Sign in to follow this  
Sonosusto

PMDG EFB

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

Let's put our money where our mouths are.  First are you a pilot?  

11 minutes ago, nrunning24 said:

Stearmandriver works for a major US airline flying the 737 professionally.    I don't think this is the fight you want to pick.

'nuff said 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

57 minutes ago, Dillon said:

concerning MSFS because we are not fully there with VR

A lot of us are indeed fully there, and have been for a while now.  Check your settings buddy.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

45 minutes ago, nrunning24 said:

I mean it seems like your accusing him of what you did..... You used lots of words to inflate your experience and an actual airline pilot called you out.  You basically work in aviation, have been up in the air as part of that in 2nd seats or jump seats, flown private pilot in small piston aircraft, and have friends who are professional airline pilots......

When I was an engineer at Boeing myself and some other people have flown jumpseat on flights with our customers.  I'm sure I could use some very colorful wording to make it seem like I'm super qualified on a 737,757 etc. and an expert pilot, add that to the fact I've flown C172 myself and BOOM all of a sudden I'm super qualified.

Stearmandriver works for a major US airline flying the 737 professionally.    I don't think this is the fight you want to pick.

I never questioned Stearmandriver's experience (as I have no idea what he does or flies), I in contrast asked him what he does after he in so many words came at me. He insinuated I was inflating my experience which is exactly what you just did. Seeing as he's a real world AIrline pilot, answer the question that's been asked here about airlines providing EFB's to pilots and/or what's the process.  Do this instead of looking sideways at what I've done in my life.  I too want to know how the airlines handle this and what's the ratio of airline pilots using tablets in the cockpit these days.  How is it his airline job an intimidation to me and my life experience?  This is beyond school yard petty... The bottom line is none of us should come in here and blindly go at people we don't actually know.  I'm done with this whole back and forth as this thread is headed in the locked direction.  

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, joby33y said:

A lot of us are indeed fully there, and have been for a while now.  Check your settings buddy.  

I'm always open for suggestions.  I use a Reverb G2 and my display in the headset is not as clear as my monitor (grainy is a better way to describe it).  Last resort I could think of is to purchase a better video card but if you have something else I should try I'm open to that.  Performance is great it's just the display.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

FS2020 

14 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I'm always open for suggestions.  I use a Reverb G2 and my display in the headset is not as clear as my monitor (grainy is a better way to describe it).  Last resort I could think of is to purchase a better video card but if you have something else I should try I'm open to that.  Performance is great it's just the display.  Thanks in advance.

You can try increasing rendering resolution with OpenXR Toolkit beyond the default resolution of the headset. Makes a big difference but of course also degrades performance depending on how much you increase resolution and your hardware.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 minutes ago, Nixoq said:

You can try increasing rendering resolution with OpenXR Toolkit beyond the default resolution of the headset. Makes a big difference but of course also degrades performance depending on how much you increase resolution and your hardware.

Tried that and performance suffered.  I'm hearing mixed recommendations as to the improvements a new video card would bring.

FS2020 

25 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I never questioned Stearmandriver's experience (as I have no idea what he does or flies), I in contrast asked him what he does after he in so many words came at me. He insinuated I was inflating my experience which is exactly what you just did. The bottom line is none of us should come in here and blindly go at people we don't actually know.  I'm done with this whole back and forth as this thread is headed in the locked direction.  

Lol no you totally inflated your experience with lots of words that made it sound impressive when the reality was you worked on airplanes and sometimes got to fly in the 2nd or jump seat and have flown C172s.... And your commercial experience (which this whole thread is biased on via tablets and EFB's) is biased on flying Level D's during your work breaks or off hours at a previous employer???? LOL just stop it. 

• Like 3

Nick Running

23 minutes ago, Dillon said:

He insinuated I was inflating my experience

My take: Can that be because you actually never conveyed your formal experience?

Are you are current or former PPL/CPL holder? It's rather odd you haven't mentioned your qualifications as a PIC in the lengthy messages of yours (which I enjoyed reading, actually). It's a very quick and effective response when asked "what's your flying experience"

Just an observation. I have no dogs in this race.

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

9 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

My take: Can that be because you actually never conveyed your formal experience?

Are you are current or former PPL/CPL holder? It's rather odd you haven't mentioned your qualifications as a PIC in the lengthy messages of yours (which I enjoyed reading, actually). It's a very quick and effective response when asked "what's your flying experience"

Because his actual PIC flying experience is in a C172 and that's it.  Maybe he has a PPL, but that's it.  And how that makes him an expert on what professional pilots use in the cockpit regarding EFB's I have no idea. 

• Like 3

Nick Running

45 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I never questioned Stearmandriver's experience (as I have no idea what he does or flies), I in contrast asked him what he does after he in so many words came at me. He insinuated I was inflating my experience which is exactly what you just did. Seeing as he's a real world AIrline pilot, answer the question that's been asked here about airlines providing EFB's to pilots and/or what's the process.  Do this instead of looking sideways at what I've done in my life.  I too want to know how the airlines handle this and what's the ratio of airline pilots using tablets in the cockpit these days.  How is it his airline job an intimidation to me and my life experience?  This is beyond school yard petty... The bottom line is none of us should come in here and blindly go at people we don't actually know.  I'm done with this whole back and forth as this thread is headed in the locked direction.  

