Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

March 28, 2024 MSFS Development Update

Posted (edited)

MARCH 28TH, 2024 – DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

A busy airport apron with various airliners on stand, whilst a heavy aircraft is on departure from the runway with mountains up ahead.This week’s Screenshot Challenge winner is Forum user Acuario9383! If you’re interested in participating in our weekly Screenshot Challenges, check out the details in the Community section below!

In case you missed it, we recently announced that the full release of Sim Update 15 (SU_15) will be slightly delayed from its earlier targeted release date of March 26. It’s important that we take the time to get it right, and after careful consideration, the team concluded that SU_15 isn’t quite ready yet. We’re now targeting a release for some time in April (exact date TBD).

In other SU_15 news, we released a new pre-release test build to volunteer community beta testers earlier today. You can read the release notes for this build on our forums here. We want to once again thank everyone who has opted in to the SU_15 public test for your timely and detailed feedback and bug reports.

On the lighter side, there’s an ongoing discussion on our forums where players are sharing their memories of their first flight simulator, either from the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise or from another developer. Our Community Manager SeedyL responded thusly:

When I was a kid in the 1980s, my family had a Commodore VIC-20 and C64 with a variety of really primitive flight simulators. I was super young at the time and didn’t really know what I was doing in any of them.

The first memories I have of actually using a flight sim and feeling like it was a somewhat rough approximation of real flight came when I was a teenager in the 90s. By then, my family had swapped our C64 for an Intel 486-based Compaq Presario desktop running MS-DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.1. I had several popular flight sims from the era (both civilian and military) including:

• Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.0
    • Chuck Yeager’s Air Combat
    • Falcon 3.0
    • Red Baron
    • Aces Over Europe
    • Aces of the Pacific
    • Flight Unlimited
    • Sierra Pro Pilot
    • Fly!

We also asked several other members of the team to share their earliest memories of participating in the flight simulation hobby. Here are their responses:

Khoi, Quality Engineer:

My first sim was Microsoft Flight Simulator 4 on a 386. Or at least that’s the one I remember. It could have also been been Flight Simulator 1 (or 2). I have a fuzzy memory of playing it, but for sure Flight Simulator 4.

Tyler, Pilot Tester:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 on a Dell laptop my dad gave me. I used to bring an E6B and take my laptop on roadtrips and try to “fly” our route while we drove it!

Scott, Customer Support Agent:

I dabbled in FSX on PC, but I learned how to fly (sorta) in WW2 Online, a 24-year old MMO. My OG flying game was “Blue Max” for the Commodore 64.

Many, many others in the team have their own stories and backgrounds with flight simulators and we’ve been enjoying reading everyone’s responses. If you have anything share, check out the discussion and post your own story!

– MSFS Team

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Development Update Banner

FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Feedback Snapshot.

No update this week.

SDK UPDATE

ASOBO

• No update this week.

WORKING TITLE / MSFS AVIONICS FRAMEWORK

• No update this week.

MARKETPLACE

FEATURED RELEASE

This week, we’re pleased to announce the release of the ZERO to HERO mission bundle on both PC and Xbox from developer FS Academy!

FSAcademy promotional image featuring an airliner, a twin engine prop plane, and a single engine prop trainer

Please note that this bundle can be found in the Activities section of the Marketplace.

From taking your first lap of the airfield circuit to dealing with emergency scenarios in an airliner, FS Academy will teach you every step of the way.

Included in the ZERO to HERO bundle is the full, critically-acclaimed FS Academy lineup of authentic training missions, brought to you by a real airline Captain.

• FS Academy – VFR: Learn how to operate a light single engine aeroplane.
  • FS Academy – Navigator: Go and explore cross-country flying.
  • FS Academy – IFR: Discover the skills and techniques of flying on instruments alone with IFR.
  • FS Academy – Jetliner: Step up to the heavy metal in JETLINER.
  • FS Academy – Commander: Deal with emergency scenarios in a realistic and structured way. Ranging from engine failures, volcanic ash encounters, hazardous weather and much more. Try your hand at the Miracle on the Hudson, with the true to life parameters, weather and ATC all combined for the most authentic experience possible.

Each pack contains 12 realistic and high quality training scenarios, totaling 60 challenging training missions.

An accompanying ground school manual is included for each pack, which can all be downloaded from FSAcademy.co.uk.

