch AP On?

T45

22 hours ago, Matchstick said:

It's the most fun engine to start in MSFS since the B247

Only in flight sim would people prefer an inertial/electric starter.  😁

I never had this plane in FSX but I remember how beloved it was back then... I'll have to try it this time!

Andrew Crowley

A real beauty, in and out and it flew like I expected when I skydived for the runway.

Apparently the different prices are a result of a discount for DeLuxe and Premium Deluxe users, Jorg spoke about it in the Dev Live Stream.

I'm on the basic version and it cost me £12.49 : still a real bargain, though!

Edited by johnwillimas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johnwillimas said:

Apparently the different prices are a result of a discount for DeLuxe and Premium Deluxe users, Jorg spoke about it in the Dev Live Stream.

I'm on the basic version and it cost me £12.49 : still a real bargain, though!

Interesting, I wonder why?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I have gathered from some online sources and it appears to Antonov's 2 max crosswind component is only around 11 knots

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

22 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There was also this experimental variant, the AN2e, built for MAI by the MARZ aircraft plant in Moscow ...

omytkv8a0x931.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

All new is well forgotten old. This is old soviet design! When I was working on Antonov 88/89. One of my duties was to bring experimental design model to aerodynamic tube that was located within the factory (there was one bigger one locater at Zhukovski city nearby Moscow). Among others AN-2 variation they were circular wing, B2  Spirt like wing and many other variations. Very cool for 18 old kid to see all that   🙂

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I have gathered from some online sources and it appears to Antonov's 2 max crosswind component is only around 11 knots

Good thing you can land across the runway with this thing. 😅

• Like 5

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

12 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Good thing you can land across the runway with this thing. 😅

There is joke about AN-2 after landing across runway pilot wipes his sweat and say “wow that was some short runway “. Meanwhile copilot looking through side window replies “but also so incredibly wide”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, johnwillimas said:

Apparently the different prices are a result of a discount for DeLuxe and Premium Deluxe users,

What discount is that ?

On 3/22/2023 at 4:58 AM, Matchstick said:

I was wrong about the starter switches  not working - you need to drag and hold them left and right rather clicking on them.

It's the most fun engine to start in MSFS since the B247

The B247 is quite satisfying to start once you get the sequence right. The two common mistakes with the B247D seem mainly related to impatience.  You need to remember to pump fuel pressure up a second time before hitting Engage (the first time is when priming) and you should never hit engage as soon as the button goes green. For a reliable start you need to keep the ground guy cranking until the percentage next to his photo hits 30% which is some 20 or 30 seconds after the engage button becomes available.

The other similarity between the AN-2 and the B247 is the need to stay ahead of temps and pressures.  These are both aircraft where the co-pilot was also a defacto flight engineer who continuously monitored oil temperature and oil pressure. Reacting to a temp or pressure going too high or to low AFTER it is already out of optimal range is often going to be too late and teh damage is already done.  You need to react when the gauges first start to move or even better predict what is about to happen and prepare for it. For example if your engine Ts and Ps are stable and you are about to open the throttle open the cowl flaps a smidgeon, if you are climbing and OAT will drop close the cowl flaps a little.  You should eventually know reasonable settings for any common throttle/OAT combo, that is sort of how it was done in real life.