btacon

FSW C414 Chancellor Major Update 03/05/2024

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, vonmar said:

I am new to FSW C414 v444 (PMS50) so just initial autopilot checks for a forum reply.

Quick video.

https://youtu.be/M4kCOBwKkhU

Thanks but this is with the PMS50 GTN750.

The conversation about the FD modes not being pre-selectable was specific to the TDS GTN750 Xi.  It certainly looks like the FD modes work fine and are pre-selectable with the PMS version, so that's interesting to see, and thanks for making the video.

@ark

Edited by JYW

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Posted (edited)

Ok, some findings!

I don't normally use the free PMS50 GTN750 as I own the TDS GTN750Xi, but I just downloaded the PMS50 and tried both the C414's PMS50 and TDS XI verison.   Here are the results:-

C414 with PMS50 GTN version

Flight Director modes are pre-selectable, before the AP is engaged and everything with the GFC605 autopilot works as intended

C414 with TDS GTN Xi version

Flight Director modes are not pre-selectable before the AP is engaged and the AP does not behave in the same way as with the PMS version.  NAV will often not engage and many of the AP/FD modes don't respond consistently with mouse clicks to the buttons, or via key assignments.

So the issue is with the C414's TDS panel version.  There is some sort of configuration issue between the TDS GTN and the AP's custom coding.

@ark (I'm copying you in because I was led to believe you are the dev.  If I got that wrong, apologies!)

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

20 minutes ago, JYW said:

(I'm copying you in because I was led to believe you are the dev.  If I got that wrong, apologies!)

No, sorry, I am not the developer.  🙂

Al

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, JYW said:

So the issue is with the C414's TDS panel version.  There is some sort of configuration issue between the TDS GTN and the AP's custom coding.

I can't replicate your problem, or I don't understand exactly what it is. I don't seem to have any problems selecting AP modes with the AP off in the C414 with the latest TDS GTNXi 750 Pro.

Hopefully a few other C414/TDS GTN users here can check also.

Al

spacer.png

Edited by ark

Been working my way though the Garmin GFC600 training video I linked to earlier.

I have come to the conclusion that any problems I was having with the GFC605/TDS GTNXi Pro in the C414 were nothing but pilot error.

I was setting FD ON and  then setting the runway heading and target altitude.

Then when in the air, I would turn AP ON which would cancel those presets.

Instead, a typical, basic takeoff scenario should go like this:

ATC says fly runway heading, climb and maintain 3000, for example.
Set heading bug to runway heading.
Set a target altitude of 3000 ft.
Hit the GA button  (I have a GA button on my Honeycomb Bravo TQ).
The FD will now turn ON
Takeoff, gear up flaps up etc.
At 800 feet (minimum AP engagement altitude) turn AP ON.
Verify AP, FD and  YD all ON.
Select HDG mode on the AP
Select IAS mode on the AP
Set climb speed as appropriate.
AC will climb on heading at the selected airspeed and capture the preset ALT of 3000 ft.

Everything works perfectly and as advertised when done in the correct sequence.

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Noell said:

Been working my way though the Garmin GFC600 training video I linked to earlier.

I have come to the conclusion that any problems I was having with the GFC605/TDS GTNXi Pro in the C414 were nothing but pilot error.

I was setting FD ON and  then setting the runway heading and target altitude.

Then when in the air, I would turn AP ON which would cancel those presets.

Instead, a typical, basic takeoff scenario should go like this:

ATC says fly runway heading, climb and maintain 3000, for example.
Set heading bug to runway heading.
Set a target altitude of 3000 ft.
Hit the GA button  (I have a GA button on my Honeycomb Bravo TQ).
The FD will now turn ON
Takeoff, gear up flaps up etc.
At 800 feet (minimum AP engagement altitude) turn AP ON.
Verify AP, FD and  YD all ON.
Select HDG mode on the AP
Select IAS mode on the AP
Set climb speed as appropriate.
AC will climb on heading at the selected airspeed and capture the preset ALT of 3000 ft.

Everything works perfectly and as advertised when done in the correct sequence.

Having flown with and operated the real GFC605, I can categorically confirm that it is absolutely possible to set modes other than GA GA, prior to AP engagement.   I will try to get a video from a C421 that has the GFC605 fitted, demonstrating this. (May take a week or two). I am not denying what you've read in the GFC manual.  Just that GA GA is not the only mode that is pre-selectable.  

Ask yourself, why would all FD modes be pre-selectable in the PMS50 panel version, but only GA GA in the TDS version?

For lateral control; GA, HDG or NAV can be armed, and for vertical GA, VS or IAS can be preselected.  For example, when departing EGNT, the PIC of the C421 that I occasionally fly in, presses the TOGA button on the throttles to get the GA GA annunciation, but then presses the HDG button, which results in a HDG GA annunciation. (This is all on the ground, before AP engagement).  This is because the inital heading given to large departing IFR GA aircraft at the field is an immediate 210 heading (Runway heading is 246). So taking off and climbing on GA GA mode would results in the FD commanding only runway heading.   With HDG GA set, the lateral bars will immediately give indications for the left turn, along with the vertical GA guidance for take off.   Also, when flying the POL SID out of EGNM, NAV (in GPS mode) is armed on the ground first (with either certical GA mode or VS), and this means that the FD will immediately indicate for the SID, even when flying manually before the AP is on.

