Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

A2A Comanche has been released!

I'm my limited experience the AP seemed to handle 10 degree or so changes without assistance but certainly for something around 90 degrees it needed guiding with heading mode.

Edited by Matchstick

18 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

I'm my limited experience the AP seemed to handle 10 degree or so changes without assistance but certainly for something around 90 degrees it needed guiding with heading mode.

That is what I am seeing a few degrees OK, otherwise  NG. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

That is what I am seeing a few degrees OK, otherwise  NG. 

That's  what I saw yesterday too, using TRK HI mode.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Someone back a few pages asked about spark plug fouling, so just some context first.  I purchased a 1959 Comanche 6229P back in 2012.  It came with standard “massive” type spark plugs which are prone to fouling.  If this engine was ever left at low idle for any length of time, plugs would foul.... quickly.  It became almost part of my checklist to run the engine at high power for some time or so to clear them out prior to takeoff.  Especially when operating out of large airports with a lot of taxiing (they don’t let you taxi fast).

I was told by many “lean on the ground” and I did, aggressively.  Leaning mixture does help, but only relative to the amount of fuel being used.  IOW, they just foul at a slower rate which was still pretty bad.  I later learned that heat is what scavenges the lead from plugs so to avoid fouling, you need to raise your idle.  On my Comanche, idling at 1000RPM fixed the issue.

Then a few years later we got a sponsorship from Champion that included all new “fine wire” style plugs, and since that change, plug fouling is a thing of the past.  With fine wires, I just idle at any RPM without issue.  We clean the plugs at annual once a year and that's it. 

So we support both plugs and their behavior.  Using massives promotes good habits.  Fine wires eliminate the problem but as a result, you can get lazy idling at 600RPM all day (that's an option you have flying for real so it's here too). 

Bottom line is this:

• Massive plus:  Keep your idle at 1,000RPM or higher.  If they foul, run the engine at full power until they clear.  It can sometimes take a LONG time.
  • Fine wires:  No fouling worries.

Scott

• Like 26
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Rimshot said:

FSRealistic is completely unnecessary for this aircraft. Accusim does everything better.

I would agree except for the occasional sneezing from the pilot, which always seems to come at the most inopportune time like on short final, etc... Gives me a jolt and then a big grin.

• Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

49 minutes ago, Scott - A2A said:

Someone back a few pages asked about spark plug fouling, so just some context first.  I purchased a 1959 Comanche 6229P back in 2012.  It came with standard “massive” type spark plugs which are prone to fouling.  If this engine was ever left at low idle for any length of time, plugs would foul.... quickly.  It became almost part of my checklist to run the engine at high power for some time or so to clear them out prior to takeoff.  Especially when operating out of large airports with a lot of taxiing (they don’t let you taxi fast).

I was told by many “lean on the ground” and I did, aggressively.  Leaning mixture does help, but only relative to the amount of fuel being used.  IOW, they just foul at a slower rate which was still pretty bad.  I later learned that heat is what scavenges the lead from plugs so to avoid fouling, you need to raise your idle.  On my Comanche, idling at 1000RPM fixed the issue.

Then a few years later we got a sponsorship from Champion that included all new “fine wire” style plugs, and since that change, plug fouling is a thing of the past.  With fine wires, I just idle at any RPM without issue.  We clean the plugs at annual once a year and that's it. 

So we support both plugs and their behavior.  Using massives promotes good habits.  Fine wires eliminate the problem but as a result, you can get lazy idling at 600RPM all day (that's an option you have flying for real so it's here too). 

Bottom line is this:

• Massive plus:  Keep your idle at 1,000RPM or higher.  If they foul, run the engine at full power until they clear.  It can sometimes take a LONG time.

Scott

I just switched to fine wire this morning. hardly any noticeable drop with a mag check. I still lean anyway, learned that lesson when I flew in real life. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Scott - A2A said:

Bottom line is this:

Scott

I'm really curious if there are any real world downsides to "fine wire" plugs ?

• Like 17

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

I'm really curious if there are any real world downsides to "fine wire" plugs ?

If you have a normally aspirated engine that runs cool, are planning to keep your airplane a long time and fly it 100 hours a year, fine wire plugs are worth the investment from a longevity and cost of maintenance standpoint. Otherwise, the lower cost massive electrode spark plugs will work well.

Question: I was approaching RWY 24 on Shannon (addon airport) and both times suddenly in-flight the propellor went broke and engine cut? What could I have done wrong? Will try another airport (Drachten in the Netherlands was without problem on approach).

Edited by Rene_Feijen

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

4 minutes ago, Rene_Feijen said:

Question: I was approaching RWY 24 on Shannon (addon airport) and both times suddenly in-flight the propellor went broke and engine cut? What could I have done wrong? Will try another airport (Drachten in the Netherlands was without problem on approach).

Perhaps they are simulating bird strikes with Accu-sim too. 😄

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

26 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Shameless plug here hehe:

https://flightsim.to/file/58366/n7621p-livery-for-a2a-comanche

[images snipped but appreciated]

A gorgeous livery, Ryan. Very nice work.

EDIT: Any chance you'd be willing to do a variation of that livery in red? Your livery pushed me over the edge and I've decided to buy the Comanche.

Edited by Malaromane
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rene_Feijen said:

How high were you?  I am thinking there is a problem with the scenery, maybe an invisible object on approach, and you must have hit it.  That is the only thing I can think of.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

12 minutes ago, Malaromane said:

A gorgeous livery, Ryan. Very nice work.

EDIT: Any chance you'd be willing to do a variation of that livery in red? Your livery pushed me over the edge and I've decided to buy the Comanche.

Maybe you might already have it....  The Vegas Viper is the stock livery now....formerly done by Tim HH.  N8351P.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |