Sign in to follow this  
polosim

SimWorks Studios Pilatus PC-12 released

for those who own both PC-12: considering the usual  Carenado bashing, what (if) does this PC-12 have that the Carenado version does not have?

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

So, a few more traffic patterns and practice approaches after the first update:

- TDS is now showing up, yay!

- Directional control during T/O still a problem. Apparently the plane switches into a "in flight" flight model logic above 80 KIAS (whatever that's supposed to be) and rudder control on the ground becomes an issue. Rotating at about 70 to 75 KIAS solves the problem. During landing, the problem still persist and leads to comical swerving once touching down

Update: I'll paste a comment from Alex on the Discord here:

The same problem exists with landings. Touch down at the stall horn or as close as possible. Establish lateral control and then reverse, otherwise you risk skating. It should not be THAT easy to skate, but we are working at the limits of the MSFS ground handling there. Considering that the plane can fly at 51kts with flaps 40, touching down at 80 is definitely "skating territory". We will look into improving that if we can, but for now you must fly by the numbers and IMPORTANTLY keep your PC-12 yoke centered. The aileron-rudder interconnect will give you aileron in the direction of pedals, which in turn will create opposite yaw and making things worse. Cross-control is key because there is no way to actually "feel" the yoke pushing your hands.

- HDG mode is constantly rolling around the commanded heading by +- 10° bank

- Classic "early days of MSFS" A/P behaviour during LOC capture, complete with very shallow capture angle, random overshoots and/or non-captures (using the TDS NXi)

- Rudder behaviour in flight unchanged, still needs massive amounts of rudder to fly coordinated turns

Now a few good things:

- Sounds are really nice

- The modelling, inside and out is fantastic

- Engine modelling I can't say because I haven't taken it up into the FLs yet

- Flight model in the air feels very nice, I really like hand-flying the PC12

- I like the slow trim

Overall so far...decidedly meh! Feels like an early-days MSFS release to me, i.e. kind of like the releases that happened around 2 years ago. But since then, FlySimWare, A2A, FSReborn and BlackSquare have shown what's possible in the GA space (not to mention PMDG and Fenix in terms of highly complex airliners), and honestly, this one is (as of now) lagging behind. On the other hand, it was only 24,99 €.

Edited by psychedelic_tortilla
  • Like 2

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

Me finks I'll sit and wait for some further positive feedback

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

And another thing that came to mind:

The fact that you have to choose which GPS navigator you want to use at installation and that's then the only option you have available is...let's call it "not state of the art" anymore. That's what I mean by "feels like a release from two years ago". 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, A320_SX ALX said:

In our website the price is tax-inclusive because we don't pay re-seller commissions and can keep it low.

Most other shops add tax on top of the base price. We used to do it this way too, but it is simpler for the customer -they pay what they see.

@JYW the sun visor can be easily used with the scroll wheel, it only has 10 positions. Because it is indeed a nuisance, click its pivot point on the ceiling and it will automatically be stowed to neutral. Thank SimAcoustics for the idea he gave me. 🙂

I have been trying to register on your site since last night with no success. I never get the email to confirm and yet the system tells me I am registered.

Ron Lefebvre

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

1 hour ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

I have been trying to register on your site since last night with no success. I never get the email to confirm and yet the system tells me I am registered.

Ron Lefebvre

Finally got it. Will buy directly from your site.

Merry Christmas

Ron

• Like 1

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

I did some flying now and really like it. Now have the TDS 750 working and all the systems are really well modeled in my opinion.

Everything works on this plane and it is a really special one indeed because it almost has a “airline feel” to it with the overhead panel but then only has one proppelor and can land on short grass strips.

It flies like a “proper” airplane like that it really feels like it has weight unlike some other add ons which sometimes feel like a feather.

Also it has it own unique procedures and quirks which you need to learn.

Overall I like it a lot and will do some more flying with this one! 

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, rob0203 said:

It flies like a “proper” airplane like that it really feels like it has weight unlike some other add ons which sometimes feel like a feather.

It's comments like this I'm looking for when I'm quietly judging whether an aircraft is worthy of my purchase. What you wrote there is cirtical fo rme in an aircraft addon. Now, judging whether your weight is my weight is a different matter but combined with mention of a slow trim I'm beginning to like the sound of this.

• Like 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

6 hours ago, turbomax said:

for those who own both PC-12: considering the usual  Carenado bashing, what (if) does this PC-12 have that the Carenado version does not have?

Fidelity

• Like 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

Tutorial with actual PC-12 driver

• Like 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Alright, more thoughts (what, I'm on vacation and my wife's away on business, I've got nothing but time 😄 )

- The A/P HDG mode and ILS problems went away with the GNS 430/540. There's some communication error from the PC-12 to the TDS, it's being investigated

- The sounds are really amazing! Every switch and dial sounds unique, and the PT6A is humming/whining beautifully

- Engine model looks to me like the best PT6A simulation in MSFS so far (maybe tied with the M500). You really have to watch your torque and/or ITT as you climb lest the plane incessantly beep at you. In the M500 (as per the IRL airplane) high ITT or high NG isn't really a concern at normal ISA deviations, since the PT6A in the M500 is so heavily derated. The PC-12 is a different beast in that regard, that version of the PT6 will burn you if you're not careful (well, not that it really matters, since failures aren't modelled, but still)

- Ground roll behaviour: Early rotation on T/O eliminates the sudden yaw moment, and really being slow on landing, pulling power early and letting the plane stall the last few feet fixes the uncontrollability on landing as well. Also cross-controlling your rudder inputs with opposite aileron on landing helps a lot (since the two are linked)

- Rudder in the air: YD helps, but it still feels off (but what do I know, I've never flown the thing IRL). The reason why there is a rudder-aileron interconnect is to eliminate adverse yaw, but the SWS PC-12 still adverse-yaws like crazy, the turn coordinator is way off toward the inside wing in a turn

- It is still a little heavy on FPS, certainly heavier than any other GA plane in MSFS

Swapping the TDS for the stock GNS combo seemed to eliminate the autopilot-related gremlins, let's hope SWS can fix the TDS behaviour soon. 

Handflying it is actually an absolute joy! This is (for my taste) without a doubt the nicest GA plane to hand-fly in MSFS! Super stable, heavy, easy to finely trim. Perfect in that regard!

Edited by psychedelic_tortilla
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, psychedelic_tortilla said:

- The A/P HDG mode and ILS problems went away with the GNS 430/540. There's some communication error from the PC-12 to the TDS, it's being investigated

I never had those problems before the patch. I shot coupld LPV and ILS approaches flowlessly 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Just now, sd_flyer said:

I never had those problems before the patch. I shot coupld LPV and ILS approaches flowlessly 

You mean with the TDS? Hmm, might have to check again...the installer is already glowing red-hot with this plane 😉