Sign in to follow this  
Bushido5

Using G1000 in the sim, do you like it ?

It is not a glass cockpit vs steam gauge preference nor a thread on the proper representation of the G1000 in the sim (thank you so much WorkingTitle) but really a user interface question.

I find the G1000 usage in a sim (i.e. with no specific hardware) very cumbersome and painfull compared to other system like G3000, G5000 or GTN750 that are a lot more user friendly to use.

I know that in real life it is a lot easier to user rotator than in the sim but I get to a point where I sometime decide not to fly an overall good plane (like the Kodiak) because it is ftted with a G1000 and it is a pain in the neck to use it (and yes I know there is a trick to use the keyboard instead of the rotator but still)

Am I the only one who find this specific piece of avionics not suited at all for home computer simming ?

• Like 2

I find the G1000 in the various sims on the whole really good. It is just a matter using it and getting familiar with it. Towards the end of my rw flying career I had to transition to the G1000 and when you're in your late 50s it takes a little to get your head wrapped around all the things it can do (I loved having XM radio in the cockpit). I've been a simmer since the 1980s. When the time to do the rw change in my mind to the 21st century, kicking and screaming, I had the Flight1 beech200 and spent considerable time flying it in my geographic area as I was going to have to do a check ride to prove competence and get signed off. The flight1 G1000 was good enough that when i got in the airplane to train it was much easier. Anyway, to shorten this up really it is just about spending time and getting used to it. i got through the training and check ride okay but wasn't really in love with it initially....but 6 months later it was my best friend. It may be yours too down the road.

Just spend time with it.

I only fly the Vision Jet with the G3000 nowadays and one of the reasons (besides the awesome view you get out of the window) is the G3000. It's so easy to use! Every now and then I hear about another plane and think 'Maybe I'd give that a try' but whenever I see it uses the G1000 I decide to skip it... I know it's just a matter of getting used to it but those touchscreens on the G3000 simply are too convenient.

Having said that: I wouldn't go as far to say they are not suited at all for home computing simming. They really are. Just like any other possible flight system you can think of, no matter how complicated or inconvenient it may be. It simply is a matter of preference. There always will be people who like certain systems (Concorde, anyone?) I (nowadays) like my systems to be easy to use and convenient while at the same time as complete as possible. The VJ with the G3000 gives me all that. It's a bit of a one man Airbus but without all the time consuming boring bits. 😉 To each his own.

But anyway, yes, I also usually avoid planes with the G1000. (Pity there only are a few planes that use the G3000...)

I agree that without any added hardware, the G1000s can be tricky to use especially if you also use head tracking which can make keeping your mouse pointer on a specific knob tricky.

But with the addition of a Knobster the G1000 becomes an absolute breeze to use when you combine it with the right software (KnobFS at the simplest level, Air Manager, or SPAD.next).

Alternately, adding a Behringer X-Touch Mini gives you 8 rotary encoders and 16 push buttons which can all be used to tame the G1000.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malaromane said:

But with the addition of a Knobster the G1000 becomes an absolute breeze to use when you combine it with the right software (KnobFS at the simplest level, Air Manager, or SPAD.next).

Is it still necessary to select the control before you can use Knobster? The best way would be that the sim automatically assigns the Knobster to the instrument you are looking at.

I am using a Stream Deck+ to control the GPS which works quite well, despite it only having single rotary controllers, but it does have 4 of those.
Operating these with the mouse is doable, even with head tracking but entering an entire flightplan that way is cumbersome. At least the G1000 knows airways, doesn't it? Entering a flightplan in the GNS530 is even more of a pain in the tail section, although WT has at least made it possible to use the keyboard to type in the navaids.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I love it, and fly WT G1000-equipped aircraft in the sim more than any other types.    I really don't have any issues manipulating it.   I do have a lot of experience of the G1000, but once you're comfortable with navigation and your learning is secure in how the MFD lower inner and outer knobs work, I find it a breeze.   Most settings are simply hitting a mode key (FPL, PROC, etc) and then navigating with the lower inner and outer knobs. 

I use TrackIR and simply move my head to be over the MFD, then pause TrackIR, before making my settings with the mouse.

Edited by JYW
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 hour ago, Bushido5 said:

I find the G1000 usage in a sim (i.e. with no specific hardware) very cumbersome and painfull compared to other system like G3000, G5000 or GTN750 that are a lot more user friendly to use.

I know that in real life it is a lot easier to user rotator than in the sim but I get to a point where I sometime decide not to fly an overall good plane (like the Kodiak) because it is ftted with a G1000 and it is a pain in the neck to use it (and yes I know there is a trick to use the keyboard instead of the rotator but still)

Even in the real life the G1000 is not the easiest to operate. Pushing and rotating knobs is sometimes cumbersome and even distracting. But let‘s have a look at the evolution of those great pieces of equipment. The predecessor of the G1000 was the GNS430/530 series with their limited abilities and even more cumbersome handling. GTN650/750, G3000, G5000 followed. With each generation of GPS system, more user experience and more possibilities regarding the hardware (faster CPUs, larger LCDs with much higher resolution) resulted in significant performance steps and more and more user-friendly operation.

For me, GA aircraft equipped with the incredibly successful GTN750 are my preferred aircraft in real life as well as in the sim. The touch-screen combined with a clever operating philosophy makes it a pleasure to use.

• Like 1

Felix

10 minutes ago, Flyfox said:

For me, GA aircraft equipped with the incredibly successful GTN750 are my preferred aircraft in real life as well as in the sim. The touch-screen combined with a clever operating philosophy makes it a pleasure to use.

Afaik WT didn't do its magic with the GTN750, right? From what I recall there are two payware options for the GTN750 and there are some sort of problems with the navdata (like using trainer software or something)...? Your touch screen remark got me interested. 😉 Dos the A2A Comanche work with one of those GTN's? I might have to look into it a bit more.

I have to agree that for me too, the G1000 is very awkward to use with a mouse to the extent that I avoid flying aircraft that use it, preferring the ease of use of the GTN750, G3000 or G5000.

I had a look at and in the future may buy an Octavi - IFR-1 to make life with the G1000 easier.

Edited by Vel
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Afaik WT didn't do its magic with the GTN750, right? From what I recall there are two payware options for the GTN750 and there are some sort of problems with the navdata (like using trainer software or something)...? Your touch screen remark got me interested. 😉 Dos the A2A Comanche work with one of those GTN's? I might have to look into it a bit more.

I don't think Working Title has worked on the GTN 750 since they joined the MSFS team as paid workers. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any patch where the GTN 750 was improved.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Malaromane said:

if you also use head tracking which can make keeping your mouse pointer on a specific knob tricky.

Not really, just pause head movement with a button/key press.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Not really, just pause head movement with a button/key press.

Yeah. Sadly, while that works with TrackIR, it does not work with Tobii. When you pause Tobii tracking, your view recenters to look forward.

At least mine does (in MSFS).

Edited by Malaromane

If the handling would not be a bit awkward, it would not be a realistic G1000 simulation.

I like it very much and the effort with the mouse is well spent to get the what it does.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

Your touch screen remark got me interested. 😉 Dos the A2A Comanche work with one of those GTN's? I might have to look into it a bit more.

Yes - there is an excellent option from PMS5 for using the GTN750 in the Comanche - the In-cockpit bezel – WTT Mode

The aircraft has the GTN750 directly available in the cockpit with its bezel. The aircraft uses the Working Title Technology (WTT) to manage the autopilot and the flight plan. You will get more features. This may require a specific extra package. Some other GPS in the cockpit may be disabled in this mode.

Randall Rocke

On those rare occasions I use aircraft with G1000/G3000, I much prefer the G1000. This could be due to the fact that I'm more familiar with the G1000 though. I can't think of many aircraft I've tried with the G3000 other than the default TBM930. I tried it recently and was completely overwhelmed with how to operate it. 

Afaik the WT NXi is still in beta, with numerous functions (e.g. VNAV) still being a work in progress. Normally I fly the black square steam gauge range of aircraft with the excellent TDS GTN750 which imho is very user-friendly. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”