Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Black Square Dukes now expected first half of April

I am a little bummed that they'll use the same beta implementation as in the TBM. If you're using a normal throttle axis you'll need a lot of input before the plane starts moving which feels diametrically opposed to how you'd expect a turboprop to handle on the ground. In my opinion the way FSReborn and SWS have implemented the beta range in the M500/PC12 is much better and I haven't seen anyone complain about it so I'm not sure I agree with the "novices" argument here, especially in a super high fidelity add-on like this. I really hope they'll rethink this or maybe just give us both options.

spacer.png

I have to say, JF and BSq's marketing for this is absolutely first class.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see a JF server crash when this is released.  Hopefully not! 😎

• Like 5

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 hour ago, JYW said:

I have to say, JF and BSq's marketing for this is absolutely first class.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see a JF server crash when this is released.  Hopefully not! 😎

Absolutely, although they also seem to have put an insane amount of detail into the product as well. 

That said they (JF) have also done a fantastic job showing off the BAE143 v2 as well.

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Posted (edited)

Does Black square have a website?

I can see why the fidelity level of the instrumentation and such gets people excited but is there any information on the flight model?  I really like a plane that has a great flight model.  I'd heard (incorrectly?) that for this plane, BS was planning to make their own flight model like an A2A plane.  Was that incorrect info?

Edited by Cavemanhead

1 hour ago, Cavemanhead said:

I can see why the fidelity level of the instrumentation and such gets people excited but is there any information on the flight model?  I really like a plane that has a great flight model.  I'd heard (incorrectly?) that for this plane, BS was planning to make their own flight model like an A2A plane.  Was that incorrect info?

I've not heard/read about the flight model for the Duke.   But based on the level of details we've seen, I can't imagine he's going to just chuck any old FDE numbers in there.  I'm going to trust that the FDE will be as decent as their other planes.  I've never flown a Duke any way so experientially, I'd have nothing to compare it with.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

2 hours ago, Cavemanhead said:

The Black Square TBM has one of the best flight models, so I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I thought Black Square's gig was that they don't mess with the FDE at all.  They just use the stock default flight model and tweak everything else.  But...  I'd heard that for this plane, they ARE making their own flight model.  Does anyone know for sure?

28 minutes ago, Cavemanhead said:

I thought Black Square's gig was that they don't mess with the FDE at all.  They just use the stock default flight model and tweak everything else.  But...  I'd heard that for this plane, they ARE making their own flight model.  Does anyone know for sure?

That was their approach with their modifications to the default aircraft but these are their own product lines and they will certainly need to come up with some FDE. As MrBitstFlyer said the TBM850 flight model is quite good so I expect the Duke to be quite high quality in this regard. 

Dan Scott

Ah. I was under the impression BS did tweak some of the handling for their modded default planes. Ie: The default bonanza feels different than their modded version.

Anywho, I can't wait for that Turbine Duke to be released and the 146v2 is gonna be awesome as well! 

I think I have a problem 

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

6 hours ago, Cavemanhead said:

I don't usually comment here but I can't believe my eyes sometimes. Do people not read the box anymore? Black Square has always had their own flight models. For one, I'm sure doing anything less would violate Asobo copyright. But you can also clearly feel the difference as Sonosusto said, especially the caravan IMHO. What did people expect for this addon? The C172 flight model in a new skin? If BS can simulate gyroscope physics I'm pretty sure they can manage a flight model.

I've also avoided commenting about some of the other things in this thread but these developers really can't catch a break anymore. People want an EFB then they don't want an EFB. People want more realism then it's too much realism. Oh and apparently people want new beta controls then want the old beta controls from the caravan again.

I don't know if this is a useful perspective but I can't believe what I see people complain about now. The reason I read AVSIM instead of the MS forums is because I know there are others like me who have been here since the 80s. This is the best time ever for this hobby and I can't believe my eyes every time I turn on my computer its so beautiful. I never have CTD anymore since MSFS and the aircraft are all so much better than what we had a few years ago when FSX was always broken. I never thought a flight sim could look like this and work this well and that goes for these amazing addons too that we should all feel lucky to have.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

I know, I have to chuckle at the EFB comments.  I mean, stow the EFB and don't use it.  You don't need to open the EFB to have a full-featured flight or failures.  It's an extra level of detail you can use to learn from.  And I find the latest TBM beta range to be fine.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

As long as it feels nice to fly then I'll be happy. I really like how their Caravan flies, but I'm not a huge fan of their Bonanza (feels quite twitchy). Those are the only 2 planes I have of theirs, but I'm eagerly awaiting the Duke. It may not be A2A level in terms of flight dynamics, but I suspect they've done their very best and I doubt it will disappoint.

I don't feel like the A2A flight dynamics are that great, in a general sense.  The trim is way too aggressive and it porpoises when trying to flare.  One or two clicks of trim and you go from -500 FPM to -800 or more.  Very difficult to hold a vertical pitch attitude in descent.  And once you cross the threshold to flare, the slightest pull of the yoke really cuts the pitch too much.  I've dialed back my reactivity to like 5% and same for sensitivity, down very low.  In some of my other aircraft, like the Black Square TBM, when you are on approach to the runway, you aren't aggressively trying to trim an angle every second.  It'll hold very well, as does the Caravan from Black Square.  The Black Square aircraft in general are much more "stable" in the air.  Yes, the Bonanza and Baron are a bit too sensitive, but I can manage them better than the Comanche. 

• Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired