Sign in to follow this  
Purr

What do you think is the future of MSFS and AI?

With the explosion of AI in software, I'm wondering if there are ways in which MSFS might be able to take advantage of it in the months and years of development ahead. How could AI help?

Thoughts...?? 

• Like 2

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Ooooooh, could go on all day about this. Lots of ways and I was hoping MS’s very active participation in AI would see some feed-through into MSFS, but so far..:bupkis.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

A good percentage of what the media associate with AI has nothing to do with AI but that's another story...

For me AI techniques could be explored in flight simulation for instance in the creation of more realístic "ATC robots", other crew members for MCC training, interaction with AI Traffic, etc...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Hands down (all summed up) Best sim ever!!!

I’m still trying to get through how it benefits me at all, to be honest.  I do use it in business for certain mundane writing tasks. I can easily imagine how it would benefit me in household tasks, but haven’t gone there yet if it extends to hobby.  This is a thought provoking question for certain.

• Like 3

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

1 hour ago, Purr said:

With the explosion of AI in software, I'm wondering if there are ways in which MSFS might be able to take advantage of it in the months and years of development ahead. How could AI help?

Thoughts...?? 

At first I thought you meant "AI" as in AI aircraft...but yes, I know you mean artificial intel.  

There was a thread here not too long ago about using AI for ATC.  I'm sure eventually some enterprising dev will come up with something along those lines.

As for other aspects of flight simulation...hmm...where would AI help.  Maybe with, well, AI aircraft.  They could more intelligently navigate, with holds and better go-arounds per the charts, etc. etc.  I think that's related to ATC in a way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I was also thinking about another aspect of it, such as Nvidia DLSS going through iterative jumps that helps with performance improvements, maybe will allow for greater graphical complexity and depiction / efficiency.

And, although I don't know much about it, I was thinking about the complexities of weather modelling and the idea that AI on the server end could provide a greater ability to model and render more complex weather types or interpolate data gaps between stations. 

Not sure if these types of thing are still a long way off, there is a lot of hype in the news at the moment but this is more about a time frame of the next few years...

• Like 1

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Would love to see AI technology being used for a more realistic ATC. That would be great.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I think AI or Artificial Intelligence is a misnomer... it's really more accurate to call it applied statistics which is defined as:

Through statistical methods, analysis, and an emphasis on real-world data, applied statistics seeks concrete solutions to tangible problems.

I think it makes the most sense for this to be applied to flight plans, sim controlled traffic, ATC instructions, and perhaps weather modelling to some extent where absolute weather data is not available and interpolation or extrapolation is required, I guess it could also be applied to terrain modelling in the absence of accurate data.

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

Don't forget that MSFS already uses AI heavily creating non photogrammetry buildings.

Blackshark AI looked at every building in the world and created an AI model, which in some cases is kind of 'basic'. It would be great if they could improved that and basically have buildings/roads/parks etc look more realistic. 

• Like 3

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Here is how AI (via chat gbt) feels that ai could enhance MSFS

1. Enhanced realism and immersion: AI algorithms can be used to improve various aspects of realism in the game. For example, AI could be employed to dynamically generate more realistic and diverse weather patterns, including accurate cloud formations, wind patterns, and atmospheric effects. AI could also simulate more realistic air traffic patterns and behaviors, making the virtual skies feel more alive.

2. Intelligent virtual copilots: AI-powered virtual copilots can be developed to assist players during flights. These copilots could provide useful information, such as weather updates, navigation suggestions, and system status updates. They could also assist with automated checklists, aircraft performance optimization, and even offer suggestions for emergency procedures. This would enhance the solo flying experience and make the game more accessible to novice players.

3. Advanced AI-controlled aircraft: AI could be used to simulate highly realistic behavior for non-playable aircraft within the simulation. These AI-controlled planes could follow realistic flight paths, communicate with air traffic control, and respond realistically to environmental conditions. This would add more realism to the virtual world and create a more immersive experience for players.

4. Smarter ATC and air traffic management: AI algorithms can enhance the capabilities of the Air Traffic Control (ATC) system in MSFS. AI-powered ATC can intelligently manage air traffic, provide more accurate and realistic instructions, and dynamically adjust traffic flow based on changing conditions. This would result in a more authentic experience and improved immersion.

5. Intelligent procedural generation: MSFS utilizes procedural generation techniques to create the vast and detailed world. AI could improve this process by generating more realistic and diverse landscapes, including terrain, vegetation, and buildings. Additionally, AI could assist in generating more detailed and accurate airport layouts, including runways, taxiways, and parking areas.

6. Adaptive learning and player behavior analysis: AI could analyze player behavior and adapt the simulation to the player's skill level and preferences. By monitoring the player's actions, AI algorithms could provide tailored feedback, offer personalized tutorials, and suggest training scenarios to help players improve their skills.

7. Real-time flight planning and navigation: AI could assist players in real-time flight planning and navigation. By analyzing weather data, traffic conditions, and other factors, AI algorithms could provide optimal flight routes, fuel management suggestions, and alternate airport recommendations. This would assist players in making informed decisions during their flights.

• Like 8

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

2 hours ago, FrankR409 said:

Here is how AI (via chat gbt) feels that ai could enhance MSFS

Very meta.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

AI....the latest hype to keep GPU prices elevated....

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I agree that AI-backed ATC has the potential to be a significant improvement over the existing mess. 

I can also see it powering a fully-functional co-pilot as others have mentioned.  And a flight engineer for the older stuff.

It probably won't be long before AI is sophisticated enough to make a mission generator fairly trivial, including in-flight changes and maybe passenger noises (talking, maybe screaming when you do something dumb, fighting if you're flying a Spirit livery, etc.). 

It might even be useful to fine-tune flight models, weather effects, etc.  Get that to a certain level of sophistication and it could, for example, monitor TV and radio in the area you're flying. When the station breaks in for severe weather coverage, it starts generating weather based on what the meteorologist is saying combined with radar returns. Oh, there's a tornado crossing 2nd street? It's in the sim, too.

Before AI gets into sims too much, we will all probably have been killed by some genius that decided an AI based "mother drone" for a drone army was a good idea. War of the Drones, here we come, keep those pellet guns readied.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram