Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

VoxATC in beta - Performance demonstration

One question Kevin if I may...

I owned the P3d version and thought it was great.

One little annoyance was being in a small light aircraft at a major field with a long runway and having to taxi all the way to the end as if I was a 737 and needed all the length.

In the MSFS version will we be able to choose an intersection? 

20 minutes ago, davenicoll said:

One little annoyance was being in a small light aircraft at a major field with a long runway and having to taxi all the way to the end as if I was a 737 and needed all the length.

So far with the closed MSFS beta, the answer is no. Taxi schemes vary so much for each airport. Prevailing conditions also impact the scheme. At some airports, ATC may issue a taxi clearance to a runway with intermediate taxiways (as you've suggested), while at others ATC may issue a taxi clearance to a holding point and then issue a second clearance as the aircraft approaches that point. Most airports that I'm familiar with, use standard taxi routings to the runway's furthest hold point. It's difficult to see how to allow the flexibility that you suggest without making the logic overly cumbersome for all airports. I will pass this along to the full development team, though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, davenicoll said:

I've already asked for intersection departures to be implemented for this very reason.  reply: "I can add in the request for an intersection departure at some stage. It should not be too difficult."

To be honest in my experience at EGGP, where there are high speed exits from the runway that could reasonably be used for intersection departures, in RL they never were.  The only time I ever got a departure from not the runway end was when a 737 was lined up ready to go from alpha at the threshold on 27 and I was queue jumped onto the runway ahead of them by bravo (now closed).  Nice touch by the controller to get me away quick 😉

So short answer not yet, long answer, in the medium term yes we can look at it, but let's get a stable version released first before implementing new features 👍

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

I've already asked for intersection departures

& backtracking .... though Vox currently delays arriving traffic to allow such where necessary, just gives takeoff clearance before backtrack is complete (P3D @ YBCS eg).

for now, cheers

john martin

One issue that VATC would not have had to deal with in P3d is taxiway identifications. Most of the taxiways in MSFS are not named in correspondence with the real airport's naming schemes because Blackshark AI named them by itself rather than pulling the charts. Will VATC use the in-sim taxiway designations or the real-world ones?

On 10/6/2023 at 4:56 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

The VOXATC UI also displays simple maps of the departure and arrival airports

2 hours ago, eslader said:

Will VATC use the in-sim taxiway designations

VATC has always used in-sim designators ..... just that most P3D's match real charts. I suspect though the UI maps will be of in-sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

for now, cheers

john martin

2 hours ago, eslader said:

One issue that VATC would not have had to deal with in P3d is taxiway identifications. Most of the taxiways in MSFS are not named in correspondence with the real airport's naming schemes because Blackshark AI named them by itself rather than pulling the charts. Will VATC use the in-sim taxiway designations or the real-world ones?

I think that the taxiway naming scheme is highly dependent on what airport you are talking about. Many of the bigger US MSFS stock airports have taxiways named correctly. When it comes to taxiway network glitches, that's another story altogether. Most of the taxiway geometry is correct, but every so often a taxiway is isolated because it is incorrectly connected to a vehicle path. And gate numbering is haphazard also. Of course, there are no airline codes for MSFS gate parking spots for the stock airports.

In any case, the data source dictates whether gates and taxiways are true to the real world airport. Asobo and Blackshark AI  couldn't do anything about either missing or incorrect data. 3rd party ATC apps can only work with the airport data that's available. VOXATC isn't any different in that regard. If your local MSFS stock airport has mistakes, your best option is to search for a version in flightsim.to, etc. that is correct. What I do for airports that I fly to to on a regular basis is to create a whole new airport in MSFS developer mode that inherits everything from the stock MSFS airport. Then I fix the taxiways, gates and add airline codes. It's not so bad, once you try doing it.

• Upvote 1

That´s why I asked for EDDL. 

This airport is far from being perfect regarding the taxiways. And I think that every Navigraph-Update makes it worse (default - airport of course).

On 10/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, techman said:

That´s why I asked for EDDL. 

This airport is far from being perfect regarding the taxiways. And I think that every Navigraph-Update makes it worse (default - airport of course).

Ok will take a look

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Would anyone be interested in a VoxATC discord server being set up?

• Upvote 3

xaP1VAU.png

6 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Yes.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Absolutely Kevin.  I've been a user of VoxATC since FS2004 and have been anxiously awaiting any news at all of a possible MSFS version.  Count me in!

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Count me in please...