Sign in to follow this  
aerostar

MSFS Turbulence Airliners

Jeez folks.

I was one of the members teasing the OP early on but he took it all with aplomb.  Now it's just contentious.

I believe the OP has a valid question/point here, which relates to the new turbulence slider.  Isn't it supposed to generate the same type and degree of turbulence as before when set to the Realistic level?  Or has it in fact been dialed down all across the board?

I'm not a real pilot either nor an airliner guy but that isn't the point here.  

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 3

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

29 minutes ago, aerostar said:

where do you fit in ...?

About 600 hours flying real aircraft, and about 30 hours flying full motion sims, civilian and military. Let's hear your experience?

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

39 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Isn't it supposed to generate the same type and degree of turbulence as before when set to the Realistic level? 

No. They announced it back in January that they are tweaking the system and that even the realistic option will be less bumpy than it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

From what a lot of people are saying, the calm weather is greatly improved, while the dangerous weather is a lot less dangerous. Given that 95% of flying will be in calm weather, Asobo made the right choice.

I am looking forward to seeing some plane-rattling weather in the coming years, though. Sometimes blue skies gets boring.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

in the video it's said: in REALISTIC mode the new turbulence are better in general but about the heavy turbulence it's easier to manage them and the aircraft and you need less input on the rudder compared in real life. 

i suppose that Asobo think about Xbox users too who use realistic mode but then use the pad. so the team has improve it but the heavy turbulence have been domesticated so it's easier for all. And what about hard simmers like us and professional hardware? i don't know

ground physic = need an entire system update only for that (x-plane another level)

suspension physic = need an entire system update only for that (x-plane another level)

heavy turbulences = for mainstream users on the rails (but why then you call it REALISTIC in the game menu?) 

3 minutes ago, A330B747 said:

i suppose that Asobo think about Xbox users too who use realistic mode but then use the pad.

The most vocal people from what I saw were on PC so there's little reason to have this speculation.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

7 minutes ago, A330B747 said:

ground physic = need an entire system update only for that (x-plane another level)

suspension physic = need an entire system update only for that (x-plane another level)

heavy turbulences = for mainstream users on the rails (but why then you call it REALISTIC in the game menu?) 

I would absolutely love it if we had an SU focused entirely on ground and suspension physics and another SU entirely focused on the flight model (with the number one priority being whatever makes it so you don't need full aileron into wind and makes PIO so easy in the sim).

But Asobo recently hired the right devs for this job. I'd be surprised if this didn't happen.

• Like 2

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

7 hours ago, aerostar said:

With the voices of the smaller GA aircraft fliers managing to win the day and pressure Asobo/MS to cut down on the amount of turbulence experienced in the cockpit, I find that airliners turbulence effects and realism have been neutered.

I was getting much better more realistic turbulence before in my A320/737 than now.

It is frustrating to be taken a step back in realistic realism development.

It is so unreal looking/feeling when in turbulent weather and the plane hardly   -  drifts, weathercocks, wiggles, bobs, dips, balloons, rocks, rolls and doesn't get windshear...  anymore.

Back to boring approaches that make it harder to maintain interest.....

Can all those who notice this please join and generate a voice directed at Asobo/MS in order to remedy this....   and counter the fair weather (like to have the plane on rails brigade) who don't really know what turbulence is like for real. ( or those who actually DON'T want any turbulence !)

PS - I added this part to let viewers know that yes, I did set the option to 'Realistic'

If you want any aircraft to become more sensitive to turbulent winds you can adjust these 3 parameters in the flight model config:

pitch_gyro_stability = 1
roll_gyro_stability = 1
yaw_gyro_stability = 1

Just replace the "1" with a decimal numbers between 0-1 (such as 0.25, which would be decreasing turbulence stability in an aircraft by 75%).

See if that helps get a better result for you.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just tuned in to AVSim! Before this one goes crackers, you can have pilots with thousands of hours, pilots with a few hours and all the stuff in between, there will always be opinions to what feels most realistic in a stationary home computer regarding gusts and turbulence. It is all about the individual preferences approaching realism based on what the user has experienced in real life.

• Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

In the airline industry, we use these guidelines, I think that the following will shed some light and perhaps a better understanding regarding this "turbulence" topic. Each airplane category will be a factor.

Mountain Waves
Detour around known or forecast mountain wave activity. If a detour is not possible, maintain a flight level at least 50% higher than the mountain range. This avoidance technique should not be attempted if jet stream activity exists near the mountain waves, causing turbulence at all levels from the surface through the tropopause. Severe turbulence accompanied by altimeter errors of up to 2,500 feet can be anticipated in areas encompassing mountain wave activity

Turbulence

General
Turbulence can cause physical injury to cabin occupants. Cabin crewmembers are especially vulnerable to injury due to close proximity to equipment (e.g., galley carts) and the fact that they spend much of their time out of their seat belts.

Light Chop

Slight, rapid, and somewhat rhythmic bumpiness without appreciable changes in altitude or attitude.
Washboard type fluctuations in which the bumpiness is very light. It occurs at rapid and regular intervals and is similar to that encountered in a small speedboat cruising on water ruffled by a five to ten knot wind. There is no airspeed fluctuation and liquids do not spill out of containers.

Light Turbulence

Slight, erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude. Occupants may feel a slight strain against seat belts.
Unsecured objects may be displaced slightly. Food service may be conducted and little to no difficulty is encountered in walking.

Moderate Chop

Rapid bumps or jolts without appreciable changes in aircraft altitude or attitude. Similar to light chop but of greater intensity. The bumps and jolts are sharper, more like riding in an automobile running over railroad ties. Airspeed may fluctuate slightly and liquids will spill out of containers. Cabin service is difficult or not advisable.

Moderate Turbulence

Changes in altitude and/or attitude occur but the aircraft remains in positive control at all times. It usually causes variations in indicated airspeed. Occupants feel definite strains against seat belts. It causes rapid bumps or jolts. Unsecured objects are dislodged. Cabin service and walking are difficult.

Severe Turbulence

Causes large, abrupt changes in altitude, airspeed, and attitude, which at times can cause the aircraft to become momentarily out of control. Occupants are forced violently against seat belts. Unsecured objects are tossed about. Cabin service and walking are impossible.

Extreme Turbulence

Causes the aircraft to be violently tossed about and is practically impossible to control and may cause structural damage.

Clear Air Turbulence

Clear Air Turbulence (CAT) is a very serious operational factor to flight operations at all levels. CAT is
high level turbulence normally above 15,000 feet MSL. CAT is not associated with cumulus clouds or convective activity (thunderstorms)

• Like 6

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I've just cleaned out a bunch of ad hominem insults and bickering and given a few of the offenders some well-deserved time off from the forums.

Vigorous debate of the issues is acceptable--sneering insults directed at others because you don't agree with their opinions is *not*.

Be warned--if you feel the inclination to comment about another poster rather than about what they posted, you're about to be skating on thin ice.  We don't need the acrimony here.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I think the biggest problem with the turbulence is cloud based convective turbulence is completely absent.  It should never be smooth when flying into any cumuliform cloud.  Even cirrus clouds often have some light chop especially if they are associated with frontal systems.  Its like the devs have never been on a real airplane before.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

2 hours ago, aerostar said:

...well I'm glad I'm not the only one...

...and he is a real pilot,   wonder if he is classed as making idiotic suggestions...

....cut to the chase from - 16 mins ....

I don't agree with that in the slightest. I have no idea why he would expect more turbulence in those approaches. The first landing in the 737 is into a 15kt headwind 20 degrees off the nose. That's a 5kt crosswind component, which in a 737 might as well literally be nothing. Why on earth would you expect much (if any) turbulence there? 🤨

The wet weather landing looks entirely appropriate. 21G33kt on a low pressure, ISA- day. Looks spot on. 

I think that people forget that 3/4 of the effect of turbulence is the physical feeling of it - which you can't replicate without visual 'tricks' which if anything completely exaggerate the effect. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Isn't it supposed to generate the same type and degree of turbulence as before when set to the Realistic level?  Or has it in fact been dialed down all across the board?

Bottom line, current realistic setting does not completely equate to pre-SU12 turbulence. Latest info from MS/Asobo on the SU12 turbulence changes were covered in recent Developer livestream, my notes and timestamped video links on this topic from another thread below... note the specific video timestamp link where Seb walks thru the changes for realistic turbulence mode.

Thermals/Turbulence improvements (Seb)

• https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1772471519?t=00h17m06s
  • based on tonnes of feedback from community, lot of improvements
  • impact of sunlight energy: time of day, date, wind ... impact of clouds ... impact of storm clouds and winds
  • extreme thermals and turbulence conditions
  • turbulence control now available, does not take away thermals
  • video on improvements in realistic turbulence mode: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1772471519?t=00h18m29s
    • thermals are very dependent on solar irradiance, latitude, time of day, etc play a big role
    • thermals are quite well aligned and appropriate according to clouds (and clouds' density/etc) in the sim now
      • keep in mind the visual representation don't quite show the true alignment in sim since it's visually hard to do
    • wind shear, vortex systems etc can arise in extreme situations
    • there are more planned improvements to keep improving thermals, and to keep implementing more from community feedback and gathering feedback from more pilots

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD