Sign in to follow this  
turbomax

why is anybody still using P3D

for me, there is no decent long haul aircraft for ms2020, nor xplane for that reason.  Theres plenty of cheap rubbish ones but no decent ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

I mainly still use P3D because of the planes I miss: while I love the Fenix A320, the iniBuilds A310 and the ATR, I still miss dearly the PMDG 777 and 747 and the FSL buses. I have the Q400, but didn't give her the love she deseves. Maybe, after trying the ATR, I can give the Q400 another chance. In fact, sometimes I think about purchasing the Maddog for P3D (I have the MSFS version).

Historic weather is also a plus for me (at least the lock to sim time), as well as an AI that works with no surprises. And very important for me, I still can't find a way to switch my views in MSFS without transitions, as I do in P3D, without ChasePlane.

Scenery, well, maps for South America are not that good so, unless I know the city by heart, Orbx Global+LC+mesh (freeware for down here) will do the trick. If I know the zone by heart, well, that's the price I pay.

And for those who ask for FS9, yes, I still use it in my laptop. So what?

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 2

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

2 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Have you experienced that moment where an instructor introduced you to an IFR Hood. Have you experienced things like stalls and spins. I suspect not.

you suspect wrong.

"Have you experienced things like stalls."

plenty, and many alone deliberately without instructor during training.

btw: I have owned all 3 simulators for years.

Have you experienced Out of fuel and go arounds at the absolutely last inch of runway left? Or entering Class Bravo airspace with transponder inop? or ATC instructing you "confirm you have B737 insight, turn left 90 degrees, cleared for parallel visual approach with Southwest 737" or "do you have a pen, please write down and call this number after landing." 😊 

I suspect not.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

Ray Proudfoot just mentioned his 10 reasons, some never occurred to me but I found them quite interesting.

That's not what I meant.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I keep working installations of P3Dv5, P3Dv4, X-Plane12, X-Plane11, and MSFS installed across three different machines.

What I look for most of the time in a sim is high-quality flight dynamics and avionics, and an accurate and user-controllable weather environment.  In P3D I have a large hangar chock-full of very good aircraft to choose from...the PMDG 737/747/777, the FSL Scarebusses, RealAir Turbine Duke, Milviz Kingair 350i, Turbo Otter, Cessna 310, and T-38A, Majestic Dash-8, Leonardo Maddog MD-83/87/88,  FSW Lear 35, Aerosoft DC-8 etc.  X-Plane keeps my interest with some planes I don't have in P3D--the Hotstart Challenger 650, Flight Factor B757/767, FlyJSim B-727, Aerobask Phenom 300 and Lancair Legacy, Felis B747-200 etc.  Hats off to Working Title for their AAU update in MSFS, which has put the Citation Longitude and TBM930 on my list of simulated airplanes I'm not embarassed to own.

With ActiveSky, in P3D (and XPlane) I can set weather based on live real-time conditions or back to another point in time.  I can fly a winter leg in Scandinavia during the dog days of August if I want.  And if I want to fly a 747 at near max gross weight out of Dubai at an OAT of 41 deg C, I don't have to do it in the wee hours of the night in the US.  I can fly challenging approaches in low ceiling and visibility conditions.  I can re-create weather scenarios and fly multiple iterations of flights in them.  If there's a weather-related issue, I can reproduce it.  Weather is a huge deal to me.

In P3D (and XPlane) I have ATC from the venerable (and free) Radar Contact v4--still arguably the best procedural IFR ATC simulation in existence.

I've got 372 add-on airport sceneries (not counting hundreds more of enhanced small airports in my Orbx regions), and landclass/ground texture enhancements for P3D covering a large portion of the globe, making for a "plausible" world if not a photoreal one.  I don't do flight simulation to sit around and admire the concrete ramps at airports.

The stable installation I have can remain undisturbed in its current state for as long as I want to keep it that way, without being boogered-up by an unwanted forced update.

