Rocky_53

Any cure for DLSS/DLAA anomoly?

Posted (edited)

I've dipped in and out of using DLSS/DLAA with DX12, and never really stuck with it, mainly because of the odd shimmering around the inside of the windshield and the smearing of the digits on the PFD and ND etc.in the PMDG 738. However, I followed to the letter, information in a YT video that was part of a thread elsewhere on the forum and have been really impressed with the results. I've seen a small increase in performance by using DLSS with DLAA, certainly worth having, but mostly a big increase in quality. I've been plagued forever with the jaggies and aliasing when using TAA, so it has come as a breath of fresh air. However, the shimmering around the inside of the windshield and smearing of digits on the displays, still remains in the PMDG 738. I remember some time ago about this anomoly being talked about on the forum and there was some suggestion from PMDG that the issue could be addressed. I'm resigned to 'live with' the anomoly but I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a way of eradicating the issue or if indeed have heard of it being addressed in some update. I'm interested in hearing fellow simmers' thoughts on this.

Edited by Rocky_53

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 minute ago, Rocky_53 said:

I'm resigned to 'live with' anomoly

same here.  DLSS/DLAA has much sharper ground textures for me, so I'll live with the anomalies you describe.

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rocky_53 said:

I've dipped in and out of using DLSS/DLAA with DX12, and never really stuck with it, mainly because of the odd shimmering around the inside of the windshield and the smearing of the digits on the PFD and ND etc.in the PMDG 738. However, I followed to the letter, information in a YT video that was part of a thread elsewhere on the forum and have been really impressed with the results. I've seen a small increase in performance by using DLSS with DLAA, certainly worth having, but mostly a big increase in quality. I've been plagued forever with the jaggies and aliasing when using TAA, so it has come as a breath of fresh air. However, the shimmering around the inside of the windshield and smearing of digits on the displays, still remains in the PMDG 738. I remember some time ago about this anomoly being talked about on the forum and there was some suggestion from PMDG that the issue could be addressed. I'm resigned to 'live with' the anomoly but I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a way of eradicating the issue or if indeed have heard of it being addressed in some update. I'm interesting in hearing fellow simmers thoughts on this.

I agree Rocky, I'd be using dlss/dlaa if display digits wheren't ghosting, because it gets rid of building, fences, etc shimmering and I think overall smoothness is better. This should be an nvidia fix.

Edited by SN737
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sergio Naiberg

That's the main reason I switched back to TAA. Using DLAA I couldn't stand those blurry characters in the PFD/MFD etc of the cockpit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

In the same boat with you guys. Some days I can take the glass cockpit blurriness, somedays I can't. I know a sharpness setting improved it, but still not enough. Pretty frustrating.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Posted (edited)

DLSS renders the game at a lower resolution and then upscales it. It's fairly good tech, but when it comes to small lettering and numbers, well... it's not great. DLAA (without DLSS) is just temporal AA and renders at native res, so it should be comparable to TAA (but imo TAA still looks better). I've never tried this, because I don't have the raw horsepower, but you could force DSR scaling in nVidia CP to force your GPU to render at a higher than native resolution (similar to TAA and setting the render scale over 100). That would give the best image quality.

Edited by s0cks
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

All this fiddling for heavens sake - and it doesn't really fix the issue.  We should just be able to have the performance benefits of DLSS without the blurry flat screens.  It doesn't happen in similar titles. 

My confidence in Asobo is slipping away.  Their quality control has been poor from day one, especially with the lack of response to issues and the constant regressions.

The twitch sessions are becoming a joke now.
While we have highly technical explanations of how turbulence works under clouds, they either don't understand the DLSS issues, or make out they are fixed.
Same with the DX11 and DX12 tiling issues, and the user settings getting lost countless times.  What the hell is the matter with them?  So frustrating.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

We should just be able to have the performance benefits of DLSS without the blurry flat screens.  It doesn't happen in similar titles.

It definitely happens in other titles. You cannot upscale without some loss of quality. That performance gain must come at cost. Most games just don't have such small text, like in a cockpit, so you don't notice.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, s0cks said:

It definitely happens in other titles. You cannot upscale without some loss of quality. That performance gain must come at cost. Most games just don't have such small text, like in a cockpit, so you don't notice.

Really?  That may well be a thing.  So this is not fixable then?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, s0cks said:

Most games just don't have such small text, like in a cockpit, so you don't notice.

Hmm, hadn't thought about that. Good point. :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I tried everything to get rid of the blurry gauges but ultimately it was an upgrade to 4K that solved it completely. 1440p just never looked right no matter what i tried. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

23 minutes ago, RobJC said:

I tried everything to get rid of the blurry gauges but ultimately it was an upgrade to 4K that solved it completely. 1440p just never looked right no matter what i tried. 

Sure Rob, but the issue isn't blurriness, as this is cured by using DLAA, the issue is a smearing of the digits as they move. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Howard

43 minutes ago, Rocky_53 said:

Sure Rob, but the issue isn't blurriness, as this is cured by using DLAA, the issue is a smearing of the digits as they move. :wink:

I can’t say DLAA ever cured my blurry gauges though. But maybe because they were already blurry i hadn’t noticed this issue? I will look for this issue on my next flight. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

4 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

While we have highly technical explanations of how turbulence works under clouds, they either don't understand the DLSS issues, or make out they are fixed.

What baffles me is that they’re still on DLSS .dll 2.4.0 while the recent NVidia update is 3.6.0. Back in the early days of DLSS3 (October ‘22), NVidia showcased their new tech using MSFS. Still, microsobo for some reason haven’t kept up with DLSS updates at all…

🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

DSR and DLSS looks really good but hurts performance too badly on my rig.  TAA performance is similar so I stick with DLSS quality setting.

I've tried DLSS versions 2.4, 3.5.1 and 3.6 but am still finding version 3.5.0 to be the best overall for performance and visuals.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)