Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Frame generation for all RTX cards

20 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

If I understand correctly, this hack is NOT activating nvidia frame generation in cards below the 40 series, which I suspect strongly is genuinly not possible.

Instead, its simply substituiting/interjecting AMD's already card-agnostic FSR technology in such a way as make a given game think its accessing frame generation while actually using AMD's FSR instead.

Which is cool and all, but I think FSR will be coming to most/many games soon anyways, so....... 

Yes this is exactly what the hack is doing. From the GitHub page…

About

Adds AMD FSR3 Frame Generation to games by replacing Nvidia DLSS-G Frame Generation (nvngx_dlssg).

…it uses the local known-name DLL trick (nvngx.dll in this case) to redirect part of the graphics pipeline through the custom FSR DLL. They called that “dlssg_to_fsr3_amd_is_better.dll”!

Edited by boez
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

If you're using the built in fps counter or shift z it won't register.  You need to look at a fps overlay like MSI afterburner or possibly the Nvidia on screen overlay.

Yes, I've been monitoring it with the Nvidia overlay.  When MSFS is the active window I see 60 FPS on the overlay and when I click over to second monitor the overlay shows the "actual" FPS of anywhere between 30 and 45.

More important than an FPS counter is the visual difference between 35 and 60 FPS.  I don't need an FPS counter to see that difference.

• Like 1

Ryan

11 minutes ago, Zcott said:

Thanks, shame about this. 

Not really a shame because we already have the technology and have for years, if FG was included for VR it wouldn't be much different from Motion Reprojection and if used side by side it probably wouldn't do much if anything. That's what I gather from techies more in the know than I when I've asked them about FG. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

8 minutes ago, boez said:

Yes this is exactly what the hack is doing. From the GitHub page…

About

Adds AMD FSR3 Frame Generation to games by replacing Nvidia DLSS-G Frame Generation (nvngx_dlssg).

…it uses the local known-name DLL trick (nvngx.dll in this case) to redirect part of the graphics pipeline through the custom FSR DLL. They called that “dlssg_to_fsr3_amd_is_better.dll”!

And FSR-2 is already in MSFS.

If one is super-eager, or just likes to tinker, this is..... fine.

But I suspect a fairly short wait will see an official implementation in MSFS.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

One caveat: this does not work with HDR according to the GitHub site. I'll give this a pass until then, as I enjoy the HDR image quality so much and am typically getting 50 fps or even more with the default arrangement. Plus my monitor won't run above 60 Hz anyway. 

Honestly, I can't much tell when I'm running 60 fps vs 30 fps, so there's no point in reaching for anything faster. Must be all those years I spent looking at 30Hz screens.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

Yeah, HAGS enabled and rebooted, I am using DX12 and I copied the 2 files into the directory containing the msfs exe.

The only mistake I made was double clicking the reg file.  I didn't have an option to merge in the dialogue menu though.

I don't see MERGE either and I doubled clicked it as well...What now?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

8 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

If one is super-eager, or just likes to tinker, this is..... fine.

Haha that’s me! Even though I have a 4090 I gave it a try out of curiosity and I’ve got to say as a free mod it’s effective. There are the limitations described in this thread but overall it works. I’ve no comment on whether it’s better than nvidia’s FG as, since it stopped working with true vsync earlier this year, I stopped using it and so I’ve little experience to use in a meaningful comparison. That limitation (of true vsync) also applies to this mod BTW. 

Edited by boez

5 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

If on Windows 11 look for "Show More Options" after you right click.

Ryan

8 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

Double click does exactly the same as merge. You should have seen a pop up box asking you “are you sure you want to continue?”. If you clicked yes then the reg file has been “merged”…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rjack1282 said:

If on Windows 11 look for "Show More Options" after you right click.

Thanks! And where do I drop these in, I can't find the folder...I have Steam.

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

9 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

You need to unzip the zip first to see "Merge" (Win 10)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

1 minute ago, jrw4 said:

Honestly, I can't much tell when I'm running 60 fps vs 30 fps, so there's no point in reaching for anything faster

Really? It's night and day difference.

I'm testing the mod right now, on my "old" 3090, and I get a steady 60 fps, with PMDG 737-800, parked at FSDT KORD, at 5120x1440 32:9, I barely hit 40 before but, to prevent tearing I locked it at 30 fps so, going from 30 to 60 on that large 49" screen was like getting a whole new computer!

Yes, there are visual artifacts, a lot of them when rotating the view when there are 2D elements visible on screen (like open menus), but it works great, and it might give a glimpse of what an eventual official FSR3 implementation in the sim would look like.

I think users gaining the most from this mode, are those with 3080/3090s, which while still perfectly capable cards, have been rendered "obsolete" by the 4000-series, because nVidia wanted to make the new ones appear much better than they really are, by not allowing frame generation on the previous models.

If you own a good card like a 3080/3090 (I think even something like a 2080Ti should work well), wait at least for the official FSR3 implementation by Asobo before deciding to buy a 4000.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

One caveat: this does not work with HDR according to the GitHub site. I'll give this a pass until then, as I enjoy the HDR image quality so much and am typically getting 50 fps or even more with the default arrangement. Plus my monitor won't run above 60 Hz anyway. 

Honestly, I can't much tell when I'm running 60 fps vs 30 fps, so there's no point in reaching for anything faster. Must be all those years I spent looking at 30Hz screens.

With HDR, that’s not my experience so far. Just tried it and it works normally. So far, I’m really impressed with this. Doubled my framerate on an RTX 3090. Early christmas.

Jack

Edited by jschaper
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

Thanks! And where do I drop these in, I can't find the folder...I have Steam.

Sorry I have the store version...someone else will need to chime in.

Ryan

11 minutes ago, rjack1282 said:

Sorry I have the store version...someone else will need to chime in.

It should be:

For Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator

For MS Store: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_VERSION NUMBER__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png