Sign in to follow this  
fsxmissionguy

Are long startup times normal

Mine takes 3 minutes to the main menu with many sceneries and planes in the community folder (I7 4790K with sim on SSD), but before installing Stripr it was around 5 minutes with the SSD and 7 minutes when it was on HDD.

At the OP, something seems wrong there, that is too long.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

7 hours ago, fsxmissionguy said:

I have a pretty good computer (3Gz i7) with MSFS installed on the main SSD drive. It takes approximately 11 minutes from the time I hit open until I get to the main lobby of the game. Is this normal? (I watch the startup with Task Manager and MSFS is the only thing doing anything. Just constant reading from the disk drive and allocating memory.

Do you have large AI packages installed like AIG, FSLTL or GAIST? If so, then I would say it is normal.

With these packages my loading time is about 11 minutes. Without AIG and GAIST it is 3-4 minutes. Addon scenery or addon aircraft have no significant effect on loading times - at least on my system.

Ha. Mine takes several minutes. Sometimes up to 10 minutes. I have almost a terabyte of addons, planes and scenery though.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

31 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Do you have large AI packages installed like AIG, FSLTL or GAIST? If so, then I would say it is normal.

With these packages my loading time is about 11 minutes. Without AIG and GAIST it is 3-4 minutes. Addon scenery or addon aircraft have no significant effect on loading times - at least on my system.

I have GAIST and FSLTL and it's around 3 minutes. When I had AIG it was double that time. I have the GAIST routes in various folders by region and only activate the region where I'm going to fly with Addons Linker. Same for the sceneries, only activate them for the region I'm going to fly. Have different Addons Linker presets for each region. Both these things save me some minutes.

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I use FSLTL, and some add ons, and probably it is around 4 minutes. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes 44 seconds. 

Lots of addons.

FSUIPC and AxisAndOhs boot up with MSFS, which is part of the above time.

My Ryxen5 5600X is not exactly a hotshot cpu either.

---

Windows 11 boots the system much faster than Windows 10 did on my same computer.

---

ScanNow and DISM commands, which come with any version of windows, cleared junk, and sped up some program load times up on my computer. I run these every month or so.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/633414-fix-windows-errors-without-reinstalling-windows/

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Landing rates are a thing from the past, now we measure MSFS loading times 🙂 i had a good loading time first time i installed the game, started to add addons and never more, even if i remove all of them using the addon linker...i always have the freeze in the 50% more or less no matter what...averaging a 3/4 minutes of total loading with the specs below.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

11 hours ago, edpatino said:

This is strongly dependent on the number of addons currently installed in your community folder. Try reducing the number easily with the aid of the MSFS Addons Linker, to see if loading time is improved

Doing this, using AL (addons linker) to load only what i need for my upcoming flight, sees my MSFS load in right at two minutes.  More time flying, less time watching the sands in the hourglass.  I enjoy a 200 mbps internet connection for what that might convey.  That is likely not among the fastest among others here.  I can subscribe to 500 mbps or 1000 mbps but do not need to.  200 mbps services all of our streaming needs. Browsing, our streaming TV, etc. So if I load MSFS in two minutes with other demands on 200 mbps, what could be a better statement for AL and flight to flight management?  And I do load an AL folder that holds scenery object libraries for every flight.  Like EDHK lights and We Love VFR objects, etc.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thought users  would  be  more  concerned  about  ctd's and  stutters  than  loading  of  a  sim.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

Thought users  would  be  more  concerned  about  ctd's and  stutters  than  loading  of  a  sim.

If my loading time was 11 mins, I would be concerned too 😉

• Upvote 1

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

If my loading time was 11 mins, I would be concerned too 😉

In  11 minutes  you could  walk  around  the  block  and  get  some  exercise  in before  you sit  down  for  the next  4  hours   🙂

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

If I had CTD's or stutters perhaps I would.

Alvega

Actually I am not concerned about loading times at all. I just wanted to give the OP an idea of what times can be considered normal.

Personally I don't care if the loading time is 3, 10 or 15 minutes. I'm not sitting in front of my PC starring at the loading screen (apparently many people do, otherwise there would have been no need for that Stripr app...). I plan my upcoming flight or do something else and come back to the sim when it is loaded.

I use addon linker only to keep addons organized, I have all addons activated all the time. Creating, maintaining and selecting several presets to save a few minutes loading times is not worth the effort to me.

• Like 1

pretty exactly 4mins here from launch to lobby; enough for my exercises 😉

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

18 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Actually I am not concerned about loading times at all. I just wanted to give the OP an idea of what times can be considered normal.

Personally I don't care if the loading time is 3, 10 or 15 minutes. I'm not sitting in front of my PC starring at the loading screen (apparently many people do, otherwise there would have been no need for that Stripr app...). I plan my upcoming flight or do something else and come back to the sim when it is loaded.

I use addon linker only to keep addons organized, I have all addons activated all the time. Creating, maintaining and selecting several presets to save a few minutes loading times is not worth the effort to me.

Many people, (including developers and modders) need to open and close the sim lots of times one after the other. Imagine waiting 15 minutes to load, then close the sim to make a change in the aircraft.cfg or any other change and wait another 15 minutes to test, then the change didn't work, another 15 minutes. Or you are going to fly but then remember you didn't enable the sceneries for the area you are going to fly, bam, 15 minutes more. Not nice.

• Like 1

Alvega