Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Potential improvements for sky colors

58 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

The best settings are still MorThe2nd's values?

Guess that depends on personal preference. Now you can compare them without having to exit the sim, so it's easier to decide which ones you prefer.

• Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

38 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Anyone else notice the BMP textures in FS-Base with names like "sky_afternoon_0",  "sky_dawn_3",  etc

Strange. Why would they need them?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Strange. Why would they need them?

Those are identical to the FSX sky textures and not used, so if I had to guess they were either left there when Asobo was studying FSX code or added for some weird backwards compatibility reasons.

Edited by Biology
  • Like 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

2 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Anyone else notice the BMP textures in FS-Base with names like "sky_afternoon_0",  "sky_dawn_3",  etc

It’s probably used as an underlay for the weather and time description when setting up a flight. 

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

@Drunq sorry for bothering but how does your live memory changing tool works? I run MSFS on Linux so I was trying to make a similar tool that runs natively on Linux, but I couldn't make much progress.

• Like 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

23 hours ago, turbomax said:

Seb in last Q&A: "a completely revamped graphics engine"

Didn't he said atmospheric engine not graphical?

Speaking of sky textures, can the night sky texture be edited? The star texture is so low res.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biology said:

@Drunq sorry for bothering but how does your live memory changing tool works? I run MSFS on Linux so I was trying to make a similar tool that runs natively on Linux, but I couldn't make much progress.

Not at all!

Linux is unfortunately a domain I know very little about, so I may not be of much help in that regard. However, I can provide a brief explanation of how my patch works on a Windows.

Essentially, the patch is a .dll file that has been renamed to .asi. This renaming is done so that the asi-loader recognizes it and knows to inject it into the game's process. The specific asi-loader I use is called Ultimate-ASI-Loader, it imitates the behavior of a Windows .dll the game tries to load (dinput8.dll in this case) and also additionally loads any .asi's found in the root directory. It's abusing the fact that Windows first looks for the .dll the game is trying to load in the root folder of the application and in case it doesn't exist, it looks in "C:\Windows\System32" which it then does.

Anyway that's how the .asi (.dll) get's loaded into the game's process. Because of that fact, I have read and write access to the game's memory at that point. All I do is search for a specific pattern of bytes I need to modify in the game's memory, which in this case is "C3 64 2A 3A E3 8B F6 3A 07 42 B2 38" (representing 3 floats of 4 bytes each: 0.00065, 0.001881, and 0.000085). Once I locate this byte pattern, I retrieve the memory address pointer, which allows me to make the necessary modifications.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

Didn't he said atmospheric engine not graphical?

Sebastian in last Q&A: "our revamped color engine in MSFS 2024 will be much better".

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

10 hours ago, Biology said:

how does your live memory changing tool work

https://github.com/ThirteenAG/Ultimate-ASI-Loader/releases

DESCRIPTION

This is a DLL file which adds ASI plugin loading functionality to any game, which uses any of the following libraries:

• d3d8.dll
  • d3d9.dll
  • d3d11.dll
  • ddraw.dll
  • dinput.dll
  • dinput8.dll (x86 and x64)

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

Before-After examples with MorThe2nd colors, using the Drunq's latest version 1.2.1, based on Biology's initial research, without and with clouds, 6:00 p.m. at KJOT (slight color banding artefacts due to reduction to 256 colors of GIF-animation format)

animation1f2izo.gif

animation3-system1hd2t.gif

6:00 p.m.

animation4-slewo8f6d.gif

6:30 p.m.

animation5-0630pm-slehgie9.gif

6:40 p.m.

animation5-0640pm-sleivc4q.gif

and absolutely no difference at 12:00 noon

screenshot9mueti.png

slightly edited MSFS2020.ARPC.ini that I used, toggle keys: CTRL INS

; WARNING: Do not leave values blank; remove the entire line.

[COEFFICIENTS]

; Biology initial colors:
;RED = 0.002723
;GREEN = 0.001831
;BLUE = -0.000083096

; MorThe2nd colors:

RED = 0.00508
GREEN = 0.00318
BLUE = 0.0

; Enable the live editing functionality
; When enabled, changes to the coefficients reflect in-game when saved
LIVE_EDITING_ENABLED = true; default war false ; Set to 'true' to enable live editing

[TOGGLE]
; Enable the toggle functionality
ENABLED = true; default war false ; Set to 'true' to enable the toggle feature

; Key code for toggling (See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/inputdev/virtual-key-codes)
KEY_CODE = 0x2D ; default: INSERT

; Enable or disable key modifiers
HOLD_ALT = false ; Set to 'true' to use Alt as a modifier
HOLD_CTRL = true ; Set to 'false' to disable Ctrl as a modifier
HOLD_SHIFT = false ; Set to 'true' to use Shift as a modifier

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 9

very nice.

Okay, I could need some help. Sorry if this was asked already. The thread is quite long by now. I just don't want to brick my sim. 

I need to convert my Ms store version from legacy to modern install. I found the topic in the MSFS2020 tips and tricks forum, posted by @bobcat999. There is a link to parallel42 describing the procedure.

Eventually, I get asked to choose a drive, where to install 'this game' and that it requires 157 GB.

It sounds like this will be the real and final location of all the sim files!? I thought, my legacy sim install will only be altered in a way, keeping the current install location. 

Can anyone shed some light on this for me, please? Thanks. 

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

2 minutes ago, NovemberUniform said:

Can anyone shed some light on this for me, please? Thanks. 

in my case, while it said 157 GB, it only moved 2 GB.

very nice.

2 minutes ago, turbomax said:

in my case, while it said 157 GB, it only moved 2 GB.

Thanks! Yes, I have read that elsewhere. Are these 2GB placed in the specified install location (it defaults to c:\XboxGames)? So all the old MSFS install files remain, correct?

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px