Having said all that, if Ark is saying that, as above, all modes can be preselected on the FD before AP engagement, then I must have a strange issue with my local, stock installation of the C414 TDS version, which seems really odd.

I flew the C414 with the PMS50 panel yesterday and was able to preselect all modes on the AP before engagment. Went back to the TDS panel version and again, could not preselect modes on the FD, before AP engagement.

Finally, just to add that I love this model.  It's up there as my joint favourite GA aircraft in MSFS.   I am just passionate about avionics function and realism because I worked as a design engineer in the avionics industry for 18 years.  I am quite happy flying the GNS model with the lovely old Navomatic unit - it works flawlessly and keeps you on your feet.  Would like to also be able to fly the TDS version too though, and to be able to pre-select those modes on the FD. 😜😄

Edited by JYW

Bill

22 hours ago, JYW said:

Thanks but this is with the PMS50 GTN750.

The conversation about the FD modes not being pre-selectable was specific to the TDS GTN750 Xi.  It certainly looks like the FD modes work fine and are pre-selectable with the PMS version, so that's interesting to see, and thanks for making the video.

@ark

You are welcome.

Link to my short PMS50 video:
https://youtu.be/M4kCOBwKkhU

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

If CWS was implemented, it would make the situation easier. Not sure if this is possible in msfs, but used to work well in XP11 with the TBM.

On 3/11/2024 at 7:13 PM, JYW said:

Ok, some findings!

I don't normally use the free PMS50 GTN750 as I own the TDS GTN750Xi, but I just downloaded the PMS50 and tried both the C414's PMS50 and TDS XI verison.   Here are the results:-

C414 with PMS50 GTN version

Flight Director modes are pre-selectable, before the AP is engaged and everything with the GFC605 autopilot works as intended

C414 with TDS GTN Xi version

Flight Director modes are not pre-selectable before the AP is engaged and the AP does not behave in the same way as with the PMS version.  NAV will often not engage and many of the AP/FD modes don't respond consistently with mouse clicks to the buttons, or via key assignments.

@ark (I'm copying you in because I was led to believe you are the dev.  If I got that wrong, apologies!)

Your right or we are doing something wrong. I usually only set my heading and Altitude on take off. The rest of the settings I do on the fly.

Tried it tonight. You can pre-select everything, but once in the air and your turn on the autopilot the IAS and or VS setting revert back and you have to reset them.

I have never had any problems with the NAV setting in over 15 flights in the last 2 weeks with the 414 and the autopilot has worked perfectly once in the air.

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

On 3/10/2024 at 2:06 AM, ark said:

If you have the latest version of the PMS50, then the next things to try are:

1. A default FSW livery if you are using an addon livery.

2. Another thing to try is to rename your Community folder to back it up, then create a new Community folder and only put the Lear35 and the PMS50 into the new Community folder, restart the sim and see how things work.

Al

Thanks

Fixed, I was using one of the new liveries with GTN750XI, so I stayed with the PMS50 GTN750 liveries, and it works OK.

And by the way, where can I obtain the GTN750XI or make it work ?

Why is it that at my C414, the altimeter first digit is a 7, so it shows 70.000 feet at ground, when it should be 00.000 ?

30 minutes ago, solito said:

Why is it that at my C414, the altimeter first digit is a 7, so it shows 70.000 feet at ground, when it should be 00.000 ?

I don't have the problem, and I have not seen any similar reports on the FSW Discord site, so I assume something is not right with your setup. If you have the latest version of the C414 (v4.4.5), then try reinstalling it. And of course, use a default FSW livery.
If that doesn't fix the problem, then I would try the Community folder test I outlined above to check for some other conflict.

35 minutes ago, solito said:

And by the way, where can I obtain the GTN750XI or make it work ?

If you don't own the TDS GTN750Xi Pro, then you can buy it at https://www.tdssim.com/

Al

At last , the new version in the Marketplace.

Lovely ,,so busy flying new releases it's easy to forget how good this is.

• Upvote 2

I just downloaded the latest updated version (4,5,0) but according to Microsoft Defender it contains malware, specifically Trojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.A!ml
Anyone else have the same issue? I've posted a thread on their Discord but have not had a reply other than confirmation from another user.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

46 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

I just downloaded the latest updated version (4,5,0) but according to Microsoft Defender it contains malware, specifically Trojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.A!ml
Anyone else have the same issue? I've posted a thread on their Discord but have not had a reply other than confirmation from another user.

Yes, I had it. Defender said two nasties. I checked with Malwarebytes and it was clean. It's a false positive. I ran the installer and I'm still here! 😁

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.