You literally did question his experience....AND YOU EDITITED IT OUT OF YOUR MESSAGE..... HAHHAAHAHAHAHAH  wish I had a screen shot.

"Word has it your a real world 737 pilot."  Edited 12 minutes ago by Dillon 

You want to pretend to be a pilot I get it, Very concrete statements about how XYZ needs to be implemented or its not realistic, yet totally goes over your head when a real pilot challenges you.  I'm glad you have exposed yourself like this since now when you make comments in the future we can all take it with a grain of salt.

Nick Running

If you all want this topic locking you’re going in the right direction.

Get back on topic NOW. Any further chat about anyone’s abilities will result in a lock. First and last warning.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

Fair enough:

None Licensed logbook time:

Glider flying from 1986 to 1987 (don't have the log time for all those flights, just did if for fun not knowing if I was going to peruse flying)

I joined Civil Air Patrol in high school. My time during this period was flying Piper's and 172's (CAP had the 172's).  Hours logged total were over 40 although I wasn't serious as I should and lost the log book.  Wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life at that point.

Got married, joined the military (Navy) in 1991 and went out to San Diego. Got back into flying and logged bunch of hours out of Montgomery flying Piper Arrows, 182's, and 172's.  Logged a bunch of time but didn't lock down getting my license (already went over other things I did during this period).  Life kept getting in the way of locking the license down again

1996 Moved to MN and started flying out of Shamrock at Crystal Airport.  Now I got more serious.  My old time didn't really apply as you need constant time to push for your private, lapses don't work.  Completed ground school but after after bombing on my oral a couple times took a step back do to work demands

1999 tried it again when life allowed but had to start all over again. Flew up to 40 hours in our 172 but got to the check-ride and failed.  Life kicked in again and had to stop

Licensed Pilot:

2002 I joined North Star Flyers at Blain Airport KANE and finally got my VFR PPL license. Logged up to 60 hours in our 172, 20 hours in our Piper Warrier, and 20 hours in our Beech Sundowner.  Was working on IFR and learning out taildragger Citabria when life happened again.  Nothing tragic just family demands, kids, etc.

Didn't get back into flying until 2010 and did some cross country with friends to Oshkosh, camping out under the plane.  During this period I would say I logged another 40 to 50 hours (don't have my log book at hand).  In 2015 we decided to move to Florida.  Joined a flying club at KISM only to find my son wanting to get into flying.  Spent money and time getting him in the game of aviation and throttling back to myself. Our club only has one 172 at KISM and one 172 at KORL which is a big change from the larger club we had up north.  

Through all the lapses in my flying which I don't like to talk about Flight Simulator has always been that back fill in my life.  Today do to gas prices it's the same once again as I don't go up much.  I would like to complete my IFR, duel engine, commercial, and maybe become a CFI.  If costs don't come down I may go back to glider or sport plane flying. As I said before FS and VR are great substitutes in down times when you can't do it in the real world. 

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2

FS2020 

I'm not in a huge rush to get the EFB, personally. Really I would only want it for performance calculations. With simbrief downloader, that's good enough for me and I have a second monitor and tablet should I need to reference charts quickly. I can understand why the VR folks need it more though.

Side note: Maybe I should create a new topic on PMDG and them updating their LNAV to allow for more proper simulation of RNAV RNP approaches with RF legs. 😉 I consider that more important and, to me, that doesn't get commented on enough in relation to the EFB.

Regardless, the PMDG 737 is still my go to anytime I fly in MSFS and I very much enjoy it!

Edited by Kevin_28
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, nrunning24 said:

You literally did question his experience....AND YOU EDITITED IT OUT OF YOUR MESSAGE..... HAHHAAHAHAHAHAH  wish I had a screen shot.

"Word has it your a real world 737 pilot."  Edited 12 minutes ago by Dillon 

You want to pretend to be a pilot I get it, Very concrete statements about how XYZ needs to be implemented or its not realistic, yet totally goes over your head when a real pilot challenges you.  I'm glad you have exposed yourself like this since now when you make comments in the future we can all take it with a grain of salt.

I edited my message after I found out the guy was a real world pilot via another user.  My question was answered at that point so now the conversation is more level footing. If you look someone quoted what I originally said. After a suggestion I wrote below my flying actual experience.  This goes along with what I originally wrote.  It's really no one's business and I may deleted what I wrote below after reading some of these later comments.  People can believe what they want, who cares.🍺

FS2020 

I personally would love to see EFB in PMDG. Id rather handle all sim options in maintenance in EFB. I also would like to see WX radar even with limitations of realism !

Finally not very important but kind of cool to have. Windshield wipers that actually wipe rain drops LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI