Sign in to follow this  
spilok

What's the VERDICT on P3d V6?

P3D V6...

Never gone back to v5, as said above in a couple of threads it is far superior to v5 etc in many ways. Looks a lot better and more realistic weather ( snow and rain effects etc) It is fastly different to the previous versions.

Flight models feels better as well. 

The add-ons work just fine but not directly compatibel sadly. It takes either using v5 or the registry methode to get them installed.

To make the most use you need a better graphics card ( at least i do ) but it runs very well and looks and feels a lot better. I havent used V5 at all anymore , other than using it to get my scenery into V6.  

MSFS i use for VR but for my Dehavilland Dove cockpit it is just not good enough. It is nice as a whole package for the enthousiast but just is not real enough as a dedicated flight sim product, it is indeed for entertainement and that is it .

I do not like many of the msfs flight models ( i fly real airplanes 8000 plus hours so i know a little bit about real aircraft)  ., The p3d models feel a lot more realistic to me. Yes i know it does not use any of the fancy Xplane kind of model creaction stuff but it just doesn't feel right .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 4/7/2024 at 6:46 AM, CO2Neutral said:

Sure, I have most of my V5.x add-ons "working" in P3D V6.x, but making them "work" isn't really the objective ... having them use all the new features in V6 is the desire.  3rd party vendors were ignoring P3D V4.x to P3D V5.x new features long before any other platform arrived like MSFS.  I know ORBX were still using FS9 and FSX SDK to produce their content for P3D well into P3D V5.x ... it was rare we'd see even PBR updates.  So even with the largest simulator user base (at the time), it still didn't prompt the embrace of P3D new features.

Only a new product with the promise of "Gold" made that happen ... in MSFS.  Given that I haven't really seen any major increase in development efforts with all the vendors from P3D that moved to MSFS, then that suggests the market is still very niche, better sales with MSFS, but nothing to really expand a 3rd party add-on developers business ... which is actually kinda sad, how many times do I have to pay for the same aircraft and get less rather than more?

In a few years addon developers will start running out of new addons to develop as the market will be swamped in MSFS. Remember when we complained about the same airport being developed by different developers. MSFS will face that problem in the future. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

MSFS will face that problem in the future.

...along with a myriad of others.

Posted (edited)

Not using a calculator, I estimate Just Flight alone has over £3,000 of addons for MSFS. That could be double in 3-4 years. And users complained I have spent £2,000 on P3DXXX addons. It`s clear you could spend 6 grand on addons for MSFS and that will not be all of them. I don`t have any at the moment and have not hit the 100hrs mark in MSFS.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

Posted (edited)

I don't really see where is the problem.

I buy a lot of add-ons but it's clear I will never have them all. I have to make some choices with the aircrafts I want to buy & fly and the destinations I want to fly to, the quality of the add-ons, etc. Just like anybody else I suppose.

People have different tastes, different destinations, so there is a market for every add-ons.

Yes, some developper will walk into another developer shoes, and they will have to share the cake. Or one of them will rush it's product to come first. Or another will have the best add-on and sell more.

yes, It is a competitive market, especially for sceneries developers. 

Edited by sdirand

17 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

In a few years addon developers will start running out of new addons to develop as the market will be swamped in MSFS. Remember when we complained about the same airport being developed by different developers. MSFS will face that problem in the future. 

In a lot of years then... The thing is, the product range in MSFS is way wider than what P3D could offer.

This is for a very simple reason: in P3D, very few countries are really "detailed" in such a way that you would want to venture anywhere else than in a major airport. So for such a "not-detailed" country, the market is limited to major/international airports for the liners pilots. In MSFS you get that as well, plus all the smaller airports in the country because there's actually some interest to explore everywhere.

I think this principle is well illustrated by OrbX: once they produced a "Regional" or a "TrueEarth" area of the globe, they could start to propose smaller airports dedicated to GA pilots for that area. On a smaller scale, they could also start selling some products for the areas of the globe that were covered by their lighter landclass products, such as Global. Now, if we make the comparison with MSFS, it's a bit like the whole planet is already covered by TrueEarth, so as a scenery creator, you can technically product any airport/airfield anywhere on the planet, in any country. It will take a while before the market gets saturated, really.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Actually for P3dV6 Canada is very well represented with addon airports from coast to coast (from SimAddOns) and into the arctic. Couple this with the photo type scenery from FC Scenery and  weather from ASN and it is a very good sim.

Edited by dbw1

21 hours ago, newtie said:

...along with a myriad of others.

Like the servers being cutoff in traditional MS style > The company that will spend 68.7 billion to aquire another, only to immediately lay off 1900 staff which cost the company 0.00000000000000000000000000001 pennies by comparison. 

5 hours ago, Daube said:

In a lot of years then... The thing is, the product range in MSFS is way wider than what P3D could offer.

This is for a very simple reason: in P3D, very few countries are really "detailed" in such a way that you would want to venture anywhere else than in a major airport. So for such a "not-detailed" country, the market is limited to major/international airports for the liners pilots. In MSFS you get that as well, plus all the smaller airports in the country because there's actually some interest to explore everywhere.

I think this principle is well illustrated by OrbX: once they produced a "Regional" or a "TrueEarth" area of the globe, they could start to propose smaller airports dedicated to GA pilots for that area. On a smaller scale, they could also start selling some products for the areas of the globe that were covered by their lighter landclass products, such as Global. Now, if we make the comparison with MSFS, it's a bit like the whole planet is already covered by TrueEarth, so as a scenery creator, you can technically product any airport/airfield anywhere on the planet, in any country. It will take a while before the market gets saturated, really.

I don`t fly the 747 buy scenery I fly the plane. the only scenery I see is when I Land or takeoff.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

1 hour ago, Garys said:

Like the servers being cutoff in traditional MS style > The company that will spend 68.7 billion to aquire another, only to immediately lay off 1900 staff which cost the company 0.00000000000000000000000000001 pennies by comparison. 

Nothing new here. Maximize profits, minimize expenses. It's the root operating system for MS and every other corporation.

3 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

I don`t fly the 747 buy scenery I fly the plane. the only scenery I see is when I Land or takeoff.

Fortunately for the addon scenery makers, not everybody uses his sim like you. Many of us fly many kind of airplanes, VFR, IFR, military, small or medium airplanes, helicopters, etc... For 747 pilots who don't look out of the window, the major airports in the world is a very limited set indeed, and duplication of the most popular ones happens of course. But when it comes to the sceneries for all the other kind of pilots out there, the possibilities are much, much wider.

So contrary to what you wrote in your earlier post, the scenery developers won't have any issues "in a few years" at all.

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 12:54 AM, Ronaldo1978 said:

But I think positive and hope for a cracking, game changing v7 (with new engine) which outpace that MSFS thing at least by usability, functionality and stability.

Lockheed Martin have categorically stated that P3D will continue on "as is" / as a platform indefinitely due to the large installed commercial/gov/mil training contracts.

The new engine that has us all hopeful/excited will be a separate product, may not be for consumer purchase, and even if it was, would likely have zero compatibility with current/past addons.

Edited by UrgentSiesta
clarity
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 12:59 AM, Daube said:

The thing is, the product range in MSFS is way wider than what P3D could offer.

I'll respectfully disagree ... there is still A LOT that MSFS doesn't have that P3D had a long time ago simply because the MSFS SDK is rather limited in scope compared to P3D SDK/PDK.  If you doubt me statement, read thru the P3D SDK and PDK and then do the same with MSFS SDK ... it will be VERY clear what MSFS can't do.  I can provide a LONG LONG list of features P3D has that MSFS doesn't, but for the visual flier that list probably has no meaning or relevance to how they like to do flights.

But like I said before most of MSFS users don't care what's in an SDK, which is all good, to each his/her own.  But just wanted to clarify that product range in P3D is much much wider than MSFS.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CO2Neutral said:

But just wanted to clarify that product range in P3D is much much wider than MSFS.

As well as product complexity.