Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Give DX12 another chance after SU14

If you tried DX12 in the past, but DX11 still performed better for you, you might give DX12 another chance after you've upgraded to SU14. Until the release of SU14, I always got better performance with DX11. By contrast, DX12 had always introduced stutters and graphics anomalies on my system. With each new Sim Update, I'd always try out DX12 once again to see how things went. I usually reverted immediately to DX11.

With SU14, however, many of the previous issues with DX12 appear to have been fixed. I've never seen the sim run as smoothly as it now does. So if, like me, you avoided DX12 in the past, you might consider giving it another chance after you've upgraded to SU14.

• Like 19

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

3 minutes ago, David Mills said:

If you tried DX12 in the past, but DX11 still performed better for you, you might give DX12 another chance after you've upgraded to SU14. Until the release of SU14, I always got better performance with DX11. By contrast, DX12 had always introduced stutters and graphics anomalies on my system. With each new Sim Update, I'd always try out DX12 once again to see how things went. I usually reverted immediately to DX11.

With SU14, however, many of the previous issues with DX12 appear to have been fixed. I've never seen the sim run as smoothly as it now does. So if, like me, you avoided DX12 in the past, you might consider giving it another chance after you've upgraded to SU14.

I would do if the airports didn't vanish with it. It's always been a frustration to me because DX12 has always been smoother on my machine but because the airport ground textures would disappear it's been unusable.

Every update the first thing I do is rush to turn on DX12 in the hope they have bothered to fix it and every update they haven't. I will do the same again today....what are the odds, I wonder......quite slim, I fear.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 minute ago, Jazz said:

I would do if the airports didn't vanish with it. It's always been a frustration to me because DX12 has always been smoother on my machine but because the airport ground textures would disappear it's been unusable.

Every update the first thing I do is rush to turn on DX12 in the hope they have bothered to fix it and every update they haven't. I will do the same again today....what are the odds, I wonder......quite slim, I fear.

Let us know your results please

• Like 1

Luka Makhviladze
PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Using VR I've previously avoided DX12 like the plague, as it was mainly a slide show. Occasionally I'd take a look after an update and it gradually improved in terms of performance, then last night I did a bunch of VR Benchmarks in preparation for todays update and was surprised to see how well DX12 performed with S13 as it was the first time I looked with that update, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any difference when I benchmark todays update later.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Be sure to erase the shaders cache when switching or trying a new development in MSFS regarding DX11/12.

Edited by bvdboomen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bvdboomen said:

Be sure to erase the shaders cache when switching or trying a new development in MSFS regarding DX11/12.

Naturally

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

@bvdboomen I never had to erase / flush any shaders since the launch of MSFS and could not find any informations from Asobo that it should be done when switching DX or getting new drivers or else....

Are there any tehnical reasons that it should be done?

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Wasn't there an Nvidia driver update earlier in the year that negated the need to delete shaders? 

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

15 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Wasn't there an Nvidia driver update earlier in the year that negated the need to delete shaders? 

Chicken Soup Rule: "It might not help but it certainly won't hurt."

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Indeed, much improved on DX12. Thanks for pointing it out. 

• Like 2

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I've been DX12 for a while now with TAA and FG on.  Even in 13, I thought DX12 was good.  But maybe that's just me.  

• Like 5

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Don't wanna get to excited.  I Got I7-10700K 32Gb Ram 3600mhz & RTX 2070 Super try DX12 now with TAA option.  Gauges look good no blur and haven't noticed that darn flash yet.  Don't wanna get my hope's up. But if the flash is cured in TAA I think I will benefit a lot better off of DX12.

Happy Landings 2cents

Edited by jwhak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I've been DX12 for a while now with TAA and FG on.  Even in 13, I thought DX12 was good.  But maybe that's just me.  

Likewise, Fg is a must. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Don't wanna get to excited.  I Got I7-10700K 32Gb Ram 3600mhz & RTX 2070 Super try DX12 now with TAA option.  Gauges look good no blur and haven't noticed that darn flash yet.  Don't wanna get my hope's up. But if the flash is cured in TAA I think I will benefit a lot better of of DX12.

Happy Landings 2cents

That screen flash is caused by having Bloom enabled. I've yet to try the new update so cannot verify but if it happens again and you wish to stay on DX12, simply turn off Bloom under the Graphics setting.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AviationEnthusiast said:

That screen flash is caused by having Bloom enabled. I've yet to try the new update so cannot verify but if it happens again and you wish to stay on DX12, simply turn off Bloom under the Graphics setting.

Holy word not allowed Batman... Got Bloom on and still no flash so far in TAA. Like my RTX 2070 Super just ate some spinach popeye style. Thankful for this absolutely spectacular.

Happy Landings All

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1