Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

MS Server Problems and VPNs: IMPORTANT

I want to briefly share my experiences recently with server-related streaming problems for MSFS, along with the solution I found thanks to others' expertise. I think many of you will relate to this topic.

Until about two months ago, I suffered no problem at all streaming all the Bing data and photogrammetry I wanted for MSFS. Everything worked great. No problems at all with my internet connection. Then, for no apparent reason, I started getting warning messages within the sim that my bandwidth was too low to support online data. I was sometimes given a choice whether I wanted to ignore this warning. But many times I was involuntarily taken offline altogether. No Bing data. No photogrammetry. And even when I didn't receive these warnings, the quality of the ground textures and scenery was becoming increasingly poor -- blurry and randomly popping. I was constantly testing and re-testing my internet speed and invariably coming up with a very solid 130Mb down and 23Mb up. While this internet speed is less than many of you get, it's more than enough to successfully stream Bing and photogrammetry data for MSFS. So what, then, was my problem?

At first, my theory was that MS servers must be overloaded with new users, due to the popularity of the sim. While there is no doubt some truth in this theory, I discovered that the actual root of the data-streaming problem was, not my computer or settings, not my ISP's overall connection speed, and probably not MS servers -- at least not to the extent I had previously ascribed to server overload. The problem, for me at least, was that my ISP (Comcast) had been throttling data-transfer speeds on specific programs that use a lot of bandwidth, MSFS apparently among them. This explained why my frequent ISP speed testing always returned good numbers (because the testing software wasn't throttled) but I never got the same good results when streaming to MSFS over the same network. This also explained why many MSFS users suffer no bandwidth problems at all with streaming data, while others, with equal or higher bandwidth, are now finding the sim almost unflyable. Different ISPs have different policies on bandwidth for specific programs.

Several days ago, this forum contained a few posts from some very smart guys about using a VPN to improve data-streaming speeds. I didn't understand how using a VPN could possibly help me since, as I said, all my speed tests of my internet connection always returned excellent results. It was through Google searches that I discovered that my ISP selectively throttles data-transmission speeds to programs that use a lot of bandwidth. Was MSFS one of those throttled programs?

After downloading and subscribing to a VPN, I found the answer is yes: Comcast has started throttling connection speeds to MSFS (at least where I live, in Huntington, WV, in the Eastern United States). How do I know this?

Because the moment that I switched on the VPN, every single issue I suffered with streaming data instantly disappeared completely. I don't mean there was a significant improvement. I mean the disconnect and streaming problems were eliminated instantly and totally. I had never before seen such gorgeous scenery and such smooth operation in MSFS. I was thrilled. But I wanted to do a little more testing: I have five different flights that I routinely fly in MSFS. So my plan was to first fly each of these without the VPN and then to enable the VPN and fly the identical flight -- same aircraft, same settings, same everything. To summarize, each of my five flights without the VPN repeatedly flashed warning messages and either disconnected me completely or disabled photogrammetry. However, when using the VPN for these same flights, everything was perfect. No warning messages, and the streaming scenery looked better than I'd ever seen.

So the point here is that, if you're experiencing disconnect or streaming issues with MSFS -- and you know your internet speed is good and reliable -- you might give serious consideration to trying a VPN. I used Nord VPN, but I'm sure other VPNs would work in a similar way. I chose the cheapest month-to-month plan for about $14. You can cancel the month-to-month plans at will. I had always looked askance at VPNs, believing that anyone who used one must be engaged in some kind of nefarious activity that he wanted to conceal. But I'm now a firm believer in them. The only "nefarious" activity I'm wanting to conceal from my ISP is that I'm using MSFS and deserve the bandwidth that I'm already overpaying for. It would be great if MSFS itself could somehow be its own VPN to avoid this localized throttling.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Glad you got it sorted out David but man it sucks that your ISP was throttling your bandwidth. I’m curious are you on an unlimited plan?

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

See, that's interesting. I have CenturyLink fiber, 1Gbps/1Gbps (actually does about 600Mbps/980Mbps), and the MSFS server connection tanks about 20 minutes after turning on ProtonVPN, to the point that it inevitably will switch me to offline mode.

I don't get any bandwidth issues during flight, but I do not get anywhere near my download speed cap when updating/downloading from the marketplace unless I use a VPN.

I'm in Canada with Bell Aliant.

Edited by Tuskin38

I would rather talk to the ISP to know the reasons why they're throttling down the connection, and the feasible solutions. It should be annoying having to pay an additional cost for a good VPN.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

3 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Glad you got it sorted out David but man it sucks that your ISP was throttling your bandwidth. I’m curious are you on an unlimited plan?

There is a monthly cap at 1.5TB. But I never come close to using even half of that. I'm usually around 500GB. I pay $124 a month.

Edited by David Mills

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Is there a way to monitor for down-throttling while using MSFS?  How far down does it need to get to before we will get the connection messages in MSFS?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Depends on where you are I think.  Currently I'm in Utah where ISPs are not allowed to throttle I believe.

sp

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

I would rather talk to the ISP to know the reasons why they're throttling down the connection, and the feasible solutions. It should be annoying having to pay an additional cost for a good VPN.

It's about the bottom line in their accounts. They throttle their services to limit their bandwidth requirements, because extra bandwidth costs them money. They do this selectively, while  ensuring speed test sites will always show close to the full line speeds. Any other downloads are likely to be at much lower speeds. Using a VPN confuses the throttling system at the moment, but I am sure the ISPs will try to find ways of dealing with that.

Most ISP's deny throttling, especially where it's illegal, but they get away with it because it's difficult to prove. Certainly sufficiently for any legal proceedings.

• Like 1

John B

Honestly, I am pretty much shocked to read this. "I think" it didn't bite me yet.

But what do these ISPs do about movie streamers who probably (?) require an even higher bandwith than MSFS for two hours (and some perhaps for all day)?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Lorby SI has a neat tool that gives info real-time on MSFS download rates.  Might be helpful in looking at this.  

Mine seems to max out around 300 mbps.  This is below the alleged top speed of my interest connection but I’m not sure if MSFS needs more than that.

https://www.lorby-si.com

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

29 minutes ago, pmb said:

But what do these ISPs do about movie streamers who probably (?) require an even higher bandwidth than MSFS for two hours (and some perhaps for all day)?

Some of the promotional material l read about Nord mentioned overcoming throttling affecting Netflix. I very strongly suspect that my YouTube TV service is being throttled as well, because the video streaming resolution is constantly lowering itself from 1080P to 480 (which looks terrible). But you can't use a VPN on YouTube TV because they require your location to determine your local network affiliates. If you're using a VPN, YouTube TV simply won't let you sign on. I've also noticed that some financial institutions, such as Goldman Sachs, won't let you sign in with a VPN (for probably justifiable security reasons).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Mills said:

I chose the cheapest month-to-month plan for about $14.

I've been using PIA for years. About U$2 / month. No problems at all. In addition to protecting your privacy (no man-in-the-middle issues), no tracking, blocking ads and malware; it also uses open source tools.
Buy VPN with Credit Card or PayPal | Private Internet Access

Review:
Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN review | TechRadar

• Like 2

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

3 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Anyone remember the debate about getting rid of net neutrality? This is the end result of killing it.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Lorby SI has a neat tool that gives info real-time on MSFS download rates.  Might be helpful in looking at this.

https://www.lorby-si.com

Which product? I don't see anything on Lorby that appears to do that <??>.

Found it! :https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

https://www.lorby-si.com/uploads/6/0/8/2/60827113/lorbymsfsnetworkmonitor.zip

Edited by Adamski_NZ
  • Like 2

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png