Further to extensive discussion of the initial releases of MSFS2020_AutoFPS here, the app has undergone a major update to version 0.4.2 which was formally released today.

You can download the latest version of MSFS2020_AutoFPS here.

In summary, this app aims to improve the MSFS user experience by automatically changing key MSFS settings that impact MSFS performance and smoothness the most. It has an easy to use UI and provides features such as:

• Automatic TLOD adjustment when in the air to achieve and maintain a target FPS,
  • Improved target FPS tracking for all modes by having much smaller TLOD changes the closer you are to your target FPS, giving more consistent FPS for a better flight experience.
  • A choice between VFR and IFR flight types, which changes the flight phases where the app prioritises FPS or TLOD,
  • Auto raising and lowering of the minimum TLOD option, depending on low altitude performance being either very favourable or poor respectively,
  • Auto target FPS option, which is useful if you don't know what target FPS to choose or if your flight types are so varied that a single target FPS value is not always appropriate,
  • Cloud quality decrease option for when FPS can't be achieved at the lowest desired TLOD,
  • Automatic OLOD adjustment option based on an automatic or user-definable OLOD range and altitude band,
  • Simultaneous PC, FG and VR mode compatibilty including correct FG FPS display and separate FPS targets for each mode,
  • A greatly simplified non-expert default UI option that uses pre-defined settings for an automated experience suited to most user scenarios,
  • Auto detection and protection from known similar apps already running or incompatibilities with newer MSFS versions, and
  • Auto restoration of original MSFS settings changed by the app, recently enhanced to withstand MSFS CTDs.

More information, including instructions on how to install, update, uninstall and configure the various options in the app, can be found in the readme file located here.

As with all earlier releases, I hope that the app proves useful in getting the most out of your MSFS 2020 experience. I welcome any feedback you have on this app and will do my best to fix any bugs or issues that are identified.

image.png?ex=6607113d&is=65f49c3d&hm=718

image.png?ex=6607117b&is=65f49c7b&hm=365

• Like 44
  • Upvote 4

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Posted (edited)

Amazing work, thanks very much. Nice doggy icon logo BTW.

Edited by SN737
  • Like 2

Sergio Naiberg

Thanks for all of the work you've put in this software. Greatly appreciated! 

Real Life Flight Sim Pilot

Posted (edited)

Same problem I had last time, can't update, can't uninstall old version, can't even delete it. Guess I will have to restart PC when my flight is over and try again.

PS, restarted PC and then I could delete previous version and install 4.2 It's working great!!

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Question...I currrrently have 0.4.1 installed and would like to keep it installed. Is there a way to install 0.4.2 into another directory?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

just one question, was the "open at startup" been left out for a reason? thx

Sergio Naiberg

1 minute ago, SN737 said:

just one question, was the "open at startup" been left out for a reason? thx

Yes, it was taking up valuable UI space and not many people were using it (actually none when I polled users on this the other day).

You can still control this via the config file:

• If you wish to have the app window always open to the SysTray, close the app and manually change the openWindow key state in the config file to false.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

13 minutes ago, flyblueskies said:

Question...I currrrently have 0.4.1 installed and would like to keep it installed. Is there a way to install 0.4.2 into another directory?

0.4.2 is a significant improvement on 0.4.1, including improvement of existing 0.4.1 features, so why would you want to keep using the older version?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

Yes, it was taking up valuable UI space and not many people were using it (actually none when I polled users on this the other day).

You can still control this via the config file:

• If you wish to have the app window always open to the SysTray, close the app and manually change the openWindow key state in the config file to false.

got it thx for quick reply buddy

• Like 1

Sergio Naiberg

Congratulations on this new milestone 🥳

Superb work. Thank you so much ..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Posted (edited)

Today I was at EDDM at gate (latest 0.4.2 released), switched to Auto Target FPS and unchecked Use Expert Options, TLOD gone to prio and 10 and the sim gone crazy, plane was jumped in the air to some other location... 

After the app was disabled. (and MSFS compatibility test failed - Read Only Mode, even with As Admin)

Before doing this, with Auto Target FPS unchecked and Use Expert Checked I had that shimmering caused by frame gen even fps were 60 stable, I reduced them to 30 fps, still that effect. 

Strange that with a previous version I did not have issues (meanwhile also MSFS got an update this week).

Edited by Vali

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

Thanks for this Reset, kudos to you good sir.

• Like 2

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

42 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

so why would you want to keep using the older version?

Just in case I want to go back...

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

2 minutes ago, flyblueskies said:

Just in case I want to go back...

No need to have a separate installation. Just run the installer for whatever version you want. They are forwards and backwards compatible.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Vali said:

Today I was at EDDM at gate (latest 0.4.2 released), switched to Auto Target FPS and unchecked Use Expert Options, TLOD gone to prio and 10 and the sim gone crazy, plane was jumped in the air to some other location... 

After the app was disabled.

Before doing this, with Auto Target FPS unchecked and Use Expert Checked I had that shimmering caused by frame gen even fps were 60 stable, I reduced them to 30 fps, still that effect. 

Strange that with a previous version I did not have issues (meanwhile also MSFS got an update this week).

Your default MSFS TLOD must have been set to something crazy low, as that is what non-expert mode uses for its settings. Exit the app completely, change your TLOD, OLOD and cloud quality to something you would normally use, save settings, then restart the app.

Frame gen shimmering has nothing to do with this app other than if you set your target FPS too low. With frame gen, set your target FPS to near what your FG FPS is.

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 1