Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

eBikes and eScooters spontaneous combustion.

1 minute ago, SolRayz said:

Do we have another century?

Maybe, but if we don't then it will be war, not the other fake issue, that will destroy us.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Lots of reasons why eBikes are a pain and can catch fire.

Poorly made batteries.

Uncertified batteries.

Batteries replaced with batteries that aren't designed for the bike.

Damage to batteries due to accidents. 

Not the proper charger used.

Biggest pain is how quiet they are and how fast the owners ride them. I had two people on the things whizz past me today and I had no idea they were there.  😡

4 minutes ago, charliearon said:

If it goes off topic, you're right! :ph34r:

Looks like it has, but there you go. 

Have we become so lazy that we need e-bikes now?  What happened to pushing pedals?  Or is that old technology ready for the rubbish heap?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

If it goes off topic, you're right! :ph34r:

What is the topic? Is it about electric powered vehicles being not such a clever idea after all? 🤨

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Just now, Ron Attwood said:

What is the topic? Is it about electric powered vehicles being not such a clever idea after all? 🤨

You're right, Ron!  It's not about power generation or any of the other taboo topics! 🙄

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

No, Its about electric bikes not vehicles.

But it seems to have become about...  "politicians flying around in business jets despite a certain atmospheric phenomenon, renewable energy subsides, UK government investing in fossil fuels, government racking in billions through insider trading". 

If that list doesn't include taboo topics then I find myself a bit confused. 

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Have we become so lazy that we need e-bikes now?

Well, e-bikes are pretty cool, plus they will be very popular once the goal of eliminating most cars, by making them unaffordable for most folks, is accomplished.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

In NYC electrics have been the mode of choice for delivery people, seem to be mostly food delivery.  The economics require cheap and fast, which means not the best battery tech.  The upshot is now cyclists complain about e things blocking the bike paths during deliveries and whizzing past.  So may be better to be in the street not the bike lane.

scott s.

In China, those ebikes are forbidden to going into any residential building, even if it's your own home. While most place will provide some sort of changing station for them with a bit of isolation and fire equipment around (most of the time not sufficient IMO though).

In my apartment's elevator there is still a poster of screenshot on video about ebike catches fire inside an elevator, to stop people from taking them inside elevator and also back home.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:08 PM, birdguy said:

Have we become so lazy that we need e-bikes now?  What happened to pushing pedals?  Or is that old technology ready for the rubbish heap?

Noel, all ebikes have pedals, and most have 7-speed Shimano gears, just like regular bikes. The electric motor is there to provide various levels of assistance, but only works while pedaling for the most part.

1. Class 1 has pedal assistance only
  2. Class 2 has pedal assistance as well as "throttle control".
  3. Class 3 has same as Class 2, but the motor is more powerful than a Class 2.

They are just pedal pusher vehicles! 😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Whack LFP batteries in them. Some of those BYD batteries. Fire risk minimal.

I live in a college town and the things are just abandoned wherever they stop (rentals). Sunday I encountered a big one with a seat occupying the bike lane. A flying sidekick from a 230 lb man on a bicycle sending a surprisingly heavy hazard to navigation to the curb must have been an impressive sight.

37 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

230 lb man on a bicycle sending a surprisingly heavy hazard to navigation to the curb must have been an impressive sight

No wonder they catch fire. It's you. 😮

On 8/20/2023 at 11:08 AM, birdguy said:

Noel

While out for a bike ride last summer I had a chat with an elderly couple over lunch who were enjoying their ride on their new ebikes. The extra boost from the electric motor meant they could still get out and enjoy bike rides that they couldn't otherwise (there are some pretty big hills around here) and had nothing to do with being lazy.

• Like 2