Sign in to follow this  
jjf

Still no historical weather options for MSFS?

3 minutes ago, Damian Clark said:

Ok, I disagree with you, that's all.  I guess the thread I mentioned and it's closing posts say it all, IMO.  But whatever opinion you have, that's fine, I look forward to you harping on about it as much as I harp on about mine.  🙂

spacer.png

Damien that post contains one opinion saying Microsoft should keep things as they are. The rest of it basically regrets the options we users are currently stuck with and would welcome an opening up of the weather system by means of the very api you’ve been asking for!

That thread was locked by a bot ten months after discussion ceased. That’s how their forum software works. At least the bot was polite enough to add a note!😆

For what it’s worth, I think you’re an obviously dedicated guy who is the master of his subject and given the opportunity could bring a great deal to this sim in areas where it has nowhere near reached its full potential.

I agree with the suggestions that you should have been brought on board to deal with the weather in the same way that Working Title have been to enhance the avionics.

Any reasonable person can see that it must be absolutely soul destroying to see a successful business built up over two decades go rapidly down the pan over the last couple of years and I wish you nothing but success with what you’re trying to do now. 

I think you are neither strange nor laughable but the idea that you and your company have been the subject of any sort of organised campaign by mysterious individuals to do you down - something of a continuous theme - really would seem laughable on the evidence presented and in my opinion you do yourself and possibly your product a disservice by - as you yourself put it - harping on about it.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Damien that post contains one opinion saying Microsoft should keep things as they are. The rest of it basically regrets the options we users are currently stuck with and would welcome an opening up of the weather system by means of the very api you’ve been asking for!

That thread was locked by a bot ten months after discussion ceased. That’s how their forum software works. At least the bot was polite enough to add a note!😆

For what it’s worth, I think you’re an obviously dedicated guy who is the master of his subject and given the opportunity could bring a great deal to this sim in areas where it has nowhere near reached its full potential.

I agree with the suggestions that you should have been brought on board to deal with the weather in the same way that Working Title have been to enhance the avionics.

Any reasonable person can see that it must be absolutely soul destroying to see a successful business built up over two decades go rapidly down the pan over the last couple of years and I wish you nothing but success with what you’re trying to do now. 

I think you are neither strange nor laughable but the idea that you and your company have been the subject of any sort of organised campaign by mysterious individuals to do you down - something of a continuous theme - really would seem laughable on the evidence presented and in my opinion you do yourself and possibly your product a disservice by - as you yourself put it - harping on about it.

Well said. In Damian's defense, while the screenshot posted was not a great indication of the opinions against the opening up of MSFS weather, there certainly were many of them and quite vocal about, including here on Avsim.

Anyway, time to move on and hope that ASFS' success prompts MS to revisit/modify its stance on weather writing access.

44 minutes ago, VHOJT said:

If you read my post, it's not your opinion I called you out on. It was the rude way you were referring to others.

I'm not going to sit here replying to you all day, I just ask that you treat others with a bit more respect and address them politely.

As an aside, I have noted your presence in quite a few topics such as this one, where you don't seem to have an interest in the topic itself, rather you like to argue for the sake of it. Maybe I'm wrong, but your posts would be much more mature and pleasant to read if they weren't addressing people rudely and not throwing stones that don't need throwing. 

Thank you for your opinion. All I can suggest is you either put me on ignore or write to my parents.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Thank you for your opinion. All I can suggest is you either put me on ignore or write to my parents.

I thought your recent post was much nicer so I'll skip writing to them on this occasion. 😅

Edited by VHOJT
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Damien that post contains one opinion saying Microsoft should keep things as they are.

You didn't read the thread obviously.  I never said there's any organized campaign or conspiracy.  I simply said that I feel it's had an negative influence, or at least certainly hasn't helped change developer sentiment and I'm frustrated with that.  But I appreciate your thoughts.  You're right about some things.

Edited by Damian Clark

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

4 hours ago, Damian Clark said:

You didn't read the thread obviously.  I never said there's any organized campaign or conspiracy.  I simply said that I feel it's had an negative influence, or at least certainly hasn't helped change developer sentiment and I'm frustrated with that.  But I appreciate your thoughts.  You're right about some things.

There's an episode of the great Frasier (original) series where one listener out of thousands doesn't like his show, he goes on a rampage to find out why instead of focusing on the thousands that like him. 

AS is of course your baby, so when you read negative posts (even if they aren't that negative) it'll hit you harder, my advice is to ignore them and stop posting about this "vocal minority" as, there's a "vocal majority" who love your work - and myself as a case in point - a potential new fan & follower as I've never used AS in any sim before.

• Like 3

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

3 minutes ago, MarcG said:

There's an episode of the great Frasier (original) series where one listener out of thousands doesn't like his show, he goes on a rampage to find out why instead of focusing on the thousands that like him. 

AS is of course your baby, so when you read negative posts (even if they aren't that negative) it'll hit you harder, my advice is to ignore them and stop posting about this "vocal minority" as, there's a "vocal majority" who love your work - and myself as a case in point - a potential new fan & follower as I've never used AS in any sim before.

This. Let's just move on. Getting Active Sky with all its features into MSFS will be a milestone for flightsimming.

• Like 2

Ok, now all this is sorted, release it! 😁

• Like 3

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Posted (edited)

Late to the "party"... with an already long thread where most people drop opinions without knowing everything about what is really involved, both regarding MS / ASOBO's decision to close weather API to 3pds and HiFi or any 3rd party capabilities to overcome those limitations and offer alternatives.

I used ASFS, and HONESTLY I think it is more than worth the use, even with it's necessary limitations when run on native mode, because it offers details that I couldn't find or found incorrectly modeled in MSFS weather engine.

Things like a correct blend between METAR-based depiction and "aloft" forecast, where details like those of wind gradients can look a lot more consistent than in default MSFS where sometimes as you transition into the area covered by a local METAR you get a considerable increase in wind intensity, comming from CALM winds above, or the way ASOBO models temperature effects on pressure gradient, turbulence and shear effects, ...

ASFS fine-tunes most of these effects and adds to the weather simulation a very consistent base, from it's usual sources, that years of experience in modelling and injecting weather into flightsims has consolidated into what I still consider the Best Weather Engine available for the MS FS and XP franchises... I would just LOVE if one day Damian could turn to platforms like DCS World or IL-2 Great Battles and offer those platforms a weather simulation like the one we can have in FSX, P3D, XP and now also MSFS 2020...

Will MSFS 2024 make it redundant? We really don't know! There are only expectations, just as the ones I had along the MSFS 2020 ride. Stuff like soaring weather and the way it gets modeled in MSFS 2020 show how far from reality the approach followed by ASOBO to model, for instance, thermals, or even some aspects of mountain effects, stands... Should soaring weather IRL be even 25% as effective as it is in MSFS2020, we would all be World Gliding Champions 🙂

Consistency, coherency is what lacks in various aspects of physics modelling in MSFS, from the flight dynamics, ground physics, aircraft systems to weather, and even some aspects of the modeling of the World, something that in some aspects MSFS 2020 does better than any other platform I have used so far, with the exception of some custom sceneries available, for instance, for DCS World or X-Plane... Lighting for example needs attention, even the daylight as you approach dusk or dawn can differ considerably from what you see at the same place on Earth and date / time, which is a major failure in the representation of Real World scenarios, and yet I seldom see mention to these in the thousands of threads I have read about MSFS 2020.

I look fwd into MSFS 2024 and to see what it brings of new to the aspects of FLIGH SIMULATION that are fundamental to me... In the meanwhile I am glad I could use ASFS and feel again "at home" with it's sound and easy to use user interface, and getting most of the features I always found 2nd to no other products in the way they have been represented since the early days of Hi Fi, now in the new kid in town - MSFS... I just hope that at least MSFS 2024 doesn't close, even more, to 3pds the fine tunning of details that are fundamental in FLIGH SIMULATION...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 4

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

9 hours ago, mmcmah said:

Introductory pricing for ASFS is 23.00 EUR + Taxes/VAT. See your preferred reseller for more information on final pricing with currency conversion and tax. Pricing is subject to change!

I was expecting it to be way higher as the retail price for the P3D version is usually around $39.99

I still don't know if it will have the same fonctions as the P3D version but for $23 + tax, this is a risk I can take.

Great price, that's almost half of the P3D price! If it was 40 or 50 bucks, I'd have waited for videos on how much the transitions could potentially annoy me, but at that price it's worth it for the turbulence effects alone. Or historical weather alone. I'll buy it the moment it releases. Get it out!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Damian Clark said:
21 hours ago, vonmar said:

Will AS for MSFS2020 come with a e.g., 30 day refund policy?

Will it be a free upgrade for MSFS2024?

We don't offer refunds or trial periods on digital products, but some resellers do.  Please check our resellers for their policies when it goes live.

MSFS2024 is totally unknown to us and we can't promise anything but we're intending to make it freely compatible if at all possible.

Thanks for the reply and additional information.

Edited by vonmar
Removed a dupe quote
  • Like 1

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

As ASFS has been released this seems an opportune time to close this discussion.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather