Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

TDS GTNXi Pro with Navigraph Support released!

hey guys,

How good does this work in VR.  I have the PMS50.

Based on feedback for the next two days.  Will buy a license by Saturday.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Great news! Instant purchase for me. The only reason i was using the PMS GTN was for the Navigraph support. Now I can finally use the real deal! 

• Like 2

Having used both I am 100% confident that the best just got even better. Great news. 

• Like 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

20 minutes ago, AnkH said:

you can now update each and every AIRAC cycle assuming you have a Navigraph subscription allowing to have it up to date always...

Well, assuming that is the case, I stand corrected. Thank you. Looks like the PMS group is going to need to respond in some way.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

13 minutes ago, james42 said:

Great news! Instant purchase for me. The only reason i was using the PMS GTN was for the Navigraph support. Now I can finally use the real deal! 

So what is now going to be the big difference between PMS and TDS as they both have Navigraph Support?

Edited by Skywolf

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

5 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

So what is now going to be the big difference between PMS and TDS as they both have Navigraph Support?

One uses the actual Garmin FMS software, i.e., the Garmin Trainer.  The same software that is in the aircraft unit.  

There is a world of difference. 

Rich Boll 

• Upvote 5

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

1 minute ago, richjb2 said:

One uses the actual Garmin FMS software, i.e., the Garmin Trainer.  The same software that is in the aircraft unit.  

There is a world of difference. 

Rich Boll 

So TDS is simulating all the pages like RealityXP did for P3D version of GTN 750 (using the official garmin trainer in the background).  But now the DB gets upgradeable for it.  Whereas PMS is simulating whatever pages it can without using the Garmin Trainer in the background 

20 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

So TDS is simulating all the pages like RealityXP did for P3D version of GTN 750 (using the official garmin trainer in the background).  But now the DB gets upgradeable for it.  Whereas PMS is simulating whatever pages it can without using the Garmin Trainer in the background 

That's my understanding too. Makes choosing between the two a no brainer.

Perhaps (or probably) a bit OT but as I said I was thinking about getting the A2A Comanche to go with this TDS GTN, however... the Comanche is an old plane with an odd AP so it feels a but unrealistic (?) to use them together. The GTN comes with options the Comanche AP can not use. (Afaik.)

What plane (GA) would be best suited for the GTN? I'd prefer a plane that would also use the GTN in real life. But I also prefer a well simulated plane like A2A makes them... Any suggestions?

Edited by tup61

Fantastic news.  I initially went with a lifetime licence for the PMS unit on the day of release - the up to date database was the decision.  I did buy the TDS on release for the realism of the unit.  Now the TDS unit has an updateable database that follows the AIRAC cycle there is no longer a decision on which one to buy and use!

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

27 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Yes, so you basically have the real unit in the sim with a fully updateable nav database and charts. An up to date nav database is a must for me so I had to use the PMS until now.

For everyone that has used both, are there capabilities (other than being true to real life, which I will never get to experience) that make the TDS a clear winner over the PMS50 unit (for which I have the lifete license)?

I'm open to getting this one as well now that the database will be up to date, but I'm wondering what capabilities it has that make it clearly better, other than fidelity to the real life unit.

• Like 1

To be fair to PMS they simulate a different version of the GTN. TDS simulates the NXi, PMS simulate the predecessor.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

but I'm wondering what capabilities it has that make it clearly better, other than fidelity to the real life unit.

Umm, if it has fidelity to the real world unit, what else is required to make it better?

• Like 3

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home