Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

FSX-SP2 Details post should be next Monday or Tuesday

>If you buy Acceleration, you will not need to install SP2 as>it is already in Acceleration. I believe setup will tell you>that.Clever marketing...You know the rabid fans now have even more incentive to rush out and buy Acceleration.The new chopper looks cool.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I'm not entirely sure that you can prove that it is NOT BS. This is business, after all.It really doesn't bother me as I intend to buy acceleration. Many will post screens and spin yarns about the glories of Acceleration and this will cause an increase in sales.Even if it is marketing, what's the big deal?>>That's called marketing. If you want the patch soon, then>>pay for it with Acceleration. Once the sales of>Acceleration>>have diminished, then they will release it for free download.>>>It's an angle to increase revenue, but I don't agree with>it.>>>>Curt>>Curt - no insult intended but that's just pure BS and you>should know better.>>Sheesh!>>>>>Q6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.6>Evga 680i A1 with P30 BIOS >2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T>320G 7200 HD partitioined for XP/Vista/Programs >2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 >500G 7200 HD for backup >SATA DVD burner >Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx >Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling >850W Thermaltake power supply>Visit the Virtual Pilot's Center>www.flightadventures.com>Radar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

In any case, preference is given to the title (Acceleration) which goes on the shelf no? It is a sound business tactic - nothing uncommon.>">The explanation was given - very clearly - that the decision>has to do with seperate testing efforts due to seperate>development branches. Testing the "Accelleration" release WITH>SP2 takes longer (you're testing A + :( and then testing SP2>stand-alone (just :( takes less time, so they'll be released>closer together. >">>yes, that is exactly what I was getting at with my>explanation. good to see it wasnt too cryptic :-).>

Jeff Bea

I do...they forked the code to give preference to the for-pay add-on. I realize this is upsetting people, but it is part of business. Free will come after for-pay. The Acceleration tree seems have been, well, accelerated. Now they'll have to check the SP2 stuff against the RTM->SP1 tree to see if it all jives. This is a secondary effort as having a Holiday Season stocking-stuffer obviously took priority.They decided on a for-pay product and obviously have to support it."Money talks and ..." you know the rest. The MSFS is franchise and not a charity; I understand why they focused on Acceleration first.>Hi,>>Do you understand the programming reasons behind this?>>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/

Jeff Bea

Guest Pilot533

Thats why microsoft is spelled micro$oft. They did it with the rtm version too. Remember all that crap about fsx being optimized to run on vista and dx10? Some people say it runs worse on vista, and it doesnt run with dx 10, we are still waiting on that. Im sure that was a marketing scheme to boost sales of the new flagship os and microsofts dx10.

:-kewl I didn't know that. Why don't I read this stuff? :-lol Regards,Jim Karn

Guest MauiHawk

>So what was all that stuff about DX10.1 instead of DX10 for>FSX?Bullhonkey.

Thanks for recognizing the need for a "heavy" chopper. The EH101 is one of my favorite helicopters. Maybe you guys could put a few more new choppers in FS11. Here are some ones I like:Eurocopter AS-350 B3Sikorsky S-76DBell 205EC-145Thanks for the work you all do. We (simmers) really do appreciate it.

This mischaracterizes what we did.Anytime you have 2 products with 2 setups, you should branch the code. They are 2 products, they need 2 trees. Anything else is just trouble. This is standard practice.And, as another poster pointed out, we are working on the more complicated product ( the union of Acceleration and SP2, a+b ) first. You dont want to leave the more complicated task for last, so doing the hardest job first is just prudent project management.Economics have their place, and so does prudence.

I wonder if the SP-2 imbedded in Acceleration makes some impact on the payware and/or freeware coming available for FSX (PMDG comes to mind, as well as many others that have not yet crossed that gap between FS9 and FSX). If so, I wonder how many of us will wait for the "free" SP-2 realease later in the year?Bruce.

Guest drdaru1

exactly, what is the big deal?they marketed a product with the 'magic screens', and you don't see anyone complaining do you?oh wait... nevermind

Guest Speed

I really dont understand the hostility toward Microsoft. They are the only company producing the flight simulator we need to feed our addiction. They have continually improved the product over the years and for a very modest amount of money we have all benefited greatly from ACES hard work.They are providing multiple free updates which is more than any other games company does. These days your lucky to get the bugs patched out of most games.I, for one, and happy for the opportunity to give Microsoft more money for their work. You see, without us paying them money, they then dont get to put much work into something we really want them to spend the time on.Take a look at the death of combat flight simulation and particularly combat helicopter simulators. The market completely died to where the only hope for new software is from a Russian company that can develop for cheaper (lomac/black shark).I hope we never see the same thing happen to FS due to people not willing to part with the appropriate amount of cash to keep the business healthy.rant>

Guest Daniel42

So if I'm correct, Acceleration is not an add-on but a branch of FSX. So a future SP3 would need to be released separately for both? And if there will be a 2nd add-on, there will be a version of the add-on for 'Vanilla' FSX and one for 'Accelerated' FSX. And then the imaginary SP3 will come in FSX, FSX Acceleration, FSX Add-on II and FSX Acceleration+Add On 2 flavor.That will be a nice testing challenge, both for ACES and Add-on developers, especially those of the FSUIPC type.Daniel van Os