I've flown a broad range of planes in the real world--sailplanes, single engine props, supersonic jets, business jets, and heavy transports.  I know how they behave and handle.  P3D does not offend my sensibilities in that regard by inducing excessive, constant turbulence, or blowing me sideways off a runway during takeoff/landing with a moderate crosswind.

There's a lot for me in P3D still.  And XPlane.  And MSFS too.  None of them packs all it takes to forego the others.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

"Variety is the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavor.”

Kind Regards,

Peter

22 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

I keep working installations of P3Dv5, P3Dv4, X-Plane12, X-Plane11, and MSFS on three different machines.

is that the same Bob Scott that paid my free 2-day vacation from the x-plane forum for referring to MSFS in the x-plane forum? 😊

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Don’t you want to see the same as when flying in a real ac and looking outside

That's what most simmers want I guess; MSFS doesn't give me this experience however in most parts of the world. Take our home country, The Netherlands, for instance. I can assure you it doesn't have that horrible blue tint it has in MSFS. And it is the same in many other parts of the world. The colouring of the streamed scenery is totally of... I have had better experiences with landclass scenery in P3D.

Edited by Rimshot
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

39 minutes ago, turbomax said:

you suspect wrong.

"Have you experienced things like stalls."

plenty, and many alone deliberately without instructor during training.

btw: I have owned all 3 simulators for years.

Have you experienced Out of fuel and go arounds at the absolutely last inch of runway left? Or entering Class Bravo airspace with transponder inop? or ATC instructing you "confirm you have B737 insight, turn left 90 degrees, cleared for parallel visual approach with Southwest 737" or "do you have a pen, please write down and call this number after landing." 😊 

I suspect not.

Well then If you have done it all then I guess you really know exactly why some of us enjoy what P3d gives us. You claim not to be looking for a "my sim is bigger than your sim discussion" but me thinks that is not true and you won't be happy until everyone agrees that you are smarter and above all never wrong. With that I am leaving your air space and changing frequencies .....Sam Out...........

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

as long as users behave and reply without "mine is better than yours" attitude. try it, it's not that hard.

That`s exactly what you are implying

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

That`s exactly what you are implying.

as I said before: I own and use all 3 simulators because as Bob Scott said, no one has it all.

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

10 minutes ago, turbomax said:

as I said before: I own and use all 3 simulators because no one has it all.

Then why are implying that LM will dump P3D when it never has and never will be developed for the Avsim community, but inhouse product to support their customers of real world aircraft.

The main objective of MS is mobile instant streaming on any devise for Games, which could render the game console obsolete in the future.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

35 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

That's what most simmers want I guess; MSFS doesn't give me this experience however in most parts of the world. Take our home country, The Netherlands, for instance. I can assure you it doesn't have that horrible blue tint it has in MSFS. And it is the same in many other parts of the world. The colouring of the streamed scenery is totally of... I have had better experiences with landclass scenery in P3D.

I detest inconsistent colouration of photoscenery textures, and I have often wondered how prevalent this is in Microsoft Flight Simulator. It used to bug the heck out of me when I used the UK VFR Photographic Scenery in P3D and FSX. Thankfully, ORBx developed TrueEarth Great Britain, and the colour consistency of the landscape in that product is superb. One of many reasons why I am perfectly happy to stick with Flight Unlimited Great Britain in P3Dv4 :wink:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

for me, there is no decent long haul aircraft for ms2020, nor xplane for that reason.  Theres plenty of cheap rubbish ones but no decent ones.

For MSFS that may still be true for a while, even though I would consider the A310 a very good candidate. As for XP, there are tons: A340-600, MD-11, 747-200, 767/757…

• Like 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

3 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

XP, there are tons: A340-600, MD-11, 747-200, 767/757…

I dont want to fly freight, nor old aircraft like the 346,md11 or 742

im just interested in 330's 787s,a380s,350s and 777s. which is what keeps me on p3d.  once that 330 or 787 comes out on ms2020 ill quite happily stop using p3d.

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png