Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Constant CTD all of a Sudden

1 hour ago, Brocky120 said:

Hmm, RealTek audio driver could still be an issue (there are a lot of threads on it). Are you able to uninstall it and play with no sound and see if the issue still occurs?

Interestingly, I've run a driver fix/updater utility which is suggesting about 5 separate Realtek updates.  Normally my Intel Driver updater prompts me for these updates, but it hasn't in this case.  This was a separate driver updater utility.    It may just be an outdated Realtek driver afterall....  

I will install them this eve and let you know.

Edited by ErichB

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

Interestingly, I've run a driver fix/updater utility which is suggesting about 5 separate Realtek updates.  Normally my Intel Driver updater prompts me for these updates, but it hasn't in this case.  This was a separate driver updater utility.    It may just be an outdated Realtek driver afterall....  

I will install them this eve and let you know.

You can try it, but it’s always been a long standing issue with the Realtek audio drivers. Personally I would uninstall it and try the sim first, then if it still crashes, you can update to the latest one

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brocky120 said:

You can try it, but it’s always been a long standing issue with the Realtek audio drivers. Personally I would uninstall it and try the sim first, then if it still crashes, you can update to the latest one

Sure, will try without it first

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ErichB said:

Sure, will try without it first

What Realtek chip is the motherboard using?

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4474/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3593/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

On 5/5/2023 at 11:39 AM, PilotPete99 said:

Hello - Not sure what's going on. but over the last few days, I can't complete a flight without a CTD at some point before arrive. I rarely over got these up until now. Just now, in PMDG 737, enroute from EGAC to EIDW, about 20 miles from EIDW. I am not sure what is going on, but hardware shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas? Here are my specs: Intel Core i7-11700F @ 2.50Ghz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 @12GB, 32GB RAM DDR4, and no overclocking. I'm using the latest GeForce Game Ready Driver 531.79. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Pete

All of the above. Did you find a solution yet?

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

17 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

All of the above. Did you find a solution yet?

I think the issue was the latest Nvidia driver. After I rolled it back, all was fine.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

4 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

I think the issue was the latest Nvidia driver. After I rolled it back, all was fine.

Cheers, Pete

Glad to hear. I had rolled back those a while ago due to CTD's. Still got those so I just updated the nvidia drivers and have better results now.

It's just silly to me.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

1 minute ago, Sonosusto said:

Glad to hear. I had rolled back those a while ago due to CTD's. Still got those so I just updated the nvidia drivers and have better results now.

It's just silly to me.

Yep, the latest ones have been good. Every few updates we get a lemon for some reason.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

No issues here with 536.99 (Latest)

• Like 1

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4474/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3593/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

23 hours ago, Brocky120 said:

download Prime95 and running a stress test on Large FFT's for 30 minutes to see if any CPU cores fail or stop, and as @Bob Scott mention keep an eye on your temps using Hwinfo.

My PC did not like this at all.   Within 4 seconds of starting the Prime95 stress test, my PC blue screened.  I had to do a system restore to get it back.  Is this a hardware issue maybe?  Everything is backed up so I have no issue with resetting the PC /reinstalling Windows.  Really tempted to just reinstall Windows and MSFS to see if that sorts out the issue.  

If that doesn't work I am rebuilding my system next month so not too big a deal.  

The things we do to watch pixels fly by on our screens...

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ErichB said:

My PC did not like this at all.   Within 4 seconds of starting the Prime95 stress test, my PC blue screened.  I had to do a system restore to get it back.  Is this a hardware issue maybe?  Everything is backed up so I have no issue with resetting the PC /reinstalling Windows.  Really tempted to just reinstall Windows and MSFS to see if that sorts out the issue.  

If that doesn't work I am rebuilding my system next month so not too big a deal.  

Frustrating for you Erich! 😕

About three years ago I installed 32GB of Corsair RAM, set it to XMP (3600) and put it through a full Memtest86.  It passed no problems.

Just recently I have had some stability issues (CTDs, Blue Screens, and sometimes programs just shutting down). No CPU overclock.

I ran Memtest86 again, and the same RAM failed.  Red screen, and plenty of errors  I repeated the test, same result.

So I ordered a couple of Kingston Fury Renegade sticks off Amazon.  Same day delivery an at a good price. 
These are exactly the same spec as the previous (XMP 3600) but slightly better refresh.  I removed my old RAM, slotted these in, they passed Memtest86 twice fully green.

Sometimes RAM just goes bad after a while.  I have had this happen twice in the last nine or ten years with different motherboards and CPU's, my brother was a PC engineer, and said while it isn't regular, he saw RAM fail more often than you would think, especially after a few years.  The XMP settings obviously run it hard, but then it is sold as XMP, so that is what we do.  I am not going to run it at 2400 that's for sure, but it is a balance - The candle that burns the brightest lasts the shortest!  

Not sure if you can run Memtest86?  It is normally in the BIOS menu.  That is the best way to test the RAM.  One complete test can last about 90 minutes on my PC and it is quite rigorous.  If it fails on just one line, one red line in Memtest86, it is no good and will let you down, it has to go! 

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Ouch thats a big problem! Ok two things:

1) Reset your BIOS to defaults, this will clear any potential CPU/RAM misconfigurations etc.
2) Ensure nothing is overheating (specifically the CPU) on HWINFO.

Failing that, check both/all RAM sticks and ensure they are exactly the same, same numbers, same version, same voltage etc on the sticker

• Like 2

Ouch thats a big problem! Ok two things:

1) Reset your BIOS to defaults, this will clear any potential CPU/RAM misconfigurations etc.
2) Ensure nothing is overheating (specifically the CPU) on HWINFO.

Failing that, check both/all RAM sticks and ensure they are exactly the same, same numbers, same version, same voltage etc on the sticker

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ErichB said:

Blowing up a few seconds into P95 is a pretty clear indication of a hardware problem.  If your system is overclocked, the silicon may have degraded over time just enough to put something on the bad side of the ragged edge of stability under load.  So re-running the overclock drill, starting at stock settings, would be in order.  That said, if you're gonna do a new build in less than a month, I'd just set things to stock and see if that works well enough to gap you to the new build.

As suggested above, a run of Memtest86+ is a good idea, as I have seen more issues with RAM than any other component over 30 years of computer building.  If it fails the test, downclocking it from XMP and/or bumping up the Vdimm voltage a hundredth of a volt or two might bring things back to stability.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

41 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

Blowing up a few seconds into P95 is a pretty clear indication of a hardware problem.  If your system is overclocked, the silicon may have degraded over time just enough to put something on the bad side of the ragged edge of stability under load.  So re-running the overclock drill, starting at stock settings, would be in order.  That said, if you're gonna do a new build in less than a month, I'd just set things to stock and see if that works well enough to gap you to the new build.

As suggested above, a run of Memtest86+ is a good idea, as I have seen more issues with RAM than any other component over 30 years of computer building.  If it fails the test, downclocking it from XMP and/or bumping up the Vdimm voltage a hundredth of a volt or two might bring things back to stability.

Well, I've reinstalled W11 and MSFS.  Ran another Prime95 test with a resulting crash within seconds, so I guess it's conclusive that it is hardware.   I will set the overclock back to default and see if it behaves.  Will let you know.

thanks