Sign in to follow this  
mjl1966

Install guide/thoughts?

Searched on "install" and actually found some good posts, but nothing comprehensive.  From what I've read both here and on Steam, MSFS can be a real nightmare to install and set up.  I'm an experienced FS9/FSX guy with a large hangar and airports.  No stranger to panel.cfg, aircraft.cfg, fsx.cfg, etc.  Have even written some C# against the SDK and done some scenery work. (Neither of which have anything to do with surviving the MSFS installer, I'm sure.)  But I am really wary of another tech fest just to install MSFS.

Are there any comprehensive guides that point out the most common landmines?  It doesn't seem that download and follow the prompts is going to work here.

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

The future has spoken.

Once you understand the key dependencies (MS Store, Xbox PC app, MS Gaming Services), it's really not too bad.  I've installed completely from scratch around 3 times and never had issues.  (I've had issues with MSFS, particularly updates, but not with the installation!).

The first thing to note is that there are two ways of obtaining and installing MSFS;   through the Microsoft Store app (MS Store) or via Steam.    I bought from the MS Store, so can only comment on that route:-

1. You'll need a Microsoft account, so if you don't already have one, --->  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/welcome
  2. Download and install the Microsoft Store app. Run it and log in using above account
  3. Now, from within the MS Store app, download and install the Xbox app. (Nothing to do with Xbox consoles, it's a PC app).
  4. Log into the Xbox account, using the same Microsoft account used above. The Xbox may suggest some dependencies, if they're not already installed on your PC (such as MS gaming services). Accept and let it install them all.
  5. Pop back over to the MS Store app and in the large search field at the top, enter "flight simulator".
  6. Purchase your chosen version.
  7. After purchase, you'll get the option to install, so go ahead.
  8. That's essentially it.  Once installed, you'll have a desktop icon. Run it to launch MSFS.
  9. Once in MSFS for the first time, you'll get a prompt to install Mandatory content.  Do that.
  10. Go kill around 3 hours!!!
  11. Once the mandatory content (which is basically the whole sim) is installed, the sim will launch, and you're off.

It's not techncally required to have the Xbox app open any more, when doing the above install but trust me, it might prevent potential credentials issues by using it, as above.

A number of users who have bought MSFS on Steam have reported that it's a much more straightforward process. Especially if you already have a Steam account. So it may be worth taking that route.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 hour ago, mjl1966 said:

MSFS can be a real nightmare to install and set up

Not on Steam, very easy to install/update/join or leave beta.

• Like 3

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I have the Microsoft store version. 
The sim itself is a constant joy. The installation and update process is clunky, absurd and obscure but I’m used to it now.

Do yourself a favour; get it on Steam.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

One great thing about msfs2020 is that maybe 50 videos a day are published on Steam. Such as  how to use the Controllers panel to program your yoke/stick, rudder, quad. And windows Settings such as HAGS (hardware accelerated gpu scheduling).

Controller Setup:

Search by name: all DX commands (controller commands to put onto keyboard or controller buttons or axix can be searched using a partial name, such as : radio or zoom or trim or translate or view).

Search by input: This doesn't search all the commands but only displays what you already have assigned. For instance if you turn the yoke right or move stick right, then "aileron axis" pops up in the display box. I also assign yoke right movements to "slew translate right". Slewing with the yoke and rudder is way more precise than using keyboard keys. cockpit or outside view: the yoke moves ailerons, but in slew view it will instead translate (slew) plane right very slowly or very fast depending on how far you turn the yoke wheel.

Sensitivities: make the controller (yoke, pedals) respond gracefully slow or lightning quick. It defaults to lightning quick (which I hate).

Programming the controllers was the only thing that took me time when first installing msfs. And also for FSX, IL2, X-plane, etc. Every sim is completely different in how to assign and adjust controller settings 😞

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

MS Store has been fine for me, involving 3 complete installs.  I see no need to put a 3rd party between MSFS and myself.

• Upvote 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

got steam version and had no re installs no issues

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I see no need to put a 3rd party between MSFS and myself.

While maybe not 3rd party, they are still extra apps that you have to download/install, and keep updated. That's 2 extra programs vs just Steam.With Steam you also get to properly chose where you MSFS install goes instead of having to use another 3rd party so to link extra folders locations to etc.  Steam also knows how to properly handle massive user base and game updates which according to the support forums, the MS Store is still not all that good at.

Edited by Dave_YVR
  • Like 2

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

10 hours ago, mjl1966 said:

MSFS can be a real nightmare to install and set up.

There were a lot of issues in the early times with the MS Store version. It seems it is better now as  I see less complaints of people lost in the Store bureaucratic convolutions.

I have the Steam version. Easy to use and setup. Only thing do not use the Steam Verify files function at any cost as it forces a re-install.

And after the setup comes the optional download of gigatons of free sceneries called World Updates 😉. That is done within the sim by going to the MS Market Place.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Not on Steam, very easy to install/update/join or leave beta.

Just as easy with the MS Store version.