Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

FBW 32N review...

why do some who engage in pilot cosplay express animus towards a real airline pilot who happens to enjoy fs as a hobby?  this is a weird place.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Because this is avsim forum. Nowhere else you will find more of yesterdays gatekeeping trolls 😀

I like 737driver/A330drivers videos and honest opinions. its always salted with some real airliner experience in the back. 😇

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, kdfw__ said:

why do some who engage in pilot cosplay express animus towards a real airline pilot who happens to enjoy fs as a hobby?  this is a weird place.

Thanks for writing your opinion openly down here. I also find some of the people here posting very accusing and disrespectful things. Especially if we make ourselves clear, that we all SHARE SOMETHING, this hobby of being able to fly in a simulator at home! 

I would love to see people change their attitude and let everybody has their opinion, BUT, reacting with respect and keep opinions accepted as they are opinions.

I don´t find this a weird place. I think it can be used better, yes. 😉 

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 4

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Unfortunately some issues still plague this version and i cannot use it for our VA. Sometimes the aircraft will stop populating LVARs or something similar and upon landing our ACARS through FSUIPC/WASM cannot read the parking brake lever position thus rendering the aircraft unusable most of the time as flights cannot be completed. Lights also stop being reported (landing lights, strobe, etc). I don't know the exact point where this happens but it does happen consistently and after that change from the "default" parking brake to the hydraulic model. Ever since then we stopped using it on the VA for pilots who wanted a simpler model or just couldn't afford the Fenix 320.

Placing breakpoints in the code i can see that nothing is being returned to FSUIPC and this happens a lot after landing and only with this aircraft (i have tested many while developing the ACARS).

I don't know if any developers read this forum, maybe they can help nail down this issue?

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Sometimes the aircraft will stop populating LVARs or something similar and upon landing our ACARS through FSUIPC/WASM cannot read the parking brake lever position thus rendering the aircraft unusable most of the time as flights cannot be completed.

You can check our API documentation for the LVARs that pertain to the aircraft here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/a32nx-api/lvars-events/ and more specifically external lighting is found here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/a32nx-api/a32nx-flightdeck-api/#external-lights-panel. We also have a FSUIPC template that you can optionally extend on here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/a32nx-api/lvars-events/

Hopefully you find a resolution to your matter.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

If I remember Lucky one of the dev's said he hated the FBW.

I don't recall saying this and if I did, I'll bite my tongue. My comments about NGDriver was more about him making statements about our development process or the aircraft itself that was just downright wrong. Like how they mentioned they don't use the FBW for comparisons because our autopilot uses a "hacky method". I had no idea what that meant and it came off a little insulting to our autopilot dev's several month endeavour with matlab, simulink and real-world testing to produce the result we currently have. For things we have implemented we've always strived to stick exactly to source material (this is why we publish NOTAMs) and feedback from real type-rated NEO pilots. Sure we may not have all the features (yet) but for things we have implemented we attempt to stay as true to the source as possible.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Lucky38i said:

You can check our API documentation for the LVARs that pertain to the aircraft here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/a32nx-api/lvars-events/ and more specifically external lighting is found here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/a32nx-api/a32nx-flightdeck-api/#external-lights-panel. We also have a FSUIPC template that you can optionally extend on here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/a32nx-api/lvars-events/

Hopefully you find a resolution to your matter.

Thanks. The issue is that these events stop being read by FSUIPC or sent to the simulator by the 320, either of those. I suspect it's the A320 because only happens with this model and only after a while using it.

Everything is perfectly read when the flight starts, parking brakes, takeoff, lights, flaps, etc etc. After a while something happens and i only notice this on aircraft arrival because that's when i notice the ACARS didn't acknowledge the parking brakes being acted upon. From this moment on, it's like the aircraft has gone silent and stops being responding to any event.

I don't have much spare time between my flights to test this more accurately because it requires a longer 1h-2h flight for this to happen, but i'll try to get some more info ASAP, since i can run Visual Studio with the ACARS in debug mode and check what's happening in real time.

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I don't have much spare time between my flights to test this more accurately because it requires a longer 1h-2h flight for this to happen,

Your best bet is joining the discord and asking for help in the `a32nx` or `dev-support` channels. As I personally can't help you on the matter, and I don't want to open another thread here for a FBW support issue. Apologies

10 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

Your best bet is joining the discord and asking for help in the `a32nx` or `dev-support` channels. As I personally can't help you on the matter, and I don't want to open another thread here for a FBW support issue. Apologies

It's ok, thanks for your input. If i reach a dead end i'll join the server and ask if such a problem has been experienced by someone else and if/how they fixed it.

16 hours ago, JBDB-MD80 said:

Why even bother with NG driver

Because he makes good videos?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Looks like he dropped 737 driver title LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

8 hours ago, Lucky38i said:

I don't recall saying this and if I did, I'll bite my tongue. My comments about NGDriver was more about him making statements about our development process or the aircraft itself that was just downright wrong. Like how they mentioned they don't use the FBW for comparisons because our autopilot uses a "hacky method". I had no idea what that meant and it came off a little insulting to our autopilot dev's several month endeavour with matlab, simulink and real-world testing to produce the result we currently have. For things we have implemented we've always strived to stick exactly to source material (this is why we publish NOTAMs) and feedback from real type-rated NEO pilots. Sure we may not have all the features (yet) but for things we have implemented we attempt to stay as true to the source as possible.

Sorry that is why I said if I remember. I knew you said something. Thanks for clearing it up. Yeah you all do a good job. Admit I don't fly it much but the cockpit is so much better now. Totally agree always best to get points from people who actually fly it than someone who does not.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Looks like he dropped 737 driver title LOL

Probably got something to do with the fact that hes no longer a 737 pilot but flies the A330, hence the new  "A330 Driver" title?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Vel said:

Probably got something to do with the fact that hes no longer a 737 pilot but flies the A330, hence the new  "A330 Driver" title?

Why not to pick something neutral? Or every time he changes job or get another type rating his title gotta change again LOL  

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Why not to pick something neutral? Or every time he changes job or get another type rating his title gotta change again LOL  

I have no idea. We have A330 Driver (ex 737 pilot) and A320 Sim Pilot (who is now a 787 pilot!). 

Flightdeck2sim (737 pilot) seems "neutral" 😉

Regardless, I think its great to have real world airline pilots giving us the benfit of their knowledge and still taking an interest in simulation. 

Edited by Vel
Spelling!
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2