Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

PMDG June 3 update

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

Probably off-topic for this thread but I've always been curious about this scheme... doesn't this also mean that weather, atmospheric airflow interactions, etc also have to be modelled outside the sim? For an aircraft to interact fully with MSFS's weather/airflow/etc it has to be based on the core FDE I'd think.

Yes, in the case of both ELITE and Aerowinx.

Well similar  Aerowinx bridges that exist for P3D and XP11 can inject Aerowinx weather into those simulators, but that's not the case with MFS, at least until the last time I checked it...

So, if you're flying with Real World Weather the scenarios should be compatible between MFS and PSX because both use METAR for local data and GRIB or a General Purpose World Weather model (in Aerowinx PSX, very sophisticated, designed by Hardy Heinlin) for the weather, and if the GRIB solution is used on both it's pretty much consistent, less the exact placement of clouds OFC, specially TS Cells.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

So no new news on the 777, ok i'll just keep moving along here.

I am not excited for the EFB as such (my bog-standard iPad is a million times better and more realistic) but to be able to finally compute performance properly especially for the -600, -700 and -900 variants will be a welcome addition. (For the -800 I use the payware VPT which is likely the most sophisticated tool there is.)

777, probably a thanksgiving or xmas release 

2 minutes ago, thepilot said:

I am not excited for the EFB as such (my bog-standard iPad is a million times better and more realistic) but to be able to finally compute performance properly especially for the -600, -700 and -900 variants will be a welcome addition. (For the -800 I use the payware VPT which is likely the most sophisticated tool there is.)

I am really not interested in the performance tool for the 737,  I get everything else of interest to me with my Avliasoft EFB, so the 737 EFB is something I couldn't care less about. I tried firing up the Fenix, however a couple of weeks ago, and after playing with setting up a flight for about a half hour, I realized that even though I flew the Fenix non-stop for about 6 months before I got the 737, how much I hated that word not allowed Airbus FMC compared to the Boeing unit. The Boeing FMC just leads you step by step though the flight setup ( which I can do in a few minutes, and the Fenix unit has me jumping all over the place. A real trip is trying to change an approach with the Airbus, when ATC changes your arrival runway.  They can keep their EFB and their FMC, I am sticking with PMDG, EFB or not. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

My EFB is the Ipad laying on my desk beneath the mousepad. It has everything i need. Charts, Performance Calculator, Weather info, Flight Plan etc. Most imortant: it works with every Plane i fly.

Stop whining, go flying.

I see your point, but having an EFB makes a huge difference for us VR users. It‘s one of the main reasons why I fly the Fenix much more often. I’m sure this will change when we get the EFB. I‘m not whining by the way. I can wait. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I realized that even though I flew the Fenix non-stop for about 6 months before I got the 737, how much I hated that word not allowed Airbus FMC compared to the Boeing unit. The Boeing FMC just leads you step by step though the flight setup ( which I can do in a few minutes, and the Fenix unit has me jumping all over the place. A real trip is trying to change an approach with the Airbus, when ATC changes your arrival runway.  They can keep their EFB and their FMC, I am sticking with PMDG, EFB or not. 

Criticising Fenix Sim for recreating Airbus software architecture and praising PMDG for replicating Boeing's. That's a new one!

7 hours ago, james42 said:

Anyone else having problems with the 737's autopilot making rough notchy turns since the last update? I also had to revert back to the old engines.cfg as the spool time was off.

5 hours ago, roi1862 said:

Yes ! LNAV was not great before and now its even worse. It is simply wrong logic of turns. 

And yes, engines spool up seems to have an issue as well. 

4 hours ago, Jeeeno said:

The funny thing is that, if I'm not wrong, I've read on the forum a comment of one of the developers that somebody knew the issue about the engine spool issue, but they decided to release the update

These are big reasons why I believe PMDG gets such a hard time.
Whereas once they were pioneers in aircraft fidelity, there have been many regressive issues like the ones listed above that crop up and a seemingly overreliance on their previously stellar reputation. Where are the quality controls?

Fenix sim has complaints about how long it's taking them with v2, IAE engines, etc. However, their attempt to strive for the best recreation possible, initially several updates in response to user issues, and the occasional comment on progress gives them somewhat of a pass with regard to their lengthy development timeline.

PMDG is not in my good books after I was burned by their expensive 777-200ER expansion pack in P3D. Even so, I would love to see them 'smash it out of the park' with their 777 for MSFS. I'm just not confident that they have gotten to grips with MSFS to be able to achieve that.
I want to be proven wrong though!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 minute ago, F737MAX said:

Criticising Fenix Sim for recreating Airbus software architecture and praising PMDG for replicating Boeing's. That's a new one!

I guess you have trouble with reading comprehension. I was criticizing the Airbus FMC.....

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

39 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

They can keep their EFB and their FMC

Reads as a comment towards Fenix rather than Airbus, especially when there isn't an Airbus-specific EFB for the A320ceo.

Anyway, as any *true* flight simmer knows, it's an MCDU, not FMC. 😉

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Only on the Airbus!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Akkhtually, he referred to the FMGC, rather than the MCDU, which hosts said FMGC, which corresponds to the FMC running on the CDU, alongside the DFDAU, ACARS/ATSU, etc.

(hides)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

12 hours ago, Trovis said:

When I said "old platforms", I was obviously referring to FSX, P3D, from which our 737 was ported, and the 777 will. 

On your question regarding the Fenix flightmodel: no, it wasn't ported from these dirty, obsolete platforms. It was made from scratch. So, if you are referring to Prosim, this is a great advantage, after all using a professional platform to develop an airplane is something worthy of applause.

I absolutely would like PMDG to do the same to take full advantage of the resources available. You're not trying to compare FSX with Prosim and say that both developers brought their aircraft from other platforms, are you? 

The problem is not using another platform, but using outdated platforms, probably out of laziness. That's the difference.

PMDG is superior when it comes to frame rate and performance Fenix is far behind PMDG in that regard with similar level of depth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky38i said:

I wasn’t aware PMDG released a performance calculator for their products as a stand alone app, did you? 

wait are you suggesting I spend even more money on TOPCAT on a feature the payware product should have already? 

It’s not fair to nullfy’s people’s complaints just because it’s not a problem for you. 

Try this one

Virtual Performance Tool

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

1 hour ago, Shack95 said:

I see your point, but having an EFB makes a huge difference for us VR users. It‘s one of the main reasons why I fly the Fenix much more often. I’m sure this will change when we get the EFB. I‘m not whining by the way. I can wait. 

Thats a point indeed. Didn't see that because i'm not a VR user.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

A

2 hours ago, Poppingcork said:

How much are tablets nowadays?  Less than 100 bucks?

google it.