You are assisted in flight in real time by your virtual instructor who will guide you through each tutorial and will notice any mistakes and present you with reminders.

This is supplemented by on-screen objectives, location markers, full subtitles, and more to complete your experience.

The culmination of years of development and refinement, this series contains the best and most comprehensive set of training missions for Microsoft Flight Simulator, all in one bundle.

MARKETPLACE RELEASES

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Marketplace Update.

There are 42 new and 46 updated products in today’s Marketplace Update.

MARKETPLACE BACKLOG

Current Backlog: 420 Total

BACKLOG: NEW PRODUCTS
  Testing Status
Content Type In MS Processing In MS Testing In 3P Testing Total
Aircraft 33 3 11 47
Mission 16 0 66 82
Scenery 10 5 1 16
Livery 40 3 9 52
Airport 40 3 21 64
Other 21 0 7 28
Total 160 14 115 289
BACKLOG: UPDATED PRODUCTS
  Testing Status
Content Type In MS Processing In MS Testing In 3P Testing Total
Aircraft 22 6 2 30
Mission 2 0 0 2
Scenery 12 3 1 16
Livery 10 0 4 14
Airport 34 9 20 63
Other 4 0 2 6
Total 84 18 29 131

THIRD PARTY UPDATE

• As of 03/17, we have now approved 268 (+3) third parties into the in-sim marketplace and – so far 220 (+1) have released 3,367 products on PC (+34) and 3,108 on Xbox (+35).
  • In total, 4,249 products (+32) have already been released in 3rd party stores and the in-sim marketplace. Beyond that, another 840 products (+4) from 3rd party developers are in production (342 announced, 498 unannounced). In total, over 5,089 3rd party products (+39) have either been released or are in development.
  • Airports:
    • 2,368 airports (+17) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 2,141 airports (+17) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 1,620 airports (+12) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 114 airports (+1) beyond the released airports have been announced.
      • 113 airports (-1) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an airport is in production.
  • Aircraft:
    • 815 aircraft (+6) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 372 aircraft (+2) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 291 aircraft (+1) have been released in the in-sim PC marketplace.
      • 276 aircraft (+1) have been released in the in-sim Xbox marketplace.
      • 211 aircraft (+1) beyond the released aircraft have been announced.
      • 232 aircraft (+3) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an aircraft is in production.
  • Scenery:
    • 1,122 scenery packs (+5) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 1,084 scenery packs (+0) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 648 scenery packs (+0) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 18 scenery packs (-3) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
      • 20 scenery packs (+5) are not announced but the dev let us know that scenery is in production
  • Mission Packs:
    • 318 mission packs (+9) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 273 mission packs (+9) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 212 mission packs (+9) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 0 mission packs (+0) beyond the released missions have been announced.
      • 45 mission packs (+0) are not announced, but the dev let us know that they are in production.
  • Livery Packs:
    • 428 livery packs (+2) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 352 livery packs (+4) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 344 livery packs (+4) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 1 livery pack (+0) beyond the released scenery has been announced.
      • 75 livery packs (-2) are not announced, but the dev let us know that scenery is in production.
  • Ships & Watercraft:
    • 38 ships & watercraft (+0) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 27 ships & watercraft (+0) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 22 ships & watercraft (+0) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 0 ships & watercraft (+0) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
      • 11 ships & watercraft (+0) are not announced, but dev let us know that scenery is in production

Community

COMMUNITY FLY-IN FRIDAY

Community Fly-In Friday: World Tour Stage 11, Paris to Andorra. March 29th at 1800 UTC. twitch.tv/msfsofficial

The Community Fly-In Friday World Tour continues!

Picking up from where we left off last time, we depart from Paris Le Bourget (LFPB) and head on a generally southwesterly heading towards the Franco-Spanish border. En route, we’ll visit the home city of Asobo Studio, Bordeaux!

Since the microstate of Andorra does not have any airports of its own, our final full stop landing will be at Andorra–La Seu d’Urgell Airport, an airport that is technically in Spain but serves Andorra, the next UN member nation we will visit as part of our World Tour!

Please note the possible start time change depending on your location: with most of North America recently switching to Daylight Saving Time, the start time for this event is now 1800 UTC, not 1900 UTC as it was previously.

Event details are available here. All are welcome to participate!

TUBELINER TUESDAY

Tubeliner Tuesday - Toulouse to Geneva. April 2 at 1700 UTC. Twitch.tv/msfsofficial

With the brand new Airbus A320neo v2 expected to release alongside Sim Update 15, we will be operating a real world EasyJet flight between Toulouse, France and Geneva, Switzerland. Toulouse is famous for being the home of Airbus, so we’ll have plenty of brand new aircraft to spot on our departure!

Event details are available here. We will be flying on the VATSIM Multiplayer Network for all who want to fly along!

COMMUNITY VIDEO

For this week’s Community Video we join Captain Carlos for a trip around the Caribbean in the Expert Series ATR72-600. Departing Cayo Largo, avoiding stormy weather through cruise, before arriving at North Eleuthera, this Sliver Airways flight shows off the Caribbean in all its beauty.

We really enjoyed some of the great views Captain Carlos chose to include in this video, with a combination of a multitude of different points of view. We look forward to seeing more in the future!

SCREENSHOT CHALLENGE

This week’s screenshot challenge: Crossing Continents

This past week’s Screenshot Challenge was: Right On Time

A busy airport apron with various airliners on stand, whilst a heavy aircraft is on departure from the runway with mountains up ahead.

Weekly Screenshot Challenge Winner: Acuario9383 (Forums)

The Icon A5 flies with sunrise behind and a flock of birds in close formation.

Screenshot by @KotetuP (Twitter)

A Cathay Pacific Boeing 777 passes over the beach at Princess Juliana International Airport on short final to land.

Screenshot by HolmesCZ6127 (Forums)

An F/A-18 Hornet flies low passed an aircraft carrier.

Screenshot by @Johnny_aircargo (Twitter)

A Hot Air Balloon with Union Flag paint scheme flies close to the Clock Tower in London, England.

Screenshot by Jigsaw407 (Forums)

The Cessna 172 flies over a bridge, with the sun visible through a hotel behind.

Screenshot by @2525ARW (Twitter)

The F/A-18 Hornet lights its afterburners for takeoff from an aircraft carrier, with a full moon visible through the vertical stabilizers.

Screenshot by @pommes_l (Twitter)

The X-Cub with water skis parked up next to a rocky shoreline, as the pilot and their dog sit in a boat fishing.

Screenshot by FLUSIKussi (Forums)

The Spitfire engine with fire popping from the spouts.

Screenshot by Stanty16 (Forums)

An X Cub with landing lights illuminating the ground and the Aurora Borealis lighting up the sky above.

Screenshot by @Ikulin09 (Twitter)

Two acrobatic aircraft in "Nyte Furys" livery pass each other with smoke on, with one inverted.

Screenshot by @ukaka5656 (Twitter)

NEXT DEVELOPMENT BLOG UPDATE – April 4th, 2024

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 11

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I first started simming on a Radio Shack Color Computer II in 1985. 

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, David Mills said:

I first started simming on a Radio Shack Color Computer II in 1985. 

pure degenerated luxury.

I started on a black/white APPLE II in 1979. Mass-storage device was my SONY walkman, which had FS II as a sound file on a cassette tape. Every time after turning that "PC" on, you had to reload FS II each time again from tape. the wealthier fellow students even had a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk drive. life was easy, no updates, no bugfixes and no repaints since the only C172 aircraft was b/w only. 😃

who would have thought after 40 years that we would be posting here talking gigabytes and gigahertz.

but if you try to tell that the young people of today, will they believe you?

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Does anyone know if the FS Academy products work well in VR or are they supposed to be used in 2D?

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Posted (edited)

The first time i heard or saw FS was in the 80s at my late brother’s house. He was showing me his setup and he really loved it. When he passed i started getting into it. 

Edited by RobJC

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

The Asobo blog needs to be pinned. 

Mods?

done

• Like 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Posted (edited)

I started with the Psion Flight Simulator on the Spectrum 48 (8 colours I think LOL!), but the first one I really loved was F/A-18 on the Commodore Amiga.

I lost hundreds of hours on that doing the missions over and over again.  The Farallon Islands were the main point of action if I recall correctly.  :smile:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

13 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

started with the Psion Flight Simulator on the Spectrum 48

For me it was on a Sinclair ZX81. It is still somewhere in my attic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI