Sign in to follow this  
vbazillio

Bowerman (vintage) KHQM freeware dev started

Bowerman airport (KHQM) is a small airfield on the Pacific North West Coast. It could be the perfect starting point to explore this awesome area. The default MSFS rendition is AI generated and could benefit from a little work :wink: With it’s 6-24 asphalt runway of 5,000 feet (1,524 meters), KHQM is promoted as “Only Jet-Capable Airport” by the local authority. 

For the older simmers around here, I’m sure you remember the Orbx rendition that set the standard in quality for P3D/FSx. So, let’s bring back souvenir. Hope you’ll enjoy these early dev pics.

ca1fd8656bedf1caa733e99290ec705d01294481

I know Lana’s Cafe has moved downtown and isn’t anymore at the airport. But I choose to make a Vintage rendition of KHQM Bowerman.

e0f2c310f101d9375ca5ecbb8e29f066401dc1b3

If you want to support, click “Follow” https://flightsim.to/requests/sceneries/476/khqm-bowerman (and/or on the second https://flightsim.to/requests/sceneries/7281/khqm-bowerman-airport-washington).

• Like 23
  • Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Nice. I tried some freeware mock ups of Bowerman but nothing has ever captured the charm of the FSX/P3D version. Even some of older Orbx airports ported to MSFS lost the charm because they stand out like a sore thumb that they are ported assets from another platform. They don't blend into to the MSFS world

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Cool, really like this airport and glad to see I it getting the Bazillio touch!

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

One of my favorite airports in P3D, I'm really glad to see you're modeling it. I was surprised this spot on the map stayed empty for so long on the flightsim.to scenery map 🙂

• Like 1

Great to hear that this airport finally gets attention. And even better, it will be done by Vincent. Thank you!

• Like 3

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Awesome!  I just flew here and was thinking how the airport could use a face lift hehe 

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Great news!

My default twin prop test flight is KHQM to KAST.

Loved Orbx KHQM in P3D and can't wait to see it it MSFS!.

• Like 2

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX4080 Super Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

Literally everything you make is amazing. Best of all, I have no reason to see your scenery conflicting and causing CTD's so EVEN better!
!

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

This is exciting! I return to Lana's Cafe is always in order 🙂 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

Magnificent work already, Vincent. May I add some real life pictures I took about a year ago..:

The entry sign just right at the gate of the road past the hangars:

LICqmFS.jpg

A hangar (and the gate to the left):

ulLXqWh.jpg

Some airport infrastructure, as shown in the Orbx version already:

tywnF3W.jpg

The main airport building at the northeastern end of the parking area, ...

IlQZDFY.jpg

... and the sign on it.

CHe5idm.jpg

The FedEx building.

o0aEbgi.jpg

But now the big disappointment: Lana´s Cafe. Indeed you must manipulate reality and bring the cafe back, just as @sniper31 said...!

SMtrAqY.jpg

• Like 5

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

Hardware: Intel i9-13900K @ 4.2 Ghz, BENQ EW3270U (3840*2160), 32 GB RAM DDR5-6000, Gigabyte Gaming OC Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB, Samsung 980 Pro M.2: 1 TB (Win 11-System), Samsung 870 QVO SSD: 2 TB (MSFS), 2 * Samsung 850 EVO SSD: 1 TB (P3D 4.5 HF3) & 500 GB (spare). Scenery / Add-Ons: Lots of commercial & freeware sceneries. Plus REX Weather Force (MSFS), FS Global Mesh 2010, ActiveSky_P3Dv4, ASCA, EzDok v3, Pro-ATC/X and REX 4 Texture Direct (all for P3D).

1 hour ago, Stiller Water said:

May I add some real life pictures I took about a year ago..:

WUNDERFUL! THANK YOU ! It will be very useful as there isn't much ground pic on Internet. No Google Streetview for example. If you have others pic, feel free to share (in PM?).

And if others have their own pic to share, please!

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1

Vincent B.

I loved this airport in P3D.    I spent so much time in the PNW in P3D but have not really done that much of it in MSFS.  Must get back there

• Like 1

Nice project. I remember this airport fondly from the days I used to fly FSX using Orbx's PNW scenery and the freeware airport.

Sadly, as shown above, the cafe has long since gone and it's lost some of its character, but glad to see it being recreated as it was 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

I loved this airport in P3D.    I spent so much time in the PNW in P3D but have not really done that much of it in MSFS.  Must get back there

Question for all PNW addicts. I'm building a basic map of destinations around KHQM. What are the top 3 airfields at max 1 hour (Kodiak, 206...) to point out on this map departing from Bowerman ? Objective is to give ideas of sightseeing flights en route or with a good addon at destination.

Thanks to all for your support! As an amateur/lonely dev, it's really appreciated!

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1

Vincent B.