Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

What on earth has happened to all my settings?

5 hours ago, Noel said:

Oh there you go.  When someone believes their controller settings blew up they were just replaced by the Ornithopter and one can simply set them back to their normal default profile?

Not sure that's the culprit. I never touched that stupid expansion and still managed to get all the profiles messed up.

4 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

Not sure that's the culprit. I never touched that stupid expansion and still managed to get all the profiles messed up.

Yes but didn't you install the Dune expansion?  I didn't, and controller settings are untouched.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

36 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yes but didn't you install the Dune expansion?  I didn't, and controller settings are untouched.

No, as I said - didn’t touch it. 

I suggest those experiencing problems take a look at the MS Windows support forums. Many current problems are not caused by addon or current game updates, but are the result of MS releasing 2 problematic Windows updates, supposedly to fix security loopholes.

The January Windows update caused a variety of problems for a large number of users, in some cases locking users out of their computers. This was supposed to have been corrected by the Windows 10 and 11 updates issued last week.  It now appears that the new February update has caused further issues, different to the original ones. There are a lot of postings about this but no proper response from Microsoft.

I was not adversely affected by the January update, but as I mentioned previously, the Fix update last week wiped out all the controls settings on my system. Using system recovery to the point immediately before the Windows update, restored everything in working order, proving it was the Windows update which caused the problem.

John B

6 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

No, as I said - didn’t touch it. 

Yeah, well that could have meant you installed it, but never opened or used it.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Yeah, well that could have meant you installed it, but never opened or used it.

"I never touched that stupid expansion"  - doesn't really sound like he installed it but never used it 😄

• Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Last time this happened to me I stopped everything. Shut down MSFS.  Went to my local MS Store app and signed out.  Went to my local Xbox app and signed out.  Rebooted.  Went to each in succession and signed back in.  Started MSFS.  Was as if I never lost anything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

can you not copy that directory where you have all the devise setting and back it up?

If something goes wrong take the backup and copy back?????

1 hour ago, wan2fly99 said:

can you not copy that directory where you have all the devise setting and back it up?

If something goes wrong take the backup and copy back?????

Yes,
The profiles are located in a path like this:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs

My MSFS is from the MS Store.  In that wgs folder with a cryptic name.  It in turn holds a series of subfolders, also with cryptic names.  The profiles for each of your devices are those separate folders. Both the folders and the file in the folder all have quite cryptic names. To identify them you will have to hunt by opening the respective files with Notepad+  There will be a folder and file for each profile you have created.  For example if you have separate Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo profiles each for aircraft such as the Blacksquare Baron, Turbo Bonanza, Kodiak, Carenado Mooney, Milviz C310, and Hjet.  That is (12) profiles, each in a separate folder.  There will also be a profile for keyboard, one for mouse, etc.  

The filenames do not have a file extension, however when opened with Notepad+ they are clearly .json files.

I routinely back upthat entire wgs subfolder.

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 2/17/2024 at 9:47 AM, Biggles2010 said:

I suggest those experiencing problems take a look at the MS Windows support forums. Many current problems are not caused by addon or current game updates, but are the result of MS releasing 2 problematic Windows updates, supposedly to fix security loopholes.

The January Windows update caused a variety of problems for a large number of users, in some cases locking users out of their computers. This was supposed to have been corrected by the Windows 10 and 11 updates issued last week.  It now appears that the new February update has caused further issues, different to the original ones. There are a lot of postings about this but no proper response from Microsoft.

I was not adversely affected by the January update, but as I mentioned previously, the Fix update last week wiped out all the controls settings on my system. Using system recovery to the point immediately before the Windows update, restored everything in working order, proving it was the Windows update which caused the problem.

This is interesting because I've started running into strange instability with MSFS following the Dune and Windows updates. Do you mean the small KB updated from last week or the bugger 23H2 feature update? I installed the formner. I might try to roll back to before that Windows update and see if that resolves things. Currently I'm finding MSFS will randomly crash or hang in ways I've never seen before.

Do you know specifically which updates were the most recent February offending ones (KB numbers)?

Edited by Benjamin J

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

7 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Do you know specifically which updates were the most recent February offending ones (KB numbers)?

I had 2 updates on 14 February after which I had problems. I run Windows 10, 22H2 and the updates were Windows cumulative KB5034763 and .Net Framework cumulative KB5034685.

Because I wanted to get the cockpit back in use quickly, I used system restore to 14 Feb before the 2 updates were installed, which immediately allowed all my baulked controls to work normally.

I haven't yet investigated further, but it was probably only one of the updates which was responsible. It clearly doesn't affect all users, but MS support forums have been very active since January.

John B

Try to log out from your X-Box account, reboot and sign in again, that worked for me once time before.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I had this problem but worse. MSFS crashed on the initial screen logo.

After some debunking. I found out it only crashed there when my bluetooth controller was sync.. If it was off, the game loaded fine.

I had to Google and find some weird command line launch method to essentially do a factory reset of all my controller settings. Now I have presets for the controller I never had before. Glider, Fighter, Jet, That Dune Circus.   I also now (not sure if it was new to the beta), the loading screen before flight has this ugly screen showing what each controller button does. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors