Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

When will PMDG weather radar be available?

I don’t understand?

as I see other aircraft’s like the fenix a320?

implemented? Correct me if I am wrong?

thanks

mike

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

I don’t understand?

as I see other aircraft’s like the fenix a320?

implemented? Correct me if I am wrong?

thanks

mike

The Fenix does not have weather radar either.

Devs of high fidelity aircraft in the sim seem to be in agreement that they cannot get the data they need from the sim in a way that would allow them to produce accurate airborne wx radar.

It's often said in forums that all that's available is a 2d, top-down display that we would call a "composite reflectivity" display in the real world.  This isn't actually true; Matt from Working Title demonstrated quite a while back that the airborne wx radar beam is conical and affected by altitude.  Tilt control does not exist however.

So basically, whatever the details, the sim does not expose the needed information for realistic radar.  Those aircraft that have it are either using a data link reflectivity display, or a conical beam that can't be tilted.

• Like 9

Andrew Crowley

Now that this pressing question was answered it may be the time to change that thread’s title into something meaningful. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Has it been mentioned on their Q&A sessions that they intend to give access to this data still during this 2020 cycle?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 hours ago, DAD said:

Now that this pressing question was answered it may be the time to change that thread’s title into something meaningful. 

Yes.  For 2024, could all users please try to make a New Years resolution to put a descriptive or more helpful title to the thread. 

It is getting almost like click bait or attention seeking just lately.  I know Mike didn't mean it that way, but simply putting "PMDG 737 Weather Radar?" rather than just "When?" would have been much more helpful.

As for the weather radar, at least is shows precipitation rather than just clouds now, and that is the correct way (Asobo made that change some time ago).  And I have used it in the Carenado light aircraft to skirt around precipitation some times, but in the bigger aircraft, light the PMDG 737, I just tend to blast through it anyway.

For the ones that don't implement it.  My opinion would be to use what Asobo currently have rather than nothing, and just put out the disclaimer that it is not how they would want to implement it themselves.  That is better than nothing at least.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

clickbait

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

5 hours ago, pan pan pan said:

I believe its not in PMDG's hands, but ASOBO's .

I could be wrong though.

Do not believe it is ASOBO's hands.  Other aircraft already have it implemented.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tierborn said:

Do not believe it is ASOBO's hands.  Other aircraft already have it implemented.

It's not a true weather radar, thus good developers tend not to implement it since it's not a realistic depiction.

As for the API i honestly doubt ASOBO will implement it in MSFS, it's time to draw people's attention to the new version now for more money. It might be "retrofitted" later on but i wouldn't count on it before the new version has been released. Please prove be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

edited title 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Please PMDG (and Aerosoft) give us what is available. As others have stated. some form of weather radar is available from other developers, and it does work pretty good...

• Like 1

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

3 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

It's not a true weather radar, thus good developers tend not to implement it since it's not a realistic depiction.

Plenty of 'good' developers seem to use it to good effect. 

Apart from a lack of a tilt function what is not realistic about it's depiction?

I got the impression from the PMDG forum that they were unaware it had been worked on from the original release.

The "it's just a bit map" line is palpable nonsense.

Works well with live weather too... 

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Like 2

Again, there are a lot of thing not pretty realistic in PMDG aircraft. So there is always compromise. To me not willingness no implement WX radar as is with imitation is rather excuse than a good reason. Leonardo MD80 has it, Inbuilds A300 has it, FFS E-jets has it and so on

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Thanks for the replies guys.

sorry about the title , did not mean it to be click bait.

i was flying through a storm cell and I thought ,well I wish we had a working weather radar.

mike

• Like 2