Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Why is it so much harder to land airliners well for me...

...in MSFS versus FSX/P3D?  Is it the flight dynamics?  Or maybe it's the sensitivities for my yoke?  If you don't mind if you're happy w/ your sensitivity settings for PMDG 73x or FBW 320NX could you grab a screen shot for me?  I'm guessing it's more the sensitivities but it may help to contrast mine w/ someone who feels great about theirs.

Thanks in advance

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The first thing to have in mind with airliners is that traditional aircraft have feel springs and artificial feel to give yokes a rigid feel. Since you can't feel the air load on the controls like you do in some GA aircraft, this setup gives you that simulated air load. So in the jet, the aircraft controls can be sensitive, but the controls are rigid. This allows you to fly with precision and finesse. Fly by wire aircraft simulate this by adding lag in response to give it a heavy feel without the rigidness you feel in a yoke. My best advice to you is to tune the sensitivity of your controls so that you have a little lag and a little heavy feeling. I use FSUIPC and have my curve set at around4 for the pitch and 2 to 3 in the roll. This gives me a feel similar to what I am used to in the real jet.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

...in MSFS versus FSX/P3D?  Is it the flight dynamics?  Or maybe it's the sensitivities for my yoke?  If you don't mind if you're happy w/ your sensitivity settings for PMDG 73x or FBW 320NX could you grab a screen shot for me?  I'm guessing it's more the sensitivities but it may help to contrast mine w/ someone who feels great about theirs.

Thanks in advance

If it’s too twitchy when you flare, increase your extremity deadzone. The Sensitivity setting is not what you’d think it is. Try setting your extremity deadzone to +20 and see how it feels. 

Edited by mryan75
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Maybe because the sight picture is so different from a small GA that sits just 6 ft or so off the runway?

Maybe flare a little earlier?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Also remember that airliners are to be flown onto the runway using a 2 to 3 degree pitch change from the approach pitch. Unless you are flying a DC10, MD11 or A330, start the flare at the 20ft call out. A330 about 30ft call out and the DC10/MD11 at about 10% of your gross weight.

• Like 1

Possibly because they feel like a twitchy feather with absolutely zero mass?

• Like 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Note to some of the posters: The OP is not asking about landing airliners versus GA. They're asking about landing airliners in MSFS versus FSX/P3D.

Note to the OP: I think the reason people are assuming you're asking about "versus GA" is because your topic title is incomplete. (I made the same assumption before I saw the rest of your post.) I think you'll get better results if you put the complete question in the topic title.

Edited by martinboehme
Typo
  • Like 4

The transition from air to ground is very screwy in MSFS. It’s been acknowledged and hopefully will be worked out for the next version. Watch the number of YouTubers - many of them real pilots - who wobble all over the runway or fishtail left and right in a way that isn’t realistic. A large jet has a great deal of inertia and simple doesn’t behave like that. 

The only viable solution is to dial down your sensitivity settings and have a big dead zone as suggested. Some aircraft are more twitchy than others. Let’s hope this is resolved in the next version….

• Like 2

I seem to be able to land the PMDG 737-600 just fine in MSFS. I start to flare at 50 feet, and it seems to be very controlled and stable. I have even worked out how to get the thrust reversers activated properly with my CH Flightstick Pro joystick. I just "flick" the throttle wheel after touchdown, and this seems to get the green REV light to appear without delay (there is a specific sound that I can hear when this happens, so I do not need to check the screen).

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

People have different yokes and sensitivities, of course some combinations just won't work with any airplane. I use a Warthog joystick and use - 30/40% (can't remember which) sensititivy on all axes, otherwise there's no way I could land the 737. The joystick distance is much lower than a yoke distance, so by using sensitivity I increase the distance of the first part of the movement range, giving me more precision on the flare (which uses the first part of the movement range, i.e. you don't pull the yoke/joystick all the way back when you flare, you do it slightly instead). But those things depend a lot on your hardware.

• Like 1

I’d say unfortunately the issue is with the sim itself, I love this sim , it’s beautiful, apart from the take off and landing below 50ft. 

As someone who spends at least 75% of their sim time flying circuits and instrument approaches it’s very frustrating.

I’m confident/ hopeful things will be drastically improved with FS2024.

I know exactly what the OP means though, I just mechanically go through the required flare at the correct height and it sees to work, rather than in other sims where you more instinctively feel the last few feet onto the runway. You can tell the difference when using something like the A2A Comanche with its external flight model magic.

• Like 5

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

It's probably of no help, but to answer @Noel 's specific request, these are my settings for the yoke (Honeycomb Alpha).  It surprised me because I thought I'd fiddled about with them quite a bit - but these look like default to me... 

spacer.png

I flew and landed the FBW32NX a number of times yesterday and do not recall any issues with flare out.  I generally turn off autothrottle at around 1000' and autopilot off at around 300'.

The flare-out was uneventful for all flights.  I also flew the Just Flight Avro Vulcan and did half a dozen landings with that - again I was able to ride the ground effect to a smooth touch down.

The Honeycomb yoke has notoriously strong springs, which is a disadvantage in some circumstances - but whether that helps in this instance I'm not sure.  But your TCA Boeing is a fine bit of kit and so I wouldn't have thought that would be a factor.

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

I sincerely hope that a fix for the over sensitive ground handling is provided in MSFS 2020. I do not think that we should have to upgrade to MSFS 2024 to get this resolved.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

9 hours ago, martinboehme said:

Note to some of the posters: The OP is not asking about landing airliners versus GA. They're asking about landing airliners in MSFS versus FSX/P3D.

Note to the OP: I think the reason people are assuming you're asking about "versus GA" is because your topic title is incomplete. (I made the same assumption before I saw the rest of your post.) I think you'll get better results if you put the complete question in the topic title.

I guess but I did state airliners in the title, nothing about GA.

Ahh, I see what you're saying now.  Leaving out the comparison to FSX/P3D.  

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X