Sign in to follow this  
turbomax

why is anybody still using P3D

guys,

this is not meant as critique or negative in no way, simply interested in other users preferences/use cases:

tell me why is anybody still using P3D in year 3 after MSFS, except for multi-monitor support, some specific aircraft that might only be available for P3D or historic weather? performance wise I am seeing ca. 70 fps with most settings at Max at 4K in both sims, (MSFS even twice that with NVidia FrameGeneration enabled), especially since P3D comes with nearly no useful GA or airliner aircraft.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

My reason for having P3Dv5 still in my rotation is because it still provides me the best and most stable airliner experience among the 3 desktop flightsims. The PMDG 777 and 747 is still not yet in MSFS and also the FSLabs A320 family is still unmatched so far. There is also the Majestic Q400 that I keep coming back to. On the GA side, P3D has the entire A2A fleet which i find more immersive than most MSFS GA planes so far (This will change when the A2A comanche releases for MSFS).

Also I cannot bring myself to uninstall P3D, because of the upcoming FSLabs Concorde which I have been waiting on for a longtime.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

20 minutes ago, turbomax said:

since P3D comes with nearly no useful GA or airliner aircraft.

now that's a surprise .....

i'll seek a refund based on your esteemed guidance, thanks

seriously, you are obviously a freeware geek.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

for now, cheers

john martin

I don't want and don't need Live Weather.

Too many sceneries bought for P3D (FTX Global is the first thing that comes to mind...)

FSLabs, Majestic, PMDG, A2A, iFly 737 MAX...

Offline ATC. MSFS has FSHud (and others) but I have alternative in P3D (Pro ATC-X for big planes and Radar Contact for GA).

Because I don't have the patience to have to buy everything AGAIN.

Because I don't want to give money to people who don't deserve it (some developers).

Etc...

PS: In short, only a catastrophe will make me stop using Prepar3D.

Edited by Juliet Alpha
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Here we go again, wonder how long this thread will stay open for? 😁😁

22 minutes ago, turbomax said:

guys,

this not not meant as critique in no way, simply interested in other users preferences/use cases:

Of course it is a critique, or at least posters will have to critique each sim as they explain their reasons as to why they use a particular one above any other.

It is inherent within that process.

ie.:-

1 critique /krəˈtiːk/ noun
plural critiques
Britannica Dictionary definition of CRITIQUE
[count]

: a careful judgment in which you give your opinion about the good and bad parts of something .
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sparkrite said:

this not not meant as critique in no way,

if you really want to misinterpret me: I meant no negative bias intended. better now?

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

50 minutes ago, vadriver said:

you are obviously a freeware geek.

considering the thousands of $$ I have spent over the last decades for flightsim addons ($ 200 alone for PMDG), yes, the pure "freeware geek". 

frequency change approved.

Edited by turbomax
  • Upvote 1

very nice.

I give the highest priority to aircraft and I am still not convinced by photoscenery. I tryed one ORBX Truearth (NL) but kept all my other old "Regions".

I like better the poetry of landclass.

My choice and no critique of any "other sim" 😄

Gérard

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, turbomax said:

if you really want to misinterpret me: I meant no negative bias intended. better now?

I didn't mean any snub/rebuff or misinterpretation in my reply, however I am not a mind reader and can only go on what you wrote.

Better......?

(No I'm not that peurile)

Edited by Sparkrite

7 minutes ago, gaab said:

the highest priority to aircraft

which are missing for you from MSFS?

very nice.

I like P3D better because of the broken AI in MSFS. I love my AI and P3D is the way to go if you like your airports full of AI planes. I am very happy to stay with P3D.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

especially since P3D comes with nearly no useful GA or airliner aircraft.

Why would P3D need to come with useful GA or airline aircraft when there are loads of payware and some freeware GA and airline aircraft available?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

guys,

this is not meant as critique or negative in no way

Sorry, but the title ("why is anybody still using P3D") contradicts that premise. "Why does anyone use xyz" implies no one has a reason to use xyz.

• Like 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I think we should go to MSFS Forum and ask the same, mind you I don`t post in the MSFS forum this is click bait that pop`s regularly in this forum. I think it`s time leave Avsim Forums.

PS a post count booster his last MSFS post shows that.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Why does anyone who moves to a new platform come back and ask others why havent they followed ?

People still use fs2004

People still use FSX

People still use Xplane 11 or older

People still use aerofly

People still use CFS

People still use P3D

Who really cares?

Its only been the last three years we have seen the rise of the sim eccentric group who cant accept that people arent satisfied with MSFS and what it offers compared to what they want or have.

Having both MSFS and P3D, I'm starting see the likeness with MSFS users and vegan cyclists when reading these forums or SM groups.

*edit xplane 11- sorry missed that one as I dont track xplane

Edited by jeansy
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 7

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

1) Goofy AI that all fly at your cruise altitude.

2) Goofy AI that just spin randomly around all over place like having a hissy fit. 

3) No historical weather.

4) With photogrammetry on a lot of cities looks like a melting mess, or a nuclear bombsite! Not so bad with photogrammetry turned off though.

5) When I pause the game, whether live pause or press esc. The time in the world doesn’t stop. Weather keeps going AI keep going. So if I pause a flight in the afternoon in daylight and I come back in the evening then it’s dark, weather completely changed. It’s just stupid. 

These are the main faults with msfs for me and that is why I still prefer P3D. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/