Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Flickering PMDG glass cockpits w/ panning w/ Nv FG?

I decided to move ahead on acquiring parts for a new system build and found a deal on a new 4090 FE.  I was initially going to hold off on this until I replaced my CPU but then reasoned w/ major enhancements in multithreading maybe the best move would be to add FG so that I could dial back native frame rate from my default 35, to 25 such that w/ FG enabled we'd have a solid 50 FPS.   This theoretically would buy major headroom for my 9900K, and it sort of has, such that unless this CPU expires I can't see needing an upgrade there when 2024 debuts w/ its performance enhancements.  Plus, my only sources of stuttering now relate to insufficient VRAM.

I'm really stunned at FG:  not because of running at 50FPS, or 100FPS which is highly doable here at least up in the air a bit.  But because of absolutely heinous flickering of high-contrast imagery, such as the glass cockpits w/ their white text while panning, or panning where I can see the light colored seat cover of the co-pilot's seat, and also when panning out the side window looking at the side of the taxiway during taxi--the flicker is super prominent.   It largely happens during panning at the end of the pan, where the glass cockpit text shake for a second or two then, then settle back down, and of course looking out the window during taxi.

So yes, what I'm stunned about is that of all of the glowing commentary here about Nv FG, from people whom I thought were fanatics like myself for quality animation and imagery, nary a word about this.   I say this, because after a quick Google search revealed this is well known, and a major thread on the FS forum on this very issue.  I can set a sync lock to 60FPS/70FPS  (native 30/35) and it's no better than 50FPS.  I've tried every imaginable change in how to potentially resolve this, all to no avail:  Vsync, no vsync, Gsync, no Gsync, frame locks, wide open, etc. 

Right now if this is built-in to Nv FG and I'm pretty sure after reading about it it is, I find FG a colossal fail.   After all, panning was supposed to be a major rationale for high frame rates, and yet this flickering is anything but desirable.  So questions for y'all with RTX 40x GPUs and PMDG 737x, do you see this flickering as well?  If not, share your settings please.   The frame rate of 50 or 60 is absolutely not worth this artifact.  But as you know if you've read my posts on performance, I already had sterling performance, so this is a major downgrade, except for the VRAM, and I can see benefits already there.

I'm checking in here primarily to see if YOU also have this, but don't mind, for whatever reason, or if there is a known cure for this aberration.  I'm going to guess there currently isn't, but I ask because last night during a night flight this flickering seemed to have disappeared.  Obviously no flickering out the side window during taxi because it was dark.  But in cockpit, didn't see it hardly if at all, so I thought perhaps it resolved itself.  This morning, nope, still there.   So I've turned it off at this point.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Some people gain happiness from seeing 70 FPS, in itself.   No matter what the image in front of them actually looks like. 😄

My experience with the FG mod was almost identical to yours.  So obviously I removed the mod.

I do look forward to a native FG for RTX 2X and 3X GPUs.

...but sometimes a hack in just a hack.

Edited by JYW

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I find FG a colossal fail

I also removed it for the reasons you stated.  I also went back to TAA because of the slight bluriness of DLSS.

Back to my previous stutter free and smooth 33 FPS.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

41 minutes ago, JYW said:

My experience with the FG mod was almost identical to yours.  So obviously I removed the mod.

@Noel is not using the mod, but native FG on his newly-acquired 4090.

Edited by SierraDelta

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

You guys need to make clear that you're not talking about built-in Frame Generation for Nvidia 4000 series cards. You're talking about a software patch that attempts to reproduce such frame generation without owning the necessary hardware. Far from FG being a "colossal fail," FG on the Nvidia 4000 series cards is the most glorious invention since the Big Bang dawn of the cosmos. It produces none of the graphics aberrations you mention when properly tuned and used with TAA anti-aliasing.

• Like 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

10 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

@Noel is not using the mod, but native FG on his newly-acquired 4090.

Then he needs to update his publicly-visible system specs, which list his current GPU as an RTX 3080 Ti FE.

