Sign in to follow this  
Jaroberts

What flight simulator to update to?

I have P3Dv5.4 with many addons. It runs like a dream and with Orbx base coat looks great. With v6 now out does that look as good or better? 

MSFS 2020 currently on offer for £29, presumably with MSFS 2024 out next year. How does it compare to P3Dv5.4 or v6 even. 

Your comments gratefully received.

Only you can answer that question because it depends on your opinion and your preferences (and also on the addons you have, the budget you have, the hardware you have, etc).

Any alternative is valid and has its pros and cons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

MSFS is were the party is at....it works great and now we have A2A Commanche there too.  I am getting insane graphics with my old rig with Nvidia DLSS

P3Dv5.4 is rock solid and leave it as is.  My FSLabs 320, PMDG 747, Majestic Q400, Leonardo MaddogX all work on it perfectly.  Yes, MaddogX is also available in MSFS.

P3Dv6 is useless for my needs as there really isn't any addon for it.  Sure, we now have Chasepace, ActiveSky, FSDreamteam, Majestic Q400 but that is about it.  No official support from Orbx for v6 and I do not blame them.  Don't waste moving addons on v6 (not all are going to work, and time is money, wasting time with registry redirection is asking for trouble)

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 3

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I installed v6 and got some of my scenery to work there, but the selection of stock aircraft really sucks, especially if you enjoy flying commercial airliners. I know there are a bunch of workarounds to get some addons to work, but I'm not going to mess with my registry or remove, move, and rename a bunch of files. That will only come back to bite me in the butt eventually.  

Pete Locascio

17 minutes ago, klimpen said:

Don't cross the stream to get water.

LOL, I have to remember that one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Vic green

I was tempted to get v6 and thanks to the many posts here, I could make up my mind finally. For the time beeing, I will stay with 5.4.

• Upvote 2

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

21 hours ago, Jaroberts said:

I have P3Dv5.4 with many addons. It runs like a dream and with Orbx base coat looks great. With v6 now out does that look as good or better? 

MSFS 2020 currently on offer for £29, presumably with MSFS 2024 out next year. How does it compare to P3Dv5.4 or v6 even. 

Your comments gratefully received.

MSFS is the way to go. So many advantages...

"A previous P3Dv4.5 user"

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

7 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

I was tempted to get v6 and thanks to the many posts here, I could make up my mind finally. For the time beeing, I will stay with 5.4.

I am with you with this decision! Why should you give up a great sim with a lot of excellent aircraft? I still enjoy P3DV5.4 a lot!

But I also installed MSFS when it became available, and it is growing permanently and certainly going to be a fantastic simulator … but only step by step. The scenery is unbeatable, but many great aircraft are still missing. So, why not keep P3D and start into a new flightsim generation at the same time? Disk space has become so incredibly cheap!

• Upvote 1

Felix

24 minutes ago, Flyfox said:

So, why not keep P3D and start into a new flightsim generation at the same time?

Cause a big change is going on there too for next year. So far, it is unknown, how addons will cope with the new sim. But I admit, the new video of FS2024 has something tempting me. But I only believe, when they deliver. 😉

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Why to pay fee for chaseplane and active sky and have basically same sim as v5 is?

Artur 

Depends on what addons you use, I am heavy on PMDG therefore P3D is the better platform to continue with, transitioning to MSFS would be costly for me. I do have MSFS for fun with GA Aircraft for something else to do from time to time, but with next to no addons the standard version offers enough for me

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

I have both P3D V5.4 and MSFS. I fly airliners in both (mainly in P3D) and GA in MSFS. If you can afford it, go for FS2020. Some of the utilities (for example, Axes and Ohs) work with both sims seamlessly.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.