Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

Core sim improvements in MSFS 2024 & Phil Spencer interview

35 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I am not familiar with the Minecraft ecosystem.   

You know of it though. So its basically a Microsoft game (i think anyway, lol, in case wrong), that has massive player numbers. So at some point sales may reduce (ive no idea), Its just relative in this example, is a point im trying to say. But i just find it interesting how far a 'franchise platform'/game/simulator like MSFS can at least move someway into that sort of area.

Edited by icewater5

Jorg promised that the platform would be supported for 10 years and the production of 2024 is part of that promise being kept. They are clearly not abandoning the franchise and that was what the 10 year promise was addressing. What would you prefer? All work on the franchise coming to a halt with servers being unplugged or the option of paying for a new iteration?

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

30 minutes ago, icewater5 said:

You know of it though. So its basically a Microsoft game (i think anyway, lol, in case wrong), that has massive player numbers. So at some point sales may reduce (ive no idea), Its just relative in this example, is a point im trying to say. But i just find it interesting how far a 'franchise platform'/game/simulator like MSFS can at least move someway into that sort of area.

This is not a game I play.  The only thing I know is that it brought  9 billions dollars in revenue to Blizzard last time they counted the dough and thats for a year, and MS put 70 B to acquire its owner. MSFS is a gnat for MS, unimportant, compared to Minecraft or games from Bethesda.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Jorg promised that the platform would be supported for 10 years and the production of 2024 is part of that promise being kept. They are clearly not abandoning the franchise and that was what the 10 year promise was addressing. What would you prefer? All work on the franchise coming to a halt with servers being unplugged or the option of paying for a new iteration?

Did he specifically say "promise" though? I don't recall he did, that words carries very strong in the English language.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

This is not a game a play.  The only thing I know is that is brought  9 billions dollars in revenue to Blizzard last time they counted the dough and thats for a year, and MS put 70 B to acquire its owner. MSFS is a gnat for MS, unimportant, compared to Minecraft or games from Bethesda.

Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea.

23 hours ago, mrueedi said:

Here is a comparison between new and old. It shows significant changes how the landscape is rendered. Improved are e.g. the too large trees in MSFS2020, which create this too grainy appearance. Images of the real place are here click:spacer.png

spacer.png

wow, thanks for that google link! ^^

Victor Roos

5 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

I was under no delusions that we'll keep getting free stuff forever, and nor did MS/Asobo ever promise that. The amount of free content and improvements we've gotten in the last 3+ years is unprecedented (just the inclusion of a high fidelity tubeliner like the iniBuilds A310 for free is something else, as are all the very high fidelity WT avionics like the G1000 Nxi and G5000 which are themselves payware worthy easily). So ya, if it means I need to keep ponying up $60-$120 every 4 years to continuously get improvements/fixes/content/etc every month in the form of SUs, AAUs, WUs, CUs, etc and also stay up to date with tech that actually aligns to the current times rather 10-20 years ago in a sim, yup sign me up please.

What's funny is that if you bought MSFS every time a new version comes out (suppose every 4 years) and therefore saw it as a subscription (it's not!) with a 4 year plan, it ends up being significantly cheaper even at the highest tier of $120 than virtually all other subscriptions many people have (save for things like gas, electricity and water). Yet, paying monthly for something that adds up to $60 to $80 or so in one (1) year alone seems more accepted than paying for MSFS every 4 years ($30 per year at the highest tier).

Netflix standard plan at $7 per month = $336 in 4 years.
MSFS = $120 max in 4 years.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Shack95 posted some more comparisons over in the announcement thread

Edited by Tuskin38

On 6/14/2023 at 6:56 AM, Dominique_K said:

I love the idea if the foliage can tell the direction/strength of the wind not just shake randomly.

Took off this morning from KPSP.  No wind.  Guess what?  All those wind turbines WERE NOT spinning.  I had to restart the flight later an hour or so, the wind kicked up, and voila the turbines were spinning.  I love it!!!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Turbine rotation speed and direction in MSFS is dependant on the wind. try using custom weather and setting wind to max haha.

Edited by Tuskin38

6 hours ago, MarcG said:

Did he specifically say "promise" though? I don't recall he did, that words carries very strong in the English language.

Even if he did, is someone somehow going to hold MS to a "promise"? 

When I look at the biggest areas that most agree all need "attention", can't possibly see that taking more than another year or so tops if their vast resources can be allocated to do that, which means there are still 6+ years to operate.  No wonder part of the plan is to release larger updates, new versions etc.  Even if all the issues are solved it will still get stale w/o updates.  Kudo's to MS/A for aiming for a new version in 2024.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Even if he did, is someone somehow going to hold MS to a "promise"? 

When I look at the biggest areas that most agree all need "attention", can't possibly see that taking more than another year or so tops if their vast resources can be allocated to do that, which means there are still 6+ years to operate.  No wonder part of the plan is to release larger updates, new versions etc.  Even if all the issues are solved it will still get stale w/o updates.  Kudo's to MS/A for aiming for a new version in 2024.

Yes they probably would, like I said it's a very strong word and if you don't fulfil a "promise" you have laid out then people will use that against you. (I don't actually recall him saying that precise word though)

Edit: I've been around the gaming scene for decades, I've seen Devs promise and then fail on that promise and then witnessed the backlash.

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

On 6/14/2023 at 2:31 PM, mrueedi said:

Here is a comparison between new and old. It shows significant changes how the landscape is rendered. Improved are e.g. the too large trees in MSFS2020, which create this too grainy appearance. Images of the real place are here click:spacer.png

spacer.png

Still looks like using the same clouds sadly. One of the things I feel really lets the sim down graphically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abennett said:

Still looks like using the same clouds sadly. One of the things I feel really lets the sim down graphically.

I think it's out of their control in large part--to get something like the image below you need much greater resolution/voxel density, and that is restrained by the current hardware.  I think we'll see some improvement but this agenda competes w/ those obsessed w/ high frame rates--no will be able to have both, yet.  

spacer.png

Noel