Edited by David Mills
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

@Noel I have been using a RTX 4090 for over a year now, and I have never ever noticed any flickering anywhere of any kind. That goes for the PMDG 737's, Fenix A320, the BKSQ TBM850 which I am flying right now over Australia, the A2A Comanche, the Kodiak, the new DA-42....nothing but great performance and smoothness that has been talked about for a while with the 4090's. It just works for me. Sorry you are experiencing flickering, because that would drive me nuts. I cannot stand flickering or flashing. I hope you figure out what is causing it. Is the 4090 you acquired new, or second hand? Not saying it's hardware, but it could be. The only time I have had flickering problems with my PC display in anyway, it turned out to be hardware related. This was before I had a 4090 though.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

The only flickering I have seen or "suffered" was in the cockpit of all planes, most noticeably the PMDG 738 and the Horizon 789, which was easily fixed by turning off bloom in the sim. 

i9-13900K | 6400MHz DDR5 (32GB) | GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | ViewSonic 27in QHD VA 165Hz Curved | Windows 10 |

MSFS Premium Deluxe | PMDG 737 | PMDG 777 | Horizon 787-9

Marc

16 minutes ago, verbal said:

The only flickering I have seen or "suffered" was in the cockpit of all planes, most noticeably the PMDG 738 and the Horizon 789, which was easily fixed by turning off bloom in the sim. 

Maybe that is why I don't see it, because I have never been a fan of 'motion blur' or 'bloom' in MSFS.

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

Congrats to your 4090 Noel, try to turn off Bloom and Motion Blur as suggested, use TAA and the latest driver, and cap your frames in NVP three fps lower than your monitors refresh rate, then set G-sync to both window and full screen, I also took the plunge and got myself a 4090 last week 👍

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 3

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Sorry for the confusion for those who must only have read the title.  I imagined ‘NV FG’ would be assumed to mean RTX 40xx.  The new GPU was just installed yesterday hence haven’t updated my sig.

I will try turning Bloom off and see if any improvement.  If not I’ll have to disable FG and be happy the VRAM is there, and also a big bump in GPU throughput which comes into play with certain clouds, though rare.  Don’t use motion blur.  And when we tackle the CPU upgrade we can hopefully manage 50FPS w/o FG.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I think it it can be hard to describe different image "artefacts". I do get a type of "screen tearing" when panning. As I understand it this is an inherent side-effect of FG and something I was aware of before the purchase. It doesn't bother me much, especially considering the performance boost. However, it sounds like your issue is much more pronounced. 

Here's a short video in the 737 cockpit: 

https://imgur.com/44dRLrh

And here's a thread on the official forum discussing FG-related flickering: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flickering-when-frame-generation-is-turned-on/609114/4

This will happen, even at high fps. I have a 4090 and I also see that. Frames that don’t exist will be created by AI. You will specially notice them in fast moving images like the cam panning. However on slow moving images (world moving below plane without cam panning) you will not notice that. AI is not as smart as human eye but we may still need AI to run this game.

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

16 minutes ago, Noel said:

Sorry for the confusion for those who must only have read the title.  I imagined ‘NV FG’ would be assumed to mean RTX 40xx.  The new GPU was just installed yesterday hence haven’t updated my sig.

I will try turning Bloom off and see if any improvement.  If not I’ll have to disable FG and be happy the VRAM is there, and also a big bump in GPU throughput which comes into play with certain clouds, though rare.  Don’t use motion blur.  And when we tackle the CPU upgrade we can hopefully manage 50FPS w/o FG.

I saw that you have the same monitor as I have, so bump up the Render Scale to 130 now that you have the power and VRAM to do it, the image quality will improve a lot.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

10 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I think it it can be hard to describe different image "artifacts". I do sometimes get a type of "screen tearing" when panning. It doesn't bother me much. However, it sounds like your issue is much more pronounced. 

Here's a short video in the 737 cockpit: 

https://imgur.com/44dRLrh

That looks like to low fps, you should be above 30 (60 FG) for it to be smooth when panning, i'm at 70-90 fps with FG and it is smooth as butter for me, but I don't fly the 737.

Edited by Ixoye

19 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I saw that you have the same monitor as I have, so bump up the Render Scale to 130 now that you have the power and VRAM to do it, the image quality will improve a lot.

I used to do that, but it introduced a different kind of subtle artifact. Since then I’ve been using DSR factors 4X works quite well even on the 3080 ti

• Like 1

Noel