Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

X-Plane 12.06 Is Full of Many Things

43 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Maybe try and read the full sentence and understand context, in a thread where a certain Linux evangelist likes to show off a lot of cores being used, like that's just a universal good. You can have any piece of software 'use' a lot of cores / threads without actually benefitting from that usage. The difference lies in actually using the cores, the software being properly multi-threaded and taking advantage from the additional threads to gain a performance boost. I wasn't speaking out against developers trying to multi-thread.

When you add a core to a calculation it takes

1/2 the time for 2 cores

1/3 of the time for 3 cores.

1/32 of the time for 32 cores.

However, you also add extra time shuffling memory around. That can very quickly become larger than the benefit you get from reducing the time it takes to calculate.

In windows that happens at around 2 to 4 cores for anything you throw at it. Hence every application from mobile phones to web servers that need to make efficient use of the hardware they are on run a POSIX OS.

It has nothing to do with linux, it is a 35 year old software standard used by most every operating system other than windows. Mac is the same, in fact from recent tests potentially doing a better job, Sony use openBSD. Windows adopted WSL now WSL2. All the R&D to get multicore working as it should has gone into that standard. Microsoft didnt even offer native thread support to developers until 2018 it was so unimportant to them.

And I didnt just post using the cores, the time it took to complete loading xplane was also in those xplane videos that just got deleted.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

There's a bug where at zero visibility during sunsets (and sunrises too, I suspect) far clouds and mountains become visible, and the lighting is unrealistic. I think it predates 12.06 though. I already reported it as a bug.

xNEGN5i.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

1) There's a bug where at zero visibility ..... and mountains become visible, and the lighting is unrealistic. I think it predates 12.06 though.

2) I already reported it as a bug.

1) yes, yes, yes and yes.

2) so did I, back in April. flight during DAYTIME, 0 visibility.

they got that right. under weather settings: 0 visibility. literally. screenshot from my flight during daytime, looks like it was Virginia. or Pennsylvania. or Florida?

pieceofartiicep.jpg

efis007 said"Ladies and gentlemen, the true abstract picture of the Turbomax user is now revealed ! 🧐" efis007 revealed this original scenery I flew over during the above black screenshot after some artificial color correction/replacing in photoshop.

abstract-art2.jpg

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

9 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

It's becoming extremely tedious dealing with the constant hijacking of XPlane threads with Windows-bashing and Linux proselytizing.  Knock it off.

That's zero justification for deleting my post!

Edited by Bjoern
  • Upvote 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

57 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

That's zero justification for deleting my post!

I didn't see your post. what was it? 😊

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

5 hours ago, Murmur said:

There's a bug where at zero visibility during sunsets

not only at sunset. at first I thought they had fixed the 0-visibility bug in 12.06, this looks good, local time 6.pm:

0visibility33fyb.png

then this at 7.30 pm:

0visibility7pmb7dss.png

at 8:30 pm all of a sudden taxiway lights and full moon become clearly visible while still at 0 visibiliy:

0visibility8.30pmfullznc65.png

and this from within the cockpit at 7:30 am:

0visibility12.30ambldce.png

while from outside, same time, same 0 visibility, same location:

0visibility7.30amcsf92.jpg

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

I didn't see your post. what was it? 😊

He responded to my question about Laminar's skills regarding Windows because they develop on macOS. And my concerns if the code can be best optimized for the particular OS if it runs for Linux, Windows and macOS.

Thanks Bjoern, I had still seen your answer.

Edited by Skylon5000
  • Like 2

FSX Computer: I7-980X @4GHZ - Kingston DDR3 1066MHZ (7-7-7-20) - Gainwaird GTX285 1GB - 2x Raptor 150GB (1. Generation)

On 7/29/2023 at 12:00 PM, GoranM said:

Someone made an incorrect statement.  And it isn't the first time he's done this.

I corrected him.

White knighting??

🤷‍♂️

Yes, white knighting because of how far you took it. You could have corrected him without linking to his YT page or "exposing" him for making his intentions to buy an unreleased sim known. That last one must have stung. In any case, it just isn't the way I'd expect a CM to behave imo.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

18 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Yes, white knighting because of how far you took it. You could have corrected him without linking to his YT page or "exposing" him for making his intentions to buy an unreleased sim known. That last one must have stung. In any case, it just isn't the way I'd expect a CM to behave imo.

1st of all, his YouTube channel link is in his signature. 
2nd. He has come in here, and posted the exact same thing, several times. With a few of us, patiently, explaining to him how he is incorrect, on each and every occasion.  A very popular post he made was how he will gladly admit he was wrong if Laminar releases X-Plane 12.  I wonder how people would be treated in other sections of avsim if they kept repeating the same negative opinion in different threads over several years.

Its very noble of you to speak for him and defend him (wait, are you white knighting??), but I give him enough credit for being a mature enough person to be able to speak for himself.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

So...

I tried 12.06 b2, but I get some black screen flashes from time to time ?

The screen goes pitch dark 1,2,3... times in a second or so, and it's more prevalent if I pan around in the cockpit.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

15 minutes ago, jcomm said:

So...

I tried 12.06 b2, but I get some black screen flashes from time to time ?

The screen goes pitch dark 1,2,3... times in a second or so, and it's more prevalent if I pan around in the cockpit.

Getting something similar, black screen flashes. Also see a tiny bit of purple in these flashes, thought my GPU was going funky for a moment. Then 5 minutes later it stopped.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

4 hours ago, Skylon5000 said:

Thanks Bjoern, I had still seen your answer.

Typing all that down at least wasn't in vain. You're welcome.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

GPU NV 2080 Super vid card, still bad AA and shimmering no matter what's tried, will they ever fix this ??

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jymp said:

GPU NV 2080 Super vid card, still bad AA and shimmering no matter what's tried, will they ever fix this ??

Nah, they leave it there so people will complain. Everything in graphics comes at a price. They aim for some efficiencies before they start down that road so it wont hit FPS. People demand but never think of the consequences. Lets see what next beta does.