3 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

I have that card as well but its my CPU that's still slowing me down. With AI traffic, ATC program, RAAS, FSRealistic etc it still keeps a pretty smooth 35 FPS. Could be higher but I have addons that I truly never fly without.

Cheers! How is the FG mod treating you? I could never really get it to work well enough for me.

Works very well for me with settings adjusted to keep the VRAM at a level with a small buffer to avoid stutters. I have adjusted my texture resolution as written, but there are so many variables that might make a difference. My 2080Ti VRAM does not handle resolutions above my monitors native of 2560x1440 by using render scaling above 100. I have given up DLSS and DSR (blurry displays and ghosting with Fenix) and just decided to stick with TAA+2560x1440 which my 2080Ti can handle very well.

If your system is what you have in your signature I unfortunately think that you might be pushing the VRAM a little bit too far at 4K and that can explain why you cant get it to work well. I guess you are experiencing quite a bit of stutters, thats at least what I experienced when trying to run my 2080Ti at a higher render scaling. Would try, just for curiosity to set your resolution to 2560x1440 or similar with the VRAM visible in dev mode to see the difference in changing resolutions. If your are not using the most resource heavy aircrafts, you might be able to run 4K with texture resolution one notch down (compare VRAM there as well), but I dont know the difference in quality when using 4K.

Benjamin Hennes

Ryzen 7 7800X3D|2080Ti 11GB|32GB DDR5 RAM|1TB SSD|Windows 11 Home

27 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'll also add that even with a decent CPU, I have to be really careful with my settings (in particular target FPS, TLOD and AI traffic). If not, the mainthread will suffer, resulting in stutters. I really have to fine-tune these settings for the best experience. If the settings are a little bit off, I'll start to see a higher frame time variance. 

Thanks for your reply, and your mentioning and showing of your mainthread numbers. I have, for some time now just abandoned my mainthread performance since my sim performs stutterfree. I need to cap my FPS at 60 to avoid stutters in NVCP (vsync on in NVCP and off in-sim), and this causes mainthread values in the 31-33ms area with a beautiful glowing red color, but it runs perfect and I have just left it since it of course its annoying, but I literally decided not to think about it since my sim works. Image attached below is from a video using DX12, framegen, vsync and frames unlimited (cant remember tbh, but might have tried capping in RivaTuner in this video) just for testing and the values are all green, but I did not get smooth performance, and switched back to NVCP vSync as recommended to use with the framegen to work properly. Of course I want to get it in the green area together with a stutterfree experience, so suggestions are more than welcome 👍

IMG-5734.jpg
IMG-5735.png

Benjamin Hennes

47 minutes ago, Benjamin H said:

Works very well for me with settings adjusted to keep the VRAM at a level with a small buffer to avoid stutters. I have adjusted my texture resolution as written, but there are so many variables that might make a difference. My 2080Ti VRAM does not handle resolutions above my monitors native of 2560x1440 by using render scaling above 100. I have given up DLSS and DSR (blurry displays and ghosting with Fenix) and just decided to stick with TAA+2560x1440 which my 2080Ti can handle very well.

If your system is what you have in your signature I unfortunately think that you might be pushing the VRAM a little bit too far at 4K and that can explain why you cant get it to work well. I guess you are experiencing quite a bit of stutters, thats at least what I experienced when trying to run my 2080Ti at a higher render scaling. Would try, just for curiosity to set your resolution to 2560x1440 or similar with the VRAM visible in dev mode to see the difference in changing resolutions. If your are not using the most resource heavy aircrafts, you might be able to run 4K with texture resolution one notch down (compare VRAM there as well), but I dont know the difference in quality when using 4K.

Yeah, I usually keep TAA to 60 or 65. I use RivaTuner because I find the frame cap to be much better than Nvidia from what I can tell. Your CPU has a lot more power than me as well haha

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I completely agree with this strategy, which is both smart and reasonable, adjusting settings according to hardware. 

What app are you using for those performance overlays?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Yeah, I usually keep TAA to 60 or 65. I use RivaTuner because I find the frame cap to be much better than Nvidia from what I can tell. Your CPU has a lot more power than me as well haha

I understand, so many different amazing modus to be used now so I might remember incorrectly, but I believe to have read that the NVCP cap is better to use with the framegen, but might be on a vsync setup like mine. How is your VRAM usage etc. in different scenarios? Took many hours (almost tears, but happy to report no blood or sweat 😂), but a sim running with FG was worth it all so my suggestion is to dont give it up. As I wrote in my first post I have gone from planning a upgrade to a new GPU to not needing one for a long time since as long I am satisfied I have no need for it.

Tried render scaling above 100 with FG, but that caused a lot of artifacts, but that is a little while ago. Have you tried 2560x1440 (or similar) at 100 render scaling to see how that looks?

I believe my 300$ 2080Ti has been my best bargain for years, and for now it has saved me a lot since I dont need to spend double the amount at least for a new card after my system has responded so good to the framegen mod (Cant say I feel bad for not supporting Nvidia when they say something is for only certain RTX-series, but now can be used with older models. Of course some glitches in the UI etc, but worth it). 

