Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Starship Launch!

Big booster bada boom!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Yep. Starship did great, all Raptors fired, reached space, landed in the ocean perfectly. 

Booster was dealt with by the termination system so that worked perfectly too.

And the pad looks undamaged so water deluge worked great. 

Edited by martin-w

I think it's the other way around.

They lost the booster on the boost-back burn, and it appears the flight termination system activated on Starship shortly after engine-cutoff.

Super successful test nonetheless.....hot-staging worked, and Starship got to space.

The launchpad looks like it's still intact as well. That's a huge win.

Edit: Still waiting on full confirmation on some of the above.

DB

Edited by DaviiB
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DaviiB said:

I think it's the other way around.

They lost the booster on the boost-back burn, and it appears the flight termination system activated on Starship shortly after engine-cutoff.

Yep, I just came back to correct that.

3 minutes ago, DaviiB said:

The launchpad looks like it's still intact as well. That's a huge win.

It looks like it's in great condition to me. Water deluge seemed to work well.

4 minutes ago, martin-w said:

It looks like it's in great condition to me. Water deluge seemed to work well.

So another launch within weeks rather than months?

Rather than start a new thread about starships, I'll just throw this bit of eye candy I found this morning in here from a previous launch. Almost looks like cheap sci-fi, at first....

Interesting times....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

11 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Rather than start a new thread about starships, I'll just throw this bit of eye candy I found this morning in here from a previous launch. Almost looks like cheap sci-fi, at first....

Simply stunning.  Finally, rocket ships that actually land, just like in the old sci-fi movies.

Can't wait for them to do this with a human crew.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

I'll just throw this bit of eye candy I found this morning in here from a previous launch.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Besides the Rocky Jones Space Ranger landings, I was wondering if this "hot separation" between booster and payload caused the booster to explode and also damaged the payload starship?

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

42 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Besides the Rocky Jones Space Ranger landings, I was wondering if this "hot separation" between booster and payload caused the booster to explode and also damaged the payload starship?

Not sure. Hot staging seemed to be fine. 

This is a good rundown of the launch. I guess the hot staging could have caused damage. 

Edited by martin-w

The detonation of the booster seems to have been done manually because it had not oriented itself properly for the descent. It was nowhere near Starship when it exploded.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

A rapid unscheduled disassembly.....

This is approaching Monthy Python levels of deadpan delivery. 😜

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5