Sign in to follow this  
turbomax

WU 13 is here - Oceania & Antarctica & ATR for € 12.99

Gotta say, this is yet another underwhelming update. I was really hoping for some updated satellite imagery, but if there is any, it’s very sparse. Places in Hawai’I and PNG I’ve been to don’t seem to have improved a bit.

Disappointed.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

4 hours ago, Ant1975uk said:

What a completely underwhelming update. It's basically a bunch of POIs and a couple of unfinished airports.

I just don't understand Asobo/Microsoft at all, why do half a job on these things. So for example, the first place a flew around was Hawaii, which should literally be a paradise on earth:

• No updated ground textures at all. Still low res, blurred ground textures with that horrible sickly green vegetation colour.
  • The water masks look worse than ever around Honolulu
  • The main airport - why didn't they update the airport? Isn't the airport a crafted one? Such a missed opportunity.
  • The new airport they added on one of the southern islands looks completely unfinished, has no terminal building and the worst ground textures between the runways ive ever seen, like someone had set fire to the ground.

Bora Bora looks worse than it did last time. it has huts in the water but even some of those look like they are missing as you have the impressions under the water but no models. The water masking can induce a fit with the wave impressions on them. The ground textures on the island are all low res and where the trees don't exist you get that ugly sickly vegetation colour. Oh and theres a large hole in the top of the mountain.

Fiji is not much better, again why haven't ground textures been updated? Its just utterly bizarre and a half assed job. Yes its free but cmon.

More time spent on quality rather than quantity should be the approach here, this is a long term project according to them. The sim would be in a much better state (don't get me started on the current issues that exist after SU12) if they took their time and released updates when they were good and ready instead of sticking to rigid roadmaps.

I haven't looked at the new Kona in the sim yet, but you do realize there isn't a "terminal building" there in real life right? Its an open air airport where there are no gates or terminal buildings.   Hard to take your criticism seriously after reading this. 

Nick Running

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, nrunning24 said:

I haven't looked at the new Kona in the sim yet, but you do realize there isn't a "terminal building" there in real life right? Its an open air airport where there are no gates or terminal buildings.   Hard to take your criticism seriously after reading this. 

Take it however you want but the point still stands terminal or not. They haven’t done a thing to the ground imagery.

LimaJuliet's freeware version of PHKO is more accurate than Asobo's without the terrain problems. 

Edited by solwell1
typo

Sorry, just saw it was already posted on another thread.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Fielder how did you make that map with the flags for each airport? Thanks in advance.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I've been known to be acerbic a couple of times (or more)  vis-à-vis the MSFS team but I don't get this underwhelming thing of some of you, guys.

This is a freebie. Whatever it is, a WU adds something nice (provided that nothing is broken as it happened in the past) .  Lets enjoy it for what it is. Much better than nothing and honestly it is not that bad from my early reconnaissances.

The SU are a different animal as MS put on the market an unfinished product. So here, I expect more. But the world update, its all good.

Now, I must say this WU is strange. From Java to  PNG to Hawaii with buildings of various interest . It looks like a stopgap for something else they were not ready for so they piled up stuff they had in reserve here and there 😄.

The thing missing, IMO, is the integration of the old and lovely Orbx P3D US Samoas package. Maybe a DLC coming later ? But the old guard at Orbx seems to have left altogether...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Fielder how did you make that map with the flags for each airport? Thanks in advance.

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

I've used My Maps Google so long that I created this map in no time at all. 

You can type in the ICAO but it only finds the larger airports.

You can type in the airport name and it works for about a third of the world's airports.

Otherwise just type the ICAO in the main web browser URL (instead of My Maps) and several aviation navigation sites will show you the airport coordinates. Then just paste the coordinates in My Maps. This works for any airport, even tiny ones.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Google My Maps allows anyone to save as many maps as they want.

For instance mine for France, UK, Germany, USA, Alaska, Australia, Swiss/Austria, etc. 

On each map I put in a flag for any addon airport or Asobo upgraded airport. You can use different symbols. I use a different symbol to flag where purchased, such as flightsim.to, marketplace, Orbx. Simmarket.

These maps tell me how to pick flights from and to addon upgraded airports instead of default ones.

Keeps all my addon airports organized on maps.

The maps are permanently stored online at Google Maps (for free). As long as you keep your username and password, they will be there forever.

And you can download any of these maps and save to hardisc and view them in Google Maps computer app. 

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

On each map I put in a flag for any addon airport or Asobo upgraded airport. You can use different symbols. I use a different symbol to flag where purchased, such as flightsim.to, marketplace, Orbx. Simmarket.

I do something similar, using three different colours for payware, freeware and Asobo enhanced.  I use different symbols for airport (with scheduled service is my criteria), airfield (GA only), heliport, military, glider supported airfield, and seaport.  It makes it so much easier to keep track of what I have installed and therefore easier to choose where to fly.

• Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Yeah, many of us would need time to find stuff hidden somewhere in the hangars. Maps helps to keep it organized. So does AddonLinker.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's not widely known, but Addons Linker can generate a map of all your airports, divided into addon and default and with several options of labelling etc. with just one mouse click. 

I know it's not the same (you can't mark which one you already visited etc.) but I find this very easy to use.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Another idea is a 15 button StreamDeck. The top screen buttons could all be like 13  'folders' and two nav keys to jump to the next pages.  In each folder a dozen or more items. You can have folders within folders. The nice thing is how easy the UI is. StreamDeck may not have dials, but the UI is first rate. 

2 minutes ago, pmb said:

Perhaps it's not widely known, but Addons Linker can generate a map of all your airports, divided into addon and default and with several options of labelling etc. with just one mouse click. 

I know it's not the same (you can't mark which one you already visited etc.) but I find this very easy to use.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks, I never knew that. Will investigate when time permits. Using Google maps like I do takes time, nothing is automatic. It's probably way easer with AddonsLinker.

I hope someone will make a YT video showing how this is done!

Edited by Fielder