Edited by Benjamin H

Benjamin Hennes

Posted (edited)

I will give it another shot. This time, I will try both and keep TAA. Last time I gave up on DX12 because it would crash to desktop.

Did you ever notice input lag while using autofps and the FG mod? What about the ground artifacts (textures bleed through etc on the ground)?

Edited by Sonosusto

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

3 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

I will give it another shot. This time, I will try both and keep TAA. Last time I gave up on DX12 because it would crash to desktop.

Do that, and dont hesitate to contact me on PM if it does not give good results. Its so easy to derail threads with something else so thats why I suggest that if you want given the fact we have the same GPU.

Benjamin Hennes

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Benjamin H said:

Of course I want to get it in the green area together with a stutterfree experience, so suggestions are more than welcome 👍

I wouldn't worry too much about being in the green area on the dev mode overlay. Instead, may I suggest using the RivaTuner overlay (even if using NCP for FPS cap). Of course the dev mode overlay is very useful for identifying whether the sim is CPU or GPU limited, but RivaTuner IMO is more helpful for fine-tuning settings. 

For my rig it's very smooth if I cap FPS to 70. Using previous versions of AutoFPS, I set target FPS to 65, with TLOD Min 50-100 (at base 1000ft) and TLOD max 400 (at 5000ft). OLOD doesn't cause much impact on performance so is much less important. 

With AutoTLOD it's even easier. In the example below, I had to set TLOD max to 300, even at a high altitude, to get constant frame times. 

Bcta3Ly.png

38 minutes ago, fppilot said:
What app are you using for those performance overlays?

RivaTuner Statistics Server, very useful. Pretty much any parameter can be used. Download together with MSI Afterburner here. Both are needed - RivaTuner for overlay, and Afterburner for setting the monitoring parameters (e.g. CPU load, temperatures, FPS, frametimes etc).

i3s6dKX.png

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I wouldn't worry too much about being in the green area on the dev mode overlay. Instead, may I suggest using the RivaTuner overlay (even if using NCP for FPS cap). Of course the dev mode overlay is very useful for identifying whether the sim is CPU or GPU limited, but RivaTuner IMO is more helpful for fine-tuning settings. 

Yes, I might give it a go and see, but RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner has given me enough headache for a while. OCed my 2080Ti, and ironic as it is the culprit for my GPU crashing while testing the OC in MSFS was running all the monitor software in the background (which has caused issue for others as well). OC stable now, but quite ironic that the OC software/monitor software makes it unstable when running the background.

As you write in your reply, I am not worrying all that much about the numbers since the FPS counter in general shows wrong information when using FG so unly using it for VRAM usage now. MSFS out of focus and FPS up to 60 since FG inactive and mainthread values all in the green (60FPS in dev counter) gives me a good indication that settings are well balanced.

EDIT: Personal experience with Afterburner and RivaTuner of course, and for sure very good softwares. Some doesnt mean everyone has issues with it!

Edited by Benjamin H
  • Like 1

Benjamin Hennes

Posted (edited)

As some users have requested, I've added a slightly darker background variant to the 0.4.2.10 release page, the direct link for which is here. The two versions are otherwise identical.

A side-by-side comparison of the two variants:

image.png?ex=661e0f76&is=660b9a76&hm=2b5

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

For my rig it's very smooth if I cap FPS to 70. Using previous versions of AutoFPS, I set target FPS to 65, with TLOD Min 50-100 (at base 1000ft) and TLOD max 400 (at 5000ft). OLOD doesn't cause much impact on performance so is much less important. 

With AutoTLOD it's even easier. In the example below, I had to set TLOD max to 300, even at a high altitude, to get constant frame times. 

Bcta3Ly.png

RivaTuner Statistics Server, very useful. Pretty much any parameter can be used. Download together with MSI Afterburner here. Both are needed - RivaTuner for overlay, and Afterburner for setting the monitoring parameters (e.g. CPU load, temperatures, FPS, frametimes etc).

i3s6dKX.png

Your olod is set to 1000 ? No diff in term of performance ?

Frédéric Giraud

3 hours ago, grandfred29 said:

Your olod is set to 1000 ? No diff in term of performance ?

No it doesn’t seem to affect performance at all on my system. Tested at various cities, airports. Perhaps at cities with lots of custom objects (3rd party) but I don’t have any of those. OLOD just seems to affect airport objects:

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

48 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

No it doesn’t seem to affect performance at all on my system

Here neither on my mid-range system. TLOD, though, does have an impact on performance, the higher the value for TLOD, the higher the load on performance

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

3 hours ago, hvw said:

Here neither on my mid-range system. TLOD, though, does have an impact on performance, the higher the value for TLOD, the higher the load on performance

Absolutely. TLOD = huge performance impact, can crush the mainthread if set too high. It also eats VRAM. 

33 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Absolutely. TLOD = huge performance impact, can crush the mainthread if set too high. It also eats VRAM. 

Did you during all your tests of AutoFPS watch CPU and GPU temperatures? I observed that they can rise to very high values. Lowering some settings in the expert options got them quickly lower again. 

Just my $0.02 🙂 

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)