Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS: “A Loss Of Trust From Our Player Community"

3 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

But the updates are automatic.  So do you have to hold off flying in the sim for another time?

Yes, I generally do so. SU or WU days are reserved for social life 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

But the updates are automatic.  So do you have to hold off flying in the sim for another time?

Or why not introducing the option to skip the update this time and do it at a later time? Other, smaller companies than Asobo are able to do that and even do so ...

• Like 3

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

7 minutes ago, PTI139 said:

Yes, I generally do so. SU or WU days are reserved for social life 🙂

Probably not a bad idea.  I am beginning to think we take this sim far too seriously sometimes. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

33 minutes ago, Maxis said:

The masses need to get mad about something i guess.

A person who gets mad over a slow update needs to do some soul-searching and reexamine his life's priorities.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ErichB said:

Everything these days has to be a drama.

I dont know if xbox user can play other games while downloading. I'm using msfs on pc and can continue using my pc while updating.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

20 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

Or why not introducing the option to skip the update this time and do it at a later time? Other, smaller companies than Asobo are able to do that and even do so ...

Because the Sim relies on streaming data, therefore everyone needs to be on the same update. Think if it like an MMORPG whereby the servers go down for a period to update to the latest version, then everyone plays on the same version when they're back live. MSFS is similar to that so that when an update is pushed, everyone has to download it before playing otherwise you'll get discrepancies in versions. 

It's a lot more complicated than that, but it certainly isn't a simple thing to "skip" updates with this format and design unfortunately.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 hour ago, flying_carpet said:

Nah, we don't need them to follow the archaic methods of the other sims. We just need their servers properly calibrated. Those smaller companies' online infrastucture would completely buckle if they were getting MSFS numbers right now and not just for six hours so they'll do what they have to do.

• Like 5

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

43 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Because the Sim relies on streaming data, therefore everyone needs to be on the same update. Think if it like an MMORPG whereby the servers go down for a period to update to the latest version, then everyone plays on the same version when they're back live. MSFS is similar to that so that when an update is pushed, everyone has to download it before playing otherwise you'll get discrepancies in versions. 

It's a lot more complicated than that, but it certainly isn't a simple thing to "skip" updates with this format and design unfortunately.

Ermm, I remain skeptical ... Isn't the streaming data on the servers? Google* has its Maps and Streetview data also on servers as "streaming" data. Still, you can access it from an outdated Google Earth app (I know it from own experience), from within a browser (be it on Win, Lin, Mac, Firefox, Edge, Safari, Internet Explorer, Opera, ...), mobile devices, ... Do they have the streaming data stored for each of these options separate?

* However, Google is bigger than Asobo, but then again, the company behind all that is ... MS.

• Like 2

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

2 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

Ermm, I remain skeptical ... Isn't the streaming data on the servers? Google* has its Maps and Streetview data also on servers as "streaming" data. Still, you can access it from an outdated Google Earth app (I know it from own experience), from within a browser (be it on Win, Lin, Mac, Firefox, Edge, Safari, Internet Explorer, Opera, ...), mobile devices, ... Do they have the streaming data stored for each of these options separate?

* However, Google is bigger than Asobo, but then again, the company behind all that is ... MS.

Yeah I don't know the complexities of it, it's a subject that gets brought up quite often and one poster did go into detail on the official forums ages ago as to why we can't just Skip updates (can't recall exactly what was said). Either way it is what it is and it probably won't change for MSFS2024.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

17 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Nah, we don't need them to follow the archaic methods of the other sims. We just need their servers properly calibrated. Those smaller companies' online infrastucture would completely buckle if they were getting MSFS numbers right now and not just for six hours so they'll do what they have to do.

Well said 👍

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

26 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Those smaller companies' online infrastucture would completely buckle if they were getting MSFS numbers right now and not just for six hours so they'll do what they have to do.

Hasn‘t it touched your mind that their infrastructure wouldn‘t be that small if they got the same numbers of users and money?

• Upvote 3

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

43 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

Ermm, I remain skeptical ...

So you think it's a conspiracy to word not allowed people off?  Or they just never thought about a different option, all 100s of people behind the sim's development?  Or is it possible your skepticism doesn't have enough knowledge of reality to draw any conclusions from?

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It shouldn't be too hard to grasp for those who're *genuinely* skeptical about why forced MSFS client upgrades are required, especially those familiar with client/server software systems, MMO games, etc. There are certain server + client software systems where the interactions between server and client are complex enough that one single version (i.e. the latest) of server-side software cannot keep simultaneously serving clients of different versions (and MSFS is a scenario more complex than just streaming or "pushing out" of data to clients). MSFS is a system with a lot of complex interactions back & forth between server and client, so the clients needs to be updated and be on the latest level of code to match the server-side, in order to correctly function with the server-side.

Of course MS/Asobo could maintain and deploy multiple sets of services each to serve specific versions of clients but that becomes unwieldy fast and also doesn't make sense for multi-player and other aspects of the sim (especially just in order to serve a back-level client fixpack i.e. SU14 vs SU13 vs SU12). That said, given that MS/Asobo plan to keep supporting v2020 for multiple years after v2024 releases, that is an example where they'll be spending the extra cost/effort to deploy two sets of services to serve both v2020 and v2024 clients simultaneously, since it makes much more sense to do so in order to support users of the two major versions of the sim. Requiring those users to be on the latest fixpack of their respect major-version sim client is not an unreasonable ask.. and for those who don't like the client/server nature of MSFS they can always use legacy sims doing it the old way 🙂

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, Franz007 said:

Hasn‘t it touched your mind that their infrastructure wouldn‘t be that small if they got the same numbers of users and money?

It should have touched your mind that my point is that they're doing things the way they do because of their current situation. It's not a matter of them being smarter despite being smaller, it's about setting up their systems to accommodate their current numbers and methods. You also completely missed that I said *right now*. MS is dealing with things on a completely different level than they are so the comparison is moot.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

44 minutes ago, Krakin said:

It should have touched your mind that my point is that they're doing things the way they do because of their current situation. It's not a matter of them being smarter despite being smaller, it's about setting up their systems to accommodate their current numbers and methods. You also completely missed that I said *right now*. MS is dealing with things on a completely different level than they are so the comparison is moot.

Sorry but it looks like you missed my point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM