Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Your oldest flight sim products - hardware and software.

I’m curious about how long users have been using either a specific piece of software or hardware for flying in your preferred simulator.

I’ll start the ball rolling. In October 2003 I bought several GoFlight units - 2 GF166, 2 T8, 1 GF-LGT and 1 P8 unit. Later I acquired the MCP-Pro and EFIS. The oldest units have remained operational over 20 years.

Radar Contact v4 is my oldest software. I’ve been using that since 2006. Just 18 years!

Both have been exceptional in performance and reliability.

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

It is a pity we cant get RC v4 to work in MSFS 2020 - for a program that old to still be leaps and bounds ahead of MSFS 2020 ATC.

I too use some GoFlight pieces which have served me well over the years since 2007.  I also use a column yoke from time to time, but PFC's customer support is atrocious after they sold me a lemon (I paid for shipping both ways along with repairs twice which amounted to twice what the yoke cost), so I have moved on to other yokes. they'll never get my money or my clients money again.

I also have some low-end gear which works quite well on a back up machine:
CH Products - Yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals (some occasional maintenance required on pot replacement)

Software:  Well the Majestic Dash 8 - I still use the Q300 on FS2004,

• Like 1

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Hi @crosswind. I’m not sure of the reasons why RC4 is incompatible. Perhaps getting key responses to be read.

I was quite close to buying PFC gear but held back because of the high prices. Given the problems you’ve had it was a wise decision. They used pots which eventually wear out. Now on Hall Effect sensors I believe.

I forgot to mention my CH Pro Pedals. At least 15 years old and still working well. 👍

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

FS2004, CHProducts Yoke/Rudder Pedals (still have throttle quadrant but don't use it), Thrustmaster 16000M,

Win7 64bit, 1600x1200 pix (4:3 ratio) monitor.

Absolutely loving it!

Regards

Ed

• Like 3

I've been using a PFC Cirrus Saab Yoke (similar to this one: https://flypfc.com/shop/yokes/desktop-yokes/cirrus-beech-desktop-yoke/) since January 2016, a little over 8 years. It has Hall Effect sensors, so it still works very well. I use RC4 for ATC. I can't remember when I bought it, but it was in CD form in a jewel case. I do have an e-mail record of upgrading to v4.3 in 2010 and getting help from John Dekker himself.

As for other hardware, I have a bunch of now-archaic joysticks, yokes, and throttles, most with serial connectors (remember them?). For software, there really isn't anything other than RC4 that I use; I have a CD full of archived FSX aircraft and utilities, which I'll probably never use again. 

Edited by JRMurray
  • Like 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I purchased my CH controls (Yoke, Rudder and Throttle Quadrant) in January 2006. Eighteen years later, I just replaced the pots in the Yoke and Pedals. (As well, just replaced the springs in the yoke with the rubber band mod...what a world of difference!)

These have served me well...and peanuts for maintenance.

• Like 2

My cpu is now into it’s fourteenth year and still going strong. It’s base clock speed is 3.2Ghz but it’s spent it’s entire life running at over 4Ghz. For five years it ran at 4.6 when I used VR.
I’ve had my TrackIr 4 since 2008 and I’ve lovingly protected it from the ravages of marauding children, dogs and vacuum cleaners ever since. 
I think what has really helped is that we’ve lived in the same house for twenty eight years and my set up has not moved from the same spot for twenty of them.

I also own three MSFFB2 sticks which are all at least twenty two years old now. I used to rotate their use to extend their lives but for the last ten years I’ve used the same one and kept the other two in reserve.

They seem to be indestructible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been using Aerowinx 747 sim since 1996 when it was a dos program on floppy disk. 

jeffg

• Like 2

Jeffrey Gerbert

Hardware--PFC Jetline yoke, throttle quadrant, and pedals (serial I/O version) which I first acquired in 2002 and later retrofitted with Hall sensors and USB interfaces in 2012.

Software--Radar Contact, since 2003 thanks to the rock that is the FSUIPC interface, in use since 1999.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Some great stories chaps. Keep ‘em coming! 👏

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

My cpu is now into it’s fourteenth year and still going strong.

Although it’s not used for flight sim my Samsung netbook bought in May 2009 has been running virtually continuously since then. It receives data from my Davis VP2 Pro weather station and uploads it to my hosting company every 15 minutes. Wind data is updated every 2 seconds. My website is shown in my signature.

The fan failed in 2020 and was replaced. The hard drive failed in 2021 and I now have a SSD holding the data.

Your post gives me renewed optimism that it will last a while longer. Samsung make great computers although netbook production has been shelved as iPads have become popular.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm still using my CH Products Yoke and Rudder pedals that I purchased in 2009. The only thing I've had to do is tighten the wire terminals on all the pots in the yoke.  I also mess around a lot with scenery design as well as some gauge programming and I'm still using my trusty Texas Instruments TI-66 Programmable calculator that I purchased in 1984 for most of the math. I have newer calculators, but still prefer this one. 

John C.

• Like 1

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

I still use my CH throttle quadrant in conjunction with my Quattro custom made quadrant for the extra axis I assigned to prop and mixture controls when flying four and two engine prop planes like my DC6, Connie, B17 and DC3. If I’m using an FMC jet liner like the NGXu or QOTS I have the switches programed to control the MCP. That unit is about seventeen years old and still works flawlessly and is very versatile for a less expensive entry level piece of kit.

I also have the CH throttle profiled for single engine GA recips. As far as software that would be a number of FSX era airport sceneries adapted to P3D, some freeware, some pay.

And oh yea Ray, least I forget, RC4.

Edited by Patco Lch
  • Like 1

Vic green

Not really within the confines of the question, but in another thread I recently discovered that my old favourite ATC simulator Kennedy approach was available on steam.

That program was written in 1985 ! The one on steam is obviously a rewrite for modern windows but it’s an exact replica, apart from a hiatus of about 37 years of not playing it, it’s now my oldest software.

Unlike looking back at flight simulation of that era Kennedy approach is still highly engaging and fun to use.

£3.39 well spent !

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2373380/Kennedy_Approach/

Edited by jon b
  • Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

CH Products Flight Sim yoke, I don't know how old it is, perhaps 15-20 years old. 

Saitek Rudder Pedals similar age, although one of the toe-brake resistance bands is broken now.

And a Thrustmaster T16000M won't last 3 years.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB