Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Dune Expansion Announce Trailer

29 minutes ago, darshonaut said:

A Science Fiction Book Series by Frank Herbert. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(franchise)

Thanks. I read about the movie, it was unavoidable if you are interested in movies (I am.) I was swallowing Science Fiction as a teen but lost interest later and never regained it.

It's just, not everyone is interested in this stuff. I prefer bush flying in Africa, if that matters.😊

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

59 minutes ago, pmb said:

It's just, not everyone is interested in this stuff. I prefer bush flying in Africa, if that matters.😊

Kind regards, Michael

Hey, we could suggest a DLC about the African Queen ! But I want Katharine Hepburn as a copilot !

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

27 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Hey, we could suggest a DLC about the African Queen ! But I want Katharine Hepburn as a copilot !

I'd have an Out of Africa Addon with Robert Redford flying.😉

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I'm looking forward to the new movie. I was excited when the 1st Dune movie was released, but I left the theater disappointed.

I'm not sure exactly why it did not meet my expectations. The books were so good that I felt like I knew what the world of Dune and it's characters were really like. I didn't feel that the 1st movie did either the justice that they truly deserved.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

This along with MS24 trailer and all the missions and such, in my opinion, is just turning this whole thing into an Xbox driven casual gamer franchise. They are slowly distancing themselves from the hardcore flight sim crowd. I get that’s what the bean counters want but in taking the long view from where I sit, I don’t care for any of it. Again, MY OPINION for those that will inevitably chime in with “no it’s not” comments.

Eric 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

This along with MS24 trailer and all the missions and such, in my opinion, is just turning this whole thing into an Xbox driven casual gamer franchise. They are slowly distancing themselves from the hardcore flight sim crowd. I get that’s what the bean counters want but in taking the long view from where I sit, I don’t care for any of it. Again, MY OPINION for those that will inevitably chime in with “no it’s not” comments.

Fair enough and some could think that ... the thing I really want to ask folks who think this is, haven't we got enough evidence already from the 2020 release till now that MS/Asobo are capable of delivering and focusing on "hardcore" sim aspects while *also* delivering on the more "casual gamer" stuff? (i.e. AAUs/SUs/etc), especially when most of these casual gamer stuff has been outsourced to 3rd parties. And who is to say that this cannot continue into the 2024 release given their team size and budget? Why do some folks insist that it has to be an either/or?

Edited by lwt1971
  • Upvote 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

Fair enough and some could think that ... the thing I really want to ask folks who think this is, haven't we got enough evidence already from the 2020 release till now that MS/Asobo are capable of delivering and focusing on "hardcore" sim aspects while *also* delivering on the more "casual gamer" stuff? (i.e. AAUs/SUs/etc), especially when most of these casual gamer stuff has been outsourced to 3rd parties. And who is to say that this cannot continue into the 2024 release given their team size and budget? Why do some folks insist that it has to be an either/or?

If WT didn't come along, I don't think Asobo alone would have been able to give us AAU1 or 2. Reminder, it was a 3rd party that is doing AAU, not Asobo. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

Just now, B777ER said:

If WT didn't come along, I don't think Asobo alone would have been able to give us AAU1 or 2. Reminder, it was a 3rd party that is doing AAU, not Asobo. 

So who cares if it's Asobo or WT given that they are all one MSFS dev team now? I'm not saying it's you particularly but I've noticed this strange animosity towards Asobo by some around here who always want to denigrate them in some way... Outside of WT, Asobo have done a lot for the core sim that's advanced sim realism ever since release in 2020, including advanced atmospheric airflow simulation based on CFD, flight model CFD that devs like iniBuilds are happily using now in their birds, core support and physics for helis, gliders, etc. I think Seb is a great core sim developer and really knows his stuff... I'm sure IL-2's Sturmovik is also being put to good use in the core dev team.  And I'm also sure @MattNischan would probably agree with all this 🙂

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

54 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Yes, but it was Asobo's decision to bring them on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Well yes AU's and SU's are good (excellent i should say) as are atmospherics, but the things hardcore simmers want also include realism in weather, ATC and AI, to name a few, all of which seem to have been "shipped but not yet out for delivery".   

There is a danger that so much work is going into the entertainment side that the core flight sim side may have been  stepped on somewhat and pushed further down the priority list. But I agree, Asobo have done some wonderful things and they have a huge capability. So long as we can believe they do actually have every intention of completing these core sim features then I guess we can happily wait. There seems to be plenty to entertain ourselves with in the meantime 🙂

Cheers

Terry. 

• Like 2

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

6 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yes, but it was Asobo's decision to bring them on.

Exactly this.

Also, MSFS can be so much to so many people. I am not quite sure why there is always a desire to shoot something down so readily just because it could be perceived as not hardcore and by extension a waste of resources. I fly low and slow GA and love it to be hardcore and a sim like experience. My kids enjoy the casual stuff far more and I have spent money in the MSFS eco system just so they can get involved more.

Every one us uses MSFS for a different reason. Personally mine is low, slow realistic GA. Others it Airliners. Some use VR. Some will fly online with friends. Some stream. Others make airports and aircrafts. Some will use xbox. Some will have £1000s worth of cockpit gear. It's because MSFS can appeal to so many people it can exist and will continue to exist in the foreseeable future. While we will all want our own individual niche to be the best it can be it cannot and does not exist in a vacuum of our own personal wants and desires, otherwise the sim would not exist at all. I would rather have the sim we have now, which brings so much to so many people, than to go back to 2019 without it. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, pmb said:

Thanks. I read about the movie, it was unavoidable if you are interested in movies (I am.) I was swallowing Science Fiction as a teen but lost interest later and never regained it.

Kind regards, Michael

Dune = Wadi Rum in Jordan, that’s “bush” and pretty close to Africa so all good.

Everyone seems to use the Wadi Rum desert for Mars, Dune, anything with a desert these days.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

12 hours ago, B777ER said:

Yeah, totally! Don’t you see how the Halo partnership with that gamey kiddie stuff Pelican prevented everyone else from flying complex, study level tube liners? 🙄

spacer.png5800X3D, 64GB 3200 RAM, 7900 